The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Battle Damage for the Enterprise?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

That's Great...i never thought of that...
but there does seem to be come question as too wheter this story really will have much to do with the original crew and perhaps some other story.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The damage to the Constellation in The Doomsday Machine was about as good as they could do back then, but I always enjoy that episode.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Lieutenant Commander

They always sustained damage in the original series but it was implied due to budgetary issues. They focused on it internally with the Jeffries like tube and circuits under consoles and such. It wasn't until WOK that we really got to see battle damage.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Admiral

I went back and reviewed all the episodes (all hail Eliza!) and you know what? Most of the "damage" was to the engines...they "buckled", they were stressed, they took too much strain... there really weren't that many full on battles and there weren't any "shields are gone" followed by a hit and hull damage.

What I was recalling (apparently) was the ship putting in for general repairs and computer maintenance.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I went back and reviewed all the episodes (all hail Eliza!) and you know what? Most of the "damage" was to the engines...they "buckled", they were stressed, they took too much strain... there really weren't that many full on battles and there weren't any "shields are gone" followed by a hit and hull damage.

What I was recalling (apparently) was the ship putting in for general repairs and computer maintenance.
Which is another good reason for us to see some in the upcoming film.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The Enterprise was always sustaining damage....but as noted, they didn't have the budget on the series to show it....I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Enterprise take some real hits and sustain some real damage.... I'm trying to recall, but it seems to me the Enterprise did have to go to starbases for repair on occassion...I'll try to check on that.
Check out the beginning of Trek III, she was in pretty bad shape, limping into space dock. Just looking at it hurts.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Yes, she got blasted in the movies, but the argument had been made that the ship never had to go into space dock because of battle damage in the series. The Enterprise didn't get very trashed during the show.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Admiral

I'd definitely like to see the Enterprise take a few hits. As I understand it, the ship had been serving in space for sometime before Kirk took command so it certainly may have come into some tight spots and taken serious damage.

I just wanna see, as you mentioned, hull contact. I want it to feel real, I wanna hear the ship as well, sound design on Trek's 1 through 6 were really quite good, though there wouldn't be sound in space. Still one of the best moments is that torpedo hitting the saucer in Trek VI, if the space battles in this move have that sort of contact, then I'm sold on it. I just don't want to see more of the CGI ships whipping around each other we've seen in the previous few movies. When they exchange fire, the impacts just don't seem as real as the movies with TOS cast.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes, she got blasted in the movies, but the argument had been made that the ship never had to go into space dock because of battle damage in the series. The Enterprise didn't get very trashed during the show.
No, it didn't. Like someone else said, it has to be budget constraints. Regardless I hope the battle sequences in this movie do have contact, the last couple of movies just didn't seem threatening in their battles. Remember TWOK, everytime either the Reliant or the Enterprise would fire, you felt like, 'this could be it' one ship is going to go! I want that sort of tension back into Trek. I never felt any of that in the last few Trek movies. I think they got close in the battle between the Enterprise D and the Klingon ship in Generations.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

So it was true that the Enterprise never had any real competition in the show. No hull breaches or structual damage of any kind. Most of the bad guys were small time if they were in ships or "gods" with a chip on there shoulder.

I remember that exact same feeling in TWOK. I never thought phaser fire was that deterimental to the hull. TUC shook me too. Torpedoes were much much worse. We haven't seen phaser fire on shields but after seing what a torpedo could do..it do wonder the Klingons were torp happy under cloak. The Enterprise and Excelsior especially could shrug off disrupter fire.