The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Christopher Nolan's third Batman date confirmed.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think The X-Men universe is interestingly big enough and has enough characters and stories to stay within it's own borders and be a universe of it's own.

I mean, we've had the first X-Men trilogy, there's the Wolverine series (irrespective of whether X-Men Origins: Wolverine should have gotten a sequel or not, it's getting one which will keep Jackman happy because he now has a solo franchise that will sink or swim on his back) plus the First Class film planned - which will no doubt have it's own sequels, plus rumours of more Origins movies planned - Magneto etc.

I think The X-Men universe is big enough for itself without making it exist alongside any other Marvel characters.

That said, I would normally presume that each comic group's characters would technically exist within the same 'universe' anyway, so if they did then I suppose it would be possible.

I think they'll keep X-Men and The Avengers separate.

Do you think they'll keep the new Spider-Man movie separate? I mean, they have nothing stopping them from connecting it to the overall movieverse.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
At the moment it's simply called Batman 3 but of course, it's very possible that will alter by the time of release.

The script is still under development.

I don't want something lame like Batman 3
I want something awesome not like Dark Knight because that movie had nothing to do with Batman.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I don't want something lame like Batman 3
I want something awesome not like Dark Knight because that movie had nothing to do with Batman.
Lots of films have unofficial names before they come out, the script isn't done yet anyway so I think a final title is a bit away.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Do you think they'll keep the new Spider-Man movie separate? I mean, they have nothing stopping them from connecting it to the overall movieverse.
I really couldn't guess.

I mean, Superman Returns was supposed to be the same universe that Superman and Superman II took place in (in theory) but it ignored III and IV as if they never happened at all.

However, can we say the same for each Batman film up to Batman and Robin. I don't know if those four films were meant to be in the same continuity or not (different actors notwithstanding). I kinda myself presume they were intended to be, but then given the clear stylistic differences between the two Burton films and the two Schumacher ones maybe you could treat the first two and the last two as being unrelated and in 'separate' universes as well and it would be legitimate.

I don't know how they'll go with Spider-Man.

I mean, they're rebooting Fantastic Four as well. Will that reboot take place within the same universe as the first two or is it a clean slate? Same with the last Hulk film. The opening prologue alluded to some of the events of the 2003 film but it wasn't exactly the same. Are they in the same timeline ir was the Leterrier film totally unrelated to the Lee one!!

I can't keep track!!

EDIT - though 2012 is shaping up to be a full summer season! Star Trek sequel, Batman 3 (unofficial title!), a new Superman, a new Spiderman, Wolverine 2, and likely more.

Nowadays, they are rebooting franchises so fast - it's not a ten, twenty year gap, it's five years and less now!!

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 05-02-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I really couldn't guess.

I mean, Superman Returns was supposed to be the same universe that Superman and Superman II took place in (in theory) but it ignored III and IV as if they never happened at all.

However, can we say the same for each Batman film up to Batman and Robin. I don't know if those four films were meant to be in the same continuity or not (different actors notwithstanding). I kinda myself presume they were intended to be, but then given the clear stylistic differences between the two Burton films and the two Schumacher ones maybe you could treat the first two and the last two as being unrelated and in 'separate' universes as well and it would be legitimate.

I don't know how they'll go with Spider-Man.

I mean, they're rebooting Fantastic Four as well. Will that reboot take place within the same universe as the first two or is it a clean slate? Same with the last Hulk film. The opening prologue alluded to some of the events of the 2003 film but it wasn't exactly the same. Are they in the same timeline ir was the Leterrier film totally unrelated to the Lee one!!

I can't keep track!!

EDIT - though 2012 is shaping up to be a full summer season! Star Trek sequel, Batman 3 (unofficial title!), a new Superman, a new Spiderman, Wolverine 2, and likely more.

Nowadays, they are rebooting franchises so fast - it's not a ten, twenty year gap, it's five years and less now!!
I know that the 2008 Hulk was a complete reboot. They wanted nothing to do with the Ang Lee version.

I was always under the impression that the Burton-Schumacher films took place in the same universe. Alfred is the one constant at the very least. IMO, I think Forever did a good job of evolving Batman's look and tech from the previous film. He starts out with a very similar suit to Keaton's and then it takes on a whole new look by the end. Each time the Batmobile is destroyed, there's a new one in the next movie (both in the case of Forever and Batman & Robin). Just little stuff that seems to connect them.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Federation Councillor

True, you could link them via Gough. Hadn't thought of that.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-04-2010, 03:49 AM
Fleet Admiral

the Movie business is about money first and continuity later.
If they do cross-overs likely all of them will be further down the line portrayed by anyone other than the current actors and actresses.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Nolan is a great writer, director ... in short a great moviemaker so there is a good chance that his next Batman movie is rougly as good as his first two ones and that it will not be just a flick which follows the "suck out the marrow of the superhero XYZ franchise til you choke at the bone".
While we are at it, the first reviews of Iron Man 2 seem to suggest that the wit and irony of its predecessor are absent. Pitty.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

That's what the trailers looked like.
They rushed it....

Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, Iron Man 2 doesn't look as good as the first. I have a feeling that I might be disappointed, but as long as it entertains me, I won't worry about it.