The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > The Trouble With Trials And Tribble-Ations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Vice Admiral

Default The Trouble With Trials And Tribble-Ations

If anyone's interested, I have posted an extended version of the TOS episode "The Trouble With Tribbles" combined with the DS9 episode "Trials And Tribble-Ations" on YouTube. You can click here to view part 1. There are 10 parts that are approximately 10 minutes each. I used the DS9 episode as a starting point and added in all the footage from the original TOS episode from the remastered version. It turned out pretty well. The transitions are smooth and clean especially where TOS meets DS9. Some scenes were very tricky, but I think the overall result was very well executed. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I also have an extended version of "The Cage"/"The Menagerie" that I may post soon. Basically, I used the TOS-R versions of "The Menagerie" and edited in all the footage from "The Cage" that wasn't used in the original episode. It worked out quite nicely too.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Ensign

The thing that bothers me is this - if the TOS crew can interact with the DS9 crew, then how can they not have the TOS and TNG crew interact as well?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:36 AM
Commander

Because no such story came up during the seven year run of TNG? (I'm afraid that's the best answer I can give, without better understanding your question).

TOS was largely secondary canon as far as TNG was concerned, even though the Paramount-authorized publications (technical manuels, etc) would never openly admit it. Gene Roddenberry wanted to reboot ST with TNG, and even after his passing Berman remained slavishly faithful to Roddenberry's way of doing things. Some TNG writers boasted of having never seen TOS. An episode like 'Relics' (with the recreation of the TOS Enterprise bridge) might not have happened while Roddenberry was still alive.

DS9 had writers/producers like Ron Moore who were more faithful to TOS, and Berman often left them alone to do their thing (though not as often as we would have liked). DS9 was just more TOS-friendly. It was a more 'quirky' show anyway, and being TOS-friendly has always been a controversial thing for ST (except for the new movie, which regards everything after TOS as secondary).

It probably also helped that the digital filming technology needed to do a crossover episode like this had had another five years to develop since TNG wrapped.

Last edited by samwiseb : 06-07-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Ensign

I remember that Trials and Tribble-ations and Voyager's Flashback were birthday gifts for Star Trek's 30th Anniversary at that time.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Not that you are wrong, TOS, DS9 and ST09 have indeed a lot in common ... but last time I checked ST09 was a TOS prequel as well as a Unification/NEM sequel and DS9 used the TNG universe.
But surely you don't assume I am unaware of those facts...

Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

Of course not. There is nothing wrong with your comparison between the four series and I think it is a very good starting point to talk about the series in general (I think that there is a much greater variety among stories than series but that's not the point). Perhaps it is even the best guide to Trek newcomers who ask Trekkers which series they should watch next.
I guess that there is a slight correlation between TOS vs. TNG and DS9 vs. VOY preferences. Let's just take ourselves as examples, you like TOS and prefer DS9 vastly over VOY, I like TNG and prefer DS9 only moderately over VOY.

But it's just a starting point, TOS and TNG are both fairly light and optimistic shows and you could argue that they are two slightly different versions of Roddenberry's vision. DS9 on the other hand injected a good dose of realism into Trek and this has persisted throughout the the other two series and the movies.
So you could also make a distinction between the two main series (which are as far as I know still the most popular ones) and the post-TNG stories.

If you take a look at the fifth series all these categorizations becomes useless and fall apart. In a formal sense ENT was first TNG-like and later TOS-like while the content was, depending on your point of view, similar to TNG, TOS or as I would claim FC.
Or in other terms, folks who dislike the show often hate the formal similarities to VOY while the folks who like it often love the rough-and-raw TOS spirit.

ST09 is similar, content-wise it finished and restarted the circle by interweaving open TNG story lines and restarting the TOS story and people love or hate it for the similarity or lack of similarities to TOS or TNG or whatever.

So there seems to be a trend of increasing uselessness of categorizing Trek incarnations and comparing them in general, one has to be a bit more specific and pick out the particular aspects of several shows one wants to compare.
Nothing wrong with stereotypes and generalizations, they are a good starting point but once you dig a bit deeper they become useless.

Last edited by horatio : 06-08-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Not that you are wrong, TOS, DS9 and ST09 have indeed a lot in common ... but last time I checked ST09 was a TOS prequel as well as a Unification/NEM sequel and DS9 used the TNG universe.
"Don't cross the streams!!!!"

Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Vice Admiral

Hi all! "The Menagerie - Extended Edition" is now posted on YouTube. Clicky

Edit: Oopsies! Forgot I already made a thread on that one.