The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Games/Toys > Games/Toys > STO loses 90% of it's users
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default STO loses 90% of it's users

I knew this was coming! The game sucks.

http://hailingfrequency.com/boards/i...p?topic=2130.0
Old 04-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Commander

I have a question for you. Can you buy the game and not subscribe, but still play?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I have a question for you. Can you buy the game and not subscribe, but still play?
Once you buy it, you can play it for 30 days and they put a $1.00 charge on your card (did it to me at least). You can cancel after that and you will no longer be able to play.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Commander

The 'Klingon' commercial at the beginning of TOS-S3 BluRay made it look really lame.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

CBS is still taking the same attitude toward trek...Milk it till dead...quality matters not and as long (yes, yet again) Fans as a whole don't rise up and demand better it's not going to happen by chance because CBS is skimping as much as they can.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Commander

I miss the days of Interplay and Spectrum Holobyte. I still play the old "Star Trek 25th Anniversary" and "Judgment Rites" on occasion. Activision produced some decent stuff too. I only with I could play "A final Unity" once more. Sadly time hasn't been kind to the disc. The SNES version of the game was halfway decent, though I never did beat it.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 04-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
I miss the days of Interplay and Spectrum Holobyte. I still play the old "Star Trek 25th Anniversary" and "Judgment Rites" on occasion. Activision produced some decent stuff too. I only with I could play "A final Unity" once more. Sadly time hasn't been kind to the disc. The SNES version of the game was halfway decent, though I never did beat it.
I'm with ya on that! I've owned/played all of those you mentioned at some point and STO just doesn't come close (given a few months, they might get closer).

Last edited by jla1987 : 04-17-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Commander

I was able to find an emulator for 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites a while ago. I just wish they had the content for the enhanced CD-Rom version of 25th Anniversary available. The last mission on that was much better than the original version.

What kind of got me about A Final Unity and the SNES version (Future's Past) was the difference in the alien race called the Chodak. The ships were the same but the appearance of the actual aliens was completely different. Of course A Final Unity was much better than Future's Past. The story was well written and many of the plot twists were reminiscent of some of the TNG episodes. What was kind of fun about the game was how the opening to the game played out exactly like a TNG episode. I really miss that game and I would definitely pay money if they were to try to make it available on today's computers and operating systems.

-Robert D. Ballard
Old 04-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
I was able to find an emulator for 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites a while ago. I just wish they had the content for the enhanced CD-Rom version of 25th Anniversary available. The last mission on that was much better than the original version.

What kind of got me about A Final Unity and the SNES version (Future's Past) was the difference in the alien race called the Chodak. The ships were the same but the appearance of the actual aliens was completely different. Of course A Final Unity was much better than Future's Past. The story was well written and many of the plot twists were reminiscent of some of the TNG episodes. What was kind of fun about the game was how the opening to the game played out exactly like a TNG episode. I really miss that game and I would definitely pay money if they were to try to make it available on today's computers and operating systems.
I never got A Final Unity to work correctly. I had it about 10 years ago and my Windows 98 machine (which had to run in DOS for the game) couldn't handle the sound. So, I never got to hear the sound, but the game itself was quite awesome for it's time. I wonder if it would run in DOSbox?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I never got A Final Unity to work correctly. I had it about 10 years ago and my Windows 98 machine (which had to run in DOS for the game) couldn't handle the sound. So, I never got to hear the sound, but the game itself was quite awesome for it's time. I wonder if it would run in DOSbox?
Yeah, I had problems with a Final Unity too. It had a tendency to crash on my machine. I've heard that it could work on DOSbox, but I've never tried since I can't find my disc and even if I could it's no longer in good enough condition to function. In fact of all of my game CDs from the time, I found that for some reason a Final Unity had a tendency to scratch easily no matter how careful I was. I actually had to go out a get a new disc at one point.

The great thing about those old games was that they combined starship battles with away missions throughout the game. Of course the starship battles in games from those days are rather rudimentary compared to what we have today, but it still made for a much more satisfying experience.

-Robert D. Ballard