The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > TOS "Scotty" Testifys to Where the "E" Was Built
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Commander

Default TOS "Scotty" Testifys to Where the "E" Was Built

Check out the dialogue at about 5:12. He says where the "E" was built in TOS! I remember seeing this when it first came out in anticipation of a Star Trek Movie in the 70's. I don't think V'ger had become a part of the movie at the time. This interview was pre-Star Wars also!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32wG...eature=related
Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Vice Admiral

Dangit! I've got to wait until I get home to see it. I can't listen to the audio at work. Give me a hint??

I'm assuming that he says it was built in spacedock or built on Earth and assembled in spacedock? It's interesting to note that the image JJA supposedly used as inspiration for building the Monsterprise on the ground was originally a joke. It was a parodic image that was submitted to the now defunct website "You Can't Do That On Star Trek". It was never meant to be taken seriously. The reason that particular picture was sent to that site was because it was the opposite of what we know from Star Trek. Starships are built/assembled in orbiting spacedocks. Therefore, building the ship on the ground is something "you can't do" on Star Trek. Just a neato little tidbit of info there.

Kind of like this one:
reliant_navy.jpg
That can be found here: Clicky

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 03-01-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Commander

Thank you "Scotty" I always thought it being built on the ground was ridiculous, no mistaking the man's words...up in space at the San Francisco Navy Yards

-Free Enterprise
Old 03-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's a no brainer.
There is no way anyone would choose to build something that is meant to be in space on Earth....it's just wrong.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Federation Councillor

First - great interview find!!

Now - Doohan kinda seems to contradict himself in the same sentence, he says '... I built the ship up in space...em... at the San Francisco Navy yards and then they shot it up into space...' at around the 5.20 mark.

Technically I think that sounds like there is still manouvering room!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

The built in space or on the ground question aside, isn't it fascinating what kind of details Jimmy Doohan knows? He sounds very much like one of us, a Trekker who has read too many tech manuals.
Seriously, I find it great that Doohan has obviously been so into Trek resp. his role as chief engineer during the "dead years". May he rest in peace.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
It's a no brainer.
There is no way anyone would choose to build something that is meant to be in space on Earth....it's just wrong.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Dangit! I've got to wait until I get home to see it. I can't listen to the audio at work. Give me a hint??

I'm assuming that he says it was built in spacedock or built on Earth and assembled in spacedock? It's interesting to note that the image JJA supposedly used as inspiration for building the Monsterprise on the ground was originally a joke. It was a parodic image that was submitted to the now defunct website "You Can't Do That On Star Trek". It was never meant to be taken seriously. The reason that particular picture was sent to that site was because it was the opposite of what we know from Star Trek. Starships are built/assembled in orbiting spacedocks. Therefore, building the ship on the ground is something "you can't do" on Star Trek. Just a neato little tidbit of info there.

Kind of like this one:
Attachment 1953
That can be found here: Clicky
Sorry Zim, I guess by now, from the other replies, you have figured it out.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
First - great interview find!!

Now - Doohan kinda seems to contradict himself in the same sentence, he says '... I built the ship up in space...em... at the San Francisco Navy yards and then they shot it up into space...' at around the 5.20 mark.

Technically I think that sounds like there is still manouvering room!!
IDK...he could have meant launched her into deep space "Service" after assembling her in the spacedock. I think that they all were a bit thrown off by Snyder's unfamiliarity with things "Star Trek". The "ship" that was hanging behind them had some "scaling" and labeling errors that even the NBC design staff got wrong.
If GR had shown up on the program, maybe their would have been answers to many other opinions we now have.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
IDK...he could have meant launched her into deep space "Service" after assembling her in the spacedock. I think that they all were a bit thrown off by Snyder's unfamiliarity with things "Star Trek". The "ship" that was hanging behind them had some "scaling" and labeling errors that even the NBC design staff got wrong.
If GR had shown up on the program, maybe their would have been answers to many other opinions we now have.
Like I said - wiggle room!!

It could be taken more than one way!

courtesy of Saquist