The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > TOS "Scotty" Testifys to Where the "E" Was Built
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Futureguy Futureguy is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,153
Default TOS "Scotty" Testifys to Where the "E" Was Built

Check out the dialogue at about 5:12. He says where the "E" was built in TOS! I remember seeing this when it first came out in anticipation of a Star Trek Movie in the 70's. I don't think V'ger had become a part of the movie at the time. This interview was pre-Star Wars also!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32wG...eature=related
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 AM
I-Am-Zim I-Am-Zim is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA, Earth
Posts: 3,432
Default

Dangit! I've got to wait until I get home to see it. I can't listen to the audio at work. Give me a hint??

I'm assuming that he says it was built in spacedock or built on Earth and assembled in spacedock? It's interesting to note that the image JJA supposedly used as inspiration for building the Monsterprise on the ground was originally a joke. It was a parodic image that was submitted to the now defunct website "You Can't Do That On Star Trek". It was never meant to be taken seriously. The reason that particular picture was sent to that site was because it was the opposite of what we know from Star Trek. Starships are built/assembled in orbiting spacedocks. Therefore, building the ship on the ground is something "you can't do" on Star Trek. Just a neato little tidbit of info there.

Kind of like this one:
reliant_navy.jpg
That can be found here: Clicky

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 03-01-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 AM
radoskal's Avatar
radoskal radoskal is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 952
Default

Thank you "Scotty" I always thought it being built on the ground was ridiculous, no mistaking the man's words...up in space at the San Francisco Navy Yards
__________________
Mom, how many times do I have to tell you, Track is what athletes run on. Trek is what the Enterprise goes on.

-Free Enterprise
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

It's a no brainer.
There is no way anyone would choose to build something that is meant to be in space on Earth....it's just wrong.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

First - great interview find!!

Now - Doohan kinda seems to contradict himself in the same sentence, he says '... I built the ship up in space...em... at the San Francisco Navy yards and then they shot it up into space...' at around the 5.20 mark.

Technically I think that sounds like there is still manouvering room!!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

The built in space or on the ground question aside, isn't it fascinating what kind of details Jimmy Doohan knows? He sounds very much like one of us, a Trekker who has read too many tech manuals.
Seriously, I find it great that Doohan has obviously been so into Trek resp. his role as chief engineer during the "dead years". May he rest in peace.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2010, 08:56 AM
I-Am-Zim I-Am-Zim is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA, Earth
Posts: 3,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
It's a no brainer.
There is no way anyone would choose to build something that is meant to be in space on Earth....it's just wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Futureguy Futureguy is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Dangit! I've got to wait until I get home to see it. I can't listen to the audio at work. Give me a hint??

I'm assuming that he says it was built in spacedock or built on Earth and assembled in spacedock? It's interesting to note that the image JJA supposedly used as inspiration for building the Monsterprise on the ground was originally a joke. It was a parodic image that was submitted to the now defunct website "You Can't Do That On Star Trek". It was never meant to be taken seriously. The reason that particular picture was sent to that site was because it was the opposite of what we know from Star Trek. Starships are built/assembled in orbiting spacedocks. Therefore, building the ship on the ground is something "you can't do" on Star Trek. Just a neato little tidbit of info there.

Kind of like this one:
Attachment 1953
That can be found here: Clicky
Sorry Zim, I guess by now, from the other replies, you have figured it out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Futureguy Futureguy is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
First - great interview find!!

Now - Doohan kinda seems to contradict himself in the same sentence, he says '... I built the ship up in space...em... at the San Francisco Navy yards and then they shot it up into space...' at around the 5.20 mark.

Technically I think that sounds like there is still manouvering room!!
IDK...he could have meant launched her into deep space "Service" after assembling her in the spacedock. I think that they all were a bit thrown off by Snyder's unfamiliarity with things "Star Trek". The "ship" that was hanging behind them had some "scaling" and labeling errors that even the NBC design staff got wrong.
If GR had shown up on the program, maybe their would have been answers to many other opinions we now have.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
IDK...he could have meant launched her into deep space "Service" after assembling her in the spacedock. I think that they all were a bit thrown off by Snyder's unfamiliarity with things "Star Trek". The "ship" that was hanging behind them had some "scaling" and labeling errors that even the NBC design staff got wrong.
If GR had shown up on the program, maybe their would have been answers to many other opinions we now have.
Like I said - wiggle room!!

It could be taken more than one way!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.