The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Q in the sequel???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

I wonder if this trilogy will be founded on the remake theme...
same old house new coat of paint...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I wonder if this trilogy will be founded on the remake theme...
same old house new coat of paint...
A house can be restored to its original luster without completely tearing it down and starting from scratch. Yes, you may want to add a room or replace the old carpet; but the framework remains. I am completely o.k. with bringing in familiar aspects of what has come before. This is the framework of ST. My only hope is that it won't be the same aspects i.e. Khan, Klingons (not right away, or at least not in any major way right yet), and now the Romulans have been done in the last two movies.

I would love to see other familiar framework aspects i.e. Q, the Gorn, etc. get some big screen time, while on the same token, bring in something new that is exciting and grows the ST universe. This is why I think Q would be the being to get the job done...He did it before(Borg anyone?), I think he can do it again.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Commander

I can think of nothing less interesting, dramatically speaking, than allowing an omnipotent character to cross over from the TV series into movieland. I think fans have been saying "hey, do you suppose Q could be in the next film?" ever since ST Generations, and it baffles me that no one else has made this observation (to my humble knowledge).

Although in retrospect, the TNG films probably might as well have had Q in them... what with the amount of deus es machina they seemed to have regardless.

Q only works as a foil for Picard. As such, he is very much a product of TNG, and I doubt Team Abrams would want him. But even if they did, I would assume they'd know better. Trelane would make more sense, but I think even including him would be a serious mistake. Save him for when ST returns to TV in 5-10 (or better yet fifteen) years.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Lieutenant

The "playful, nigh-omnipotent being" concept hasn't been utilized in a Trek movie yet. The closest we had was the god-wannabe-thing from Final Frontier. So involving Q, or some other Q-like being, could be an interesting way to go.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Commander

But there's a reason why the Trek movies haven't done it yet. An omnipotent person is simply not 'movie' material. He can never be truly formidable as an opponent, nor vulnernable as an ally. In fact, I'll even go so far as to say it is impossible, impossible, to have the kind of tangible drama that movies are made of with an omnipotent character. It would be almost as problematic as making Q a regular member of the Enterprise on some future ST series.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Federation Councillor

I can see where you're coming from - an superpowerful beings on TOS did cause their own problems when it came to convenient resolutions of problems the scripts had developed - but then on the other hand it would be quite a TOS style plot to employ!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Commander

Why bring on Q? TOS had its share of omnipotent beings, Trelaine, for example, was the original Q.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/st/tng/q.shtml

Last edited by chator : 03-03-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

TOS was full of powerful, non-corporeal beings, the Organians or the Greek "gods" come to mind. I consider these kind of "alien aliens" as more interesting as the mainly humanoid aliens of the TNG area.
It depends on their script, but if they head into more of a mystery than a typical villain endangers Earth direction, unusual aliens are more appropriate than the conventional territorial enemies of the Federation like the Klingons or Romulans.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG_Trekman View Post
This is why JJ should not listen to fans' opinions on story development
That's right (well, other than Orci's.)
Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
TOS was full of powerful, non-corporeal beings, the Organians or the Greek "gods" come to mind. I consider these kind of "alien aliens" as more interesting as the mainly humanoid aliens of the TNG area.
It depends on their script, but if they head into more of a mystery than a typical villain endangers Earth direction, unusual aliens are more appropriate than the conventional territorial enemies of the Federation like the Klingons or Romulans.
I hadn't thought about the Organians. That would be in line with TOS. Perhaps they could show up in response to what happened in the first movie. I would love to see what the writers could come up with as it pertains to an omnipotent power; whether it be Q, the Organians, or another all-powerful being. As someone else on this thread has stated, all-powerful beings were very much a staple in TOS.

I know this is all conjecture, and we'll probably end up with Khan or Klingons, because those type of protagonists lead to big explosions(and the studio loooooves big explosions). It would be nice to see the writing staff come up with a very engaging Star Trek story that didn't involve the "repeat offenders".....again (think ST IV).