The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Q in the sequel???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Of all the "superbeing" characters, Q, Apollo, Trelane... Q is by far the best and most interesting. After a timetraveling multiple universe film, I'd rather one that is a little more grounded into their universe now. Something more straightforward.

I'd really like it to have something to do with the aftermath following the destruction of Vulcan and the upheavel that would create among the survivors. Lot of things to do with that, we've discussed that on this board a few times.
If and only if there was a "Q" in the next movie, depending on the actor and dialog/writing, the entity"s character and curiosity could be established sufficiently for the entire audience within a couple of scenes and matured some over the movie.......perhaps!
I made a comment in a much earlier thread about "Q" being able to cross time realities as well as time. If he could be used to "tempt" the crew of the "E", by way of his character to taunt mankind, into a "challenge" that would offer them the possibility to change some particular incident, not in the past, but correcting it in the present. Establishing Kirk's father: "Q" essentially offering to save him at the last minute from the destruction of the Kelvin by "removing" him from that place and "abandoning" him somewhere for say 25-30 years until "discovered" in the present. Spock could be offered the "opportunity" to save his mother Amanda in much the same way. This way the "past" itself is not altered, just the present situations. But the big kicker would be, "at what cost?", and to whom. "Q" of course would have his own agenda. Would a sacrifice of another life in their places be worth it? Another world sacrificed instead of Vulcan? (These ideas could be modified to meet the requirements of the story, but the moral implications could be great.) The implications could be established/revealed after the "grateful" acceptance by Kirk and Spock of their "gifts". "Q's" nature being revealed and the challenge he represents. Maybe even establishing for those who would understand his later "interest" for the Enterprise in the TNG-verse.

Just some thoughts...I digress to those who know better!
Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
If and only if there was a "Q" in the next movie, depending on the actor and dialog/writing, the entity"s character and curiosity could be established sufficiently for the entire audience within a couple of scenes and matured some over the movie.......perhaps!
I made a comment in a much earlier thread about "Q" being able to cross time realities as well as time. If he could be used to "tempt" the crew of the "E", by way of his character to taunt mankind, into a "challenge" that would offer them the possibility to change some particular incident, not in the past, but correcting it in the present. Establishing Kirk's father: "Q" essentially offering to save him at the last minute from the destruction of the Kelvin by "removing" him from that place and "abandoning" him somewhere for say 25-30 years until "discovered" in the present. Spock could be offered the "opportunity" to save his mother Amanda in much the same way. This way the "past" itself is not altered, just the present situations. But the big kicker would be, "at what cost?", and to whom. "Q" of course would have his own agenda. Would a sacrifice of another life in their places be worth it? Another world sacrificed instead of Vulcan? (These ideas could be modified to meet the requirements of the story, but the moral implications could be great.) The implications could be established/revealed after the "grateful" acceptance by Kirk and Spock of their "gifts". "Q's" nature being revealed and the challenge he represents. Maybe even establishing for those who would understand his later "interest" for the Enterprise in the TNG-verse.

Just some thoughts...I digress to those who know better!
That is a very good idea. Perhaps Q could give Spock a chance to save Vulcan from being destroyed, and thus save his mother; but in the end makes the decision to let the planet be destroyed because of a series of events that happen at the beginning of the movie. I don't remember the name of the episode, but in a Voyager Q mentions that Kirk knew how to have a good time. Could this mean that Q had dealings with the original crew?
Old 02-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smothwe3009 View Post
That is a very good idea.

I don't remember the name of the episode, but in a Voyager Q mentions that Kirk knew how to have a good time. Could this mean that Q had dealings with the original crew?
Would have been interesting to see the interactions of "Q" with TOS!

(POSSIBILITY) TOS Kirk knows that some elements of history in TOS universe that have been changed by "Q's" influence. Maybe even Kirk's tendency to "cheat" on history have already been established because he was actually setting "correct" things that were previously changed. His being labeled "cheating history" was only a result of his interaction with "Q"?

Kirk's KM "creative thinking" test results were a challenge to "Q's" own meddling?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smothwe3009 View Post
Hey, just wondering what everybody thought about having Q in the sequel. Now I know John D. is getting pretty old for a being that doesn't age, so it would have to be another actor...perhaps his son? This could be a way the writers could create a brand new story, while linking it back to the prime universe.
I would love to see Q in the sequel. I think TNG's movies would have been better, if Q (DeLancie's Q, but Bill Murray would be good in that role, too. I'd rather see him in the Captain's chair, though) had been featured in at least one of them. It'd be fun to see how Q would influence the orginal crew.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Lieutenant

This is why JJ should not listen to fans' opinions on story development
Old 02-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Commander

Yeah, why don't we just have Q stop the Enterprise, erect a field grid around it, then appear on the Enterprise bridge in a flash of light and say, "You're all under arrest!" Kirk will say, "For what?!" Spock will quote Starfleet regulations about entities appear on the bridge without invitation. Then Q transports everyone to a trial-court and puts the Enterprise crew on trial for the crimes of the human race! NOT!

As good an actor as John DeLancie is, i think Q was definately overused. I'm glad he was never brought onboard ENTERPRISE! Let's not bring him onto NuTrek, either.

Last edited by chator : 02-28-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG_Trekman View Post
This is why JJ should not listen to fans' opinions on story development
Yea...I thought we were just shooting some creative thinking around for our own fun!
When I have something for JJ, it will be something that will knock his socks off!

Last edited by Futureguy : 02-28-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Lieutenant

It would be fun to see Q show up on the scene, violating the contiuum's order by medling in mortal affairs to prevent an intergalactic cold war. Just think of what stake he could have in a scenario that before being destroyed, Nero gave Romulus a leg up and somehow deployed a capsule with encrypted information for technological advancement and a sample of the first movie's red matter.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Yea...I thought we were just shooting some creative thinking around for our own fun!
Yeah, we're just having a little fun with some ideas. J.J. and co. will do what they want no matter what is said on this message board, so let's have some creative fun!!