The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Suicide, Why Does It Happen?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Which would allow people that need help to be further neglected.
Instead of getting assistance to lead a happy life it's encouragement not to be happy.
It's Con-active.

Literally the most selfish option available.
Society has to do little and adopts even less responsibility.
It's a path to anti-society.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The common Hebrew term translated “sin” is chat‧ta’th′; in Greek the usual word is ha‧mar‧ti′a. In both languages the verb forms (Heb., cha‧ta’′; Gr., ha‧mar‧ta′no) mean “miss,” in the sense of missing or not reaching a goal, way, mark, or right point. At Judges 20:16 cha‧ta’′ is used, with a negative, to describe the Benjamites who were ‘slingers of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss.’ Greek writers often used ha‧mar‧ta′no with regard to a spearman missing his target. Both of these words were used to mean missing or failing to reach not merely physical objects or goals.

Thus,
If God purposed you to live in peace with your fellow man and you murder him then you've missed the target.

If God purposed you the live and you kill yourself, then you've missed the target or "sinned"

Note: There is an occasion of suicide in the Bible: Samson which God allowed- When he brought the stone house down upon the philistines and himself dying in the process. The power to do so was requested and given.

Although his death had a specific purpose. Like Jesus Christ who's death could be considered a suicide made no effort to escape and apparently knew what would happened and waited for it.

Sin happens way to often to be concerned with whether suicide is a sin.
There are far more serious and debilitating sins than taking your own life (in my opinion) At least they are at peace and whatever war they were waging in life is over.

For most of my teenage years I had a death wish.
Even today I occasionally think about the silence and the calm it would bring. It's an awful world we live in and sometimes nothing we do brings peace.
Thanks for that informed and well reasoned post! In my teen years i was suicidal for a short time. One of the things that prevented me from going through with it was the fear that i would go to Hell!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Not everyone has that fear, and for some the intangibility of such concepts has little relation to the immediate circumstances that make then want to end their lives in that moment.

They're not thinking about what happens after.

Which is why it's often interesting that people who have survived suicide attempts often come to the realisation that their issues can be conquered and then are able to move past that, because they get another go.

Sadly, some also don't and keep trying until they succeed.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Which would allow people that need help to be further neglected.
Instead of getting assistance to lead a happy life it's encouragement not to be happy.
It's Con-active.

Literally the most selfish option available.
Society has to do little and adopts even less responsibility.
It's a path to anti-society.
Where have I said that we should not to everything to help suicidal people? All I said is that ultimately it is their right to end their life or not, not yours or mine or the one of anyone else.
Furthermore there are many people who live in pain because of their medical circumstances and they would prefer to die. If we have done everything that we can to reduce their suffering and if they still wanna die, they have the right to die.
Life, liberty and pursuit of happiness ... obviously this implies the liberty to end one's life if this makes one happier.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Federation Councillor

It happens becuase, through disease, defect, or circumstance, someone feels it is the ONLY way to end their pain.

Through disease, to either spare themselves, or others the ravages of disease, or to end their own endless suffering with no hope of recovery.

Defect, either organic, or emotional that causes one to feel such crushing pain, that only death can realease them.

Circumstance, a situation, like the battlefeild for example, I have sen people loose multiple limbs and know them medics would not come. They chose to take their own lives rather than suffer for long long mins, or hours until they bled out.

It's not a beautiful, glorious death, but sometimes it's the only death avalible.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Rear Admiral

AND-

I've just read that Marie Osmond's teenaged son has committed suicide!!!

??????

It is just so, so very sad. Some one called suicide "A permanent solution to a temporary problem." Trite, I know. And not true 100% of the time, but except for euthanasia, an apt description of the act. So sad, so sad.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'

Last edited by That Metal Beastie : 02-28-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Thanks for that informed and well reasoned post! In my teen years i was suicidal for a short time. One of the things that prevented me from going through with it was the fear that i would go to Hell!
Young men have a lot of expectations on their shoulders.
Strong but loving male figures help us to cope with those expectations. As often is the case males fall short of this for their sons. Mothers are the balance. Without moms we become distressed or too hard hearted toward our own family's years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Where have I said that we should not to everything to help suicidal people? All I said is that ultimately it is their right to end their life or not, not yours or mine or the one of anyone else.
Furthermore there are many people who live in pain because of their medical circumstances and they would prefer to die. If we have done everything that we can to reduce their suffering and if they still wanna die, they have the right to die.
Life, liberty and pursuit of happiness ... obviously this implies the liberty to end one's life if this makes one happier.
I gotcha but I'm not talking about suicide because of pain of body I speak of mental pain and the anguish that comes from depression such as Konig's son.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
One honest reason why I didn't do it back then was (really!) that I wanted to know if and how Voyager gets home.
[If I had known how Endgame ends and that they simply use future technology... perhaps I'd still have survived because I simply wouldn't have believed it]

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 02-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Lieutenant Commander

"They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice... that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--