The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Why Can You NOT Leave This Board?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Noah's Ark is a story that most Christians accept is metaphorical... just like Adam and Eve. Many early civilisations have flood stories.
So what, God stills commits a genocide and it is not the only instance of an angry God in the bible.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Commander

Quote:
I said you were anti Christian. You think I'm suffering from a delusion. Looks like we are equal.
Getting even, how Christian of you. Do you understand my trust issue now? I've already told you I don't think you are delusional. I've also explained how a belief can be considered a delusion with out the person being delusional but you can't seem to grasp that concept. I don't think children that believe in Santa Clause are delusional but the belief is a delusion.

Quote:
Noah's Ark is a story that most Christians accept is metaphorical... just like Adam and Eve. Many early civilisations have flood stories.
horatio has already answered this for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
So what, God stills commits a genocide and it is not the only instance of an angry God in the bible.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Admiral

God gives life, God can take it away! His perogative!

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 02-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Seems to be a great job this god thingy, a life without any responsibilities.
On a serious note, you easily evade any questioning of God like this because he can do whatever the hell he likes. That's a bit too cheap for my taste and I hold a (fictional) omnipotent being to at least the same moral standards as a human being.

Anyway, like many works of literature or art in general, the bible contains violence. Like it or not, violence is part of being human and that's why it is reflected in our art, just like f**king and cursing.

Last edited by horatio : 02-25-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
Getting even, how Christian of you. Do you understand my trust issue now? I've already told you I don't think you are delusional. I've also explained how a belief can be considered a delusion with out the person being delusional but you can't seem to grasp that concept. I don't think children that believe in Santa Clause are delusional but the belief is a delusion.
Santa Claus is a lie, not a delusion. Children are lied to because it is tradition and it's fun. If I suffer from psychosis, I am psychotic. If I believe in a delusion, I am delusional. Your argument makes no sense which is why I have trouble "grasping the concept." It's pure semantics.

I don't understand how that makes me untrustworthy. But it' is entirely your choice if you choose not to trust me because i disagree with you.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Seems to be a great job this god thingy, a life without any responsibilities. :P

Anyway, like many works of literature or art in general, the bible contains violence. Like it or not, that's part of being human. If the early **** sapiens hadn't outsmarted the Neanderthalans (and perhaps smashed their skulls) we wouldn't be here now.
I quite agree but the Bible is not being broadcast on public television in cartoon form in a way that encourages young people to think that calling someone a Jew as a term of offense is acceptable. Now I'm not saying that is what the writers intended but sadly, it's what has happened.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I feel like less of a geek coming here, than other Trek boards. I don't know why.
I always felt like that in the General ST discussions and the Off topic discussions but I always felt like way too much of a geek in the STXI part of the forum.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I quite agree but the Bible is not being broadcast on public television in cartoon form in a way that encourages young people to think that calling someone a Jew as a term of offense is acceptable. Now I'm not saying that is what the writers intended but sadly, it's what has happened.
Matt Stone is a Jew, he doesn't produce an antisemitic show and if some dumba*ses who watch it don't get what a jerk the antisemitic Cartman is, they are probably even worse jerks.
But of course this is so decadent and so hedonistic while a God commiting a genocide is perfectly OK because it is written in a so called holy book and because God is beyond human ethics and thus may not be questioned.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Commander

Quote:
If I suffer from psychosis, I am psychotic. If I believe in a delusion, I am delusional. Your argument makes no sense which is why I have trouble "grasping the concept." It's pure semantics.
Ok. Using that logic then your claim that I am anti-Christian means I am the Antichrist.

Quote:
Matt Stone is a Jew, he doesn't produce an antisemitic show and if some dumba*ses who watch it don't get what a jerk the antisemitic Cartman is, they are probably even worse jerks.
But of course this is so decadent and so hedonistic while a God commiting a genocide is perfectly OK because it is written in a so called holy book and because God is beyond human ethics and thus may not be questioned.
I agree it seems a little hypacritcal to me.