The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Why Can You NOT Leave This Board?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Noah's Ark is a story that most Christians accept is metaphorical... just like Adam and Eve. Many early civilisations have flood stories.
So what, God stills commits a genocide and it is not the only instance of an angry God in the bible.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Enterprise Captain's Avatar
Enterprise Captain Enterprise Captain is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I said you were anti Christian. You think I'm suffering from a delusion. Looks like we are equal.
Getting even, how Christian of you. Do you understand my trust issue now? I've already told you I don't think you are delusional. I've also explained how a belief can be considered a delusion with out the person being delusional but you can't seem to grasp that concept. I don't think children that believe in Santa Clause are delusional but the belief is a delusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Noah's Ark is a story that most Christians accept is metaphorical... just like Adam and Eve. Many early civilisations have flood stories.
horatio has already answered this for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
So what, God stills commits a genocide and it is not the only instance of an angry God in the bible.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-25-2010, 09:52 AM
janeway72's Avatar
janeway72 janeway72 is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Federation Starship Voyager
Posts: 4,977
Default

God gives life, God can take it away! His perogative!
__________________

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-25-2010, 09:57 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Seems to be a great job this god thingy, a life without any responsibilities.
On a serious note, you easily evade any questioning of God like this because he can do whatever the hell he likes. That's a bit too cheap for my taste and I hold a (fictional) omnipotent being to at least the same moral standards as a human being.

Anyway, like many works of literature or art in general, the bible contains violence. Like it or not, violence is part of being human and that's why it is reflected in our art, just like f**king and cursing.

Last edited by horatio : 02-25-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-25-2010, 09:58 AM
janeway72's Avatar
janeway72 janeway72 is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Federation Starship Voyager
Posts: 4,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
Getting even, how Christian of you. Do you understand my trust issue now? I've already told you I don't think you are delusional. I've also explained how a belief can be considered a delusion with out the person being delusional but you can't seem to grasp that concept. I don't think children that believe in Santa Clause are delusional but the belief is a delusion.
Santa Claus is a lie, not a delusion. Children are lied to because it is tradition and it's fun. If I suffer from psychosis, I am psychotic. If I believe in a delusion, I am delusional. Your argument makes no sense which is why I have trouble "grasping the concept." It's pure semantics.

I don't understand how that makes me untrustworthy. But it' is entirely your choice if you choose not to trust me because i disagree with you.
__________________

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 AM
janeway72's Avatar
janeway72 janeway72 is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Federation Starship Voyager
Posts: 4,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Seems to be a great job this god thingy, a life without any responsibilities. :P

Anyway, like many works of literature or art in general, the bible contains violence. Like it or not, that's part of being human. If the early **** sapiens hadn't outsmarted the Neanderthalans (and perhaps smashed their skulls) we wouldn't be here now.
I quite agree but the Bible is not being broadcast on public television in cartoon form in a way that encourages young people to think that calling someone a Jew as a term of offense is acceptable. Now I'm not saying that is what the writers intended but sadly, it's what has happened.
__________________

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-25-2010, 10:05 AM
janeway72's Avatar
janeway72 janeway72 is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Federation Starship Voyager
Posts: 4,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I feel like less of a geek coming here, than other Trek boards. I don't know why.
I always felt like that in the General ST discussions and the Off topic discussions but I always felt like way too much of a geek in the STXI part of the forum.
__________________

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I quite agree but the Bible is not being broadcast on public television in cartoon form in a way that encourages young people to think that calling someone a Jew as a term of offense is acceptable. Now I'm not saying that is what the writers intended but sadly, it's what has happened.
Matt Stone is a Jew, he doesn't produce an antisemitic show and if some dumba*ses who watch it don't get what a jerk the antisemitic Cartman is, they are probably even worse jerks.
But of course this is so decadent and so hedonistic while a God commiting a genocide is perfectly OK because it is written in a so called holy book and because God is beyond human ethics and thus may not be questioned.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Enterprise Captain's Avatar
Enterprise Captain Enterprise Captain is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
If I suffer from psychosis, I am psychotic. If I believe in a delusion, I am delusional. Your argument makes no sense which is why I have trouble "grasping the concept." It's pure semantics.
Ok. Using that logic then your claim that I am anti-Christian means I am the Antichrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Matt Stone is a Jew, he doesn't produce an antisemitic show and if some dumba*ses who watch it don't get what a jerk the antisemitic Cartman is, they are probably even worse jerks.
But of course this is so decadent and so hedonistic while a God commiting a genocide is perfectly OK because it is written in a so called holy book and because God is beyond human ethics and thus may not be questioned.
I agree it seems a little hypacritcal to me.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.