The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > When did a movie you wanted to see go South for you?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Sunshine... and it was at the point that they introduced the captain from the previous ship. Once again, we were all jerked into the old "God doesn't want us to succeed" trope... which didn't work when George Pal did it in "Conquest of Space" clear back in '55...

Mary Shelly's Frankenstien... when they got to the point where they started ripping off Roger Corman's "Frankenstien Unbound."

King Kong... (Jackson Remake) when they got onto the island, and Kong doesn't fight just ONE Tyrannosaur, oh no, he has to fight a whole herd of the damn things... while hanging from a bunch of vines! (so much for suspension of disbelief) The movie tried hard to pull itself back from that pit it had been dug into, but it never quite made it.

PHantom Menace... about the time they introduced the trade alliance. (God that movie sucked!)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

I agree whole heartedly with the Phantom Menace....Truely a let down after the awesome Trilogy...

Who new it it would be the best of the last 3.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I agree whole heartedly with the Phantom Menace....Truely a let down after the awesome Trilogy...

LOL! Well, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there. For me, Episode III is not only the best of the prequel trilogy, it's also (just barely eding out Empire Strikes Back) my favorite of the SW movies.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

You thought Phantom Menace was the best of the the prequels?

Revenge of the Sith captured the spirit of the originals for me and was easily the best of the three. I also think it's better than ESB, but below ANH and RoTJ. Phantom Menace is so-so for me, whereas Attack of the Clones is a movie I just can't bring myself to watch anymore.

Last edited by jla1987 : 02-23-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

Anakin was still a brat.
Palpatine was transparent.
The jedi were still oblivious
GL managed to skew up the one continuity necessary for the future film...
Killing the mother of Luke and Leia

I see no way how I could call that movie better than ESB

Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Anakin was still a brat.
Palpatine was transparent.
The jedi were still oblivious
GL managed to skew up the one continuity necessary for the future film...
Killing the mother of Luke and Leia

I see no way how I could call that movie better than ESB
Huh? Where was it said that she was alive? Leia said she had visions of her, but nothing more.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Huh? Where was it said that she was alive? Leia said she had visions of her, but nothing more.

Princess Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
Luke: What do you remember?
Princess Leia: Just... images really. Feelings.
Luke: Tell me.
Princess Leia: She was... very beautiful. Kind, but sad. Why are you asking me this?
Luke: I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

People on the Star Wars end assume that Leia could perceive her mother at infancy through the force.

The problem is the conversation makes no mention of force perception.
What is does say which qualifies Leia statement is Luke saying..."I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her." Luke is asking someone that he would expect to have known her and Leia does not contradict him. So she knew her mother but she was very very, young, she recognized kindness and sadness and beauty which an infant would not and could not relate to immediately after birth. The statement qualifies that Padme had enough time with her child to make a concerted impression upon Leia.

Most people recall images and feelings of this type as early as 3 or 4 years old on average and would be considered very young by any standard. But I really consider 4 and 5 to be that age of true awareness of this type.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Princess Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
Luke: What do you remember?
Princess Leia: Just... images really. Feelings.
Luke: Tell me.
Princess Leia: She was... very beautiful. Kind, but sad. Why are you asking me this?
Luke: I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

People on the Star Wars end assume that Leia could perceive her mother at infancy through the force.
In order to reconcile things, I guess you'd have to do that. TBH, Padme's death didn't bother me.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Sunshine... and it was at the point that they introduced the captain from the previous ship. Once again, we were all jerked into the old "God doesn't want us to succeed" trope... which didn't work when George Pal did it in "Conquest of Space" clear back in '55...
It was a shame when that film veered into a different kind of film towards the end. Then the slasher in space began and.....

I still like watching it for the early parts mind.

Quote:
King Kong... (Jackson Remake) when they got onto the island, and Kong doesn't fight just ONE Tyrannosaur, oh no, he has to fight a whole herd of the damn things... while hanging from a bunch of vines! (so much for suspension of disbelief) The movie tried hard to pull itself back from that pit it had been dug into, but it never quite made it.
For me (though again, I like the movie as a whole) it was the spider-pit sequence.

I'm sorry, but there's really no way those humans would have came out there alive with that many huge bugs just getting ready to eat them!!

If they had just taken that whole sequence out, I can live with Kong's bust-ups.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
In order to reconcile things, I guess you'd have to do that. TBH, Padme's death didn't bother me.
I chose to believe her death was faked.