The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How many decks on the new Enterprise?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Commander

The TOS Enterprise had 23 decks I think. The new Enterprise is given to be 725 according to NCCs post in an earlier thread (didn't read it all so no idea if a revised value was accepted)....

Anyways, assuming a linearly proportional relationship between number of decks and overall length that would give the new enterprise 57 decks.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Federation Councillor

It depends what one might call a deck, the layout and huge spaces in the secondary hull might substantially reduce that potential number.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
And even if it's a refit (other things have been changed after INS as well), there are still only 24 decks on the bridge's MSMD
Yeah, I've read that guy Bernd essay on all the differences between appearances.

On one level he takes it all far too seriously, but on the other it's useful for pointing out they just change things all the time to suit without ever explaining them.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Anyways, I don't think the exact number of decks has been established yet. But since the Enterprise E gained at least five decks between FC and Nemesis in the movies I wouldn't entirely take any figure for granted!
I always just pretend that they meant to say Deck 9, instead of Deck 29. That would explain the long fall the viceroy takes down the Jefferies tube, and it would keep the max number of decks at 24. Still, even I feel that this is a stupid blunder , and I even liked Star Trek V, too!

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Federation Councillor

Well, that's the thing - because since the Viceroy falls it would mean deck 29 wasn't even the bottom deck, but that there could be several more!

It's just the same reason most blunders get made - the writers don't double check the little things that fans always pick up on. There's technically an argument to not get too caught up in that kind of stuff anyway but when it does happen it gets seized on and then never forgotten.

The easy answer is do what TOS did and never get too explicit about details you don't really need in the first place!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Anyways, I don't think the exact number of decks has been established yet. But since the Enterprise E gained at least five decks between FC and Nemesis in the movies I wouldn't entirely take any figure for granted!
Actually, it gained 2 decks just in FC. Picard tells Lily it has 24 and later a crewman tells Worf that "the Borg control decks 26 up to 11". Go figure.

But if Archer is going by window placement alone, it would seem that the Abramsprise has about as many decks as the TMP refit. Which would be around 22 or 23? Can't remember exactly. But we know that the Abramsprise is 7,852,659,568,548 miles long. So who knows how many decks the ginormous behemoth has
Old 02-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Commander

Quote:
Well, that's the thing - because since the Viceroy falls it would mean deck 29 wasn't even the bottom deck, but that there could be several more!

It's just the same reason most blunders get made - the writers don't double check the little things that fans always pick up on. There's technically an argument to not get too caught up in that kind of stuff anyway but when it does happen it gets seized on and then never forgotten.

The easy answer is do what TOS did and never get too explicit about details you don't really need in the first place!
The lack of "detail" in TOS was due to budget, but there weren't as many problems with what was where. Deck "five" looked like deck "6", but without "labels" it was just fine for TV.
I've always though that TOS was similar to Greek plays in that there were fewer details (props) to fret over. (Very minimalist) The actors and story were what the audience was there for. If your going to include props, it is better to get them right in the first place. I think that there were a few TOS episodes that could be done on a stage with minimal props. I just can't remember the episode names!

"Star Trek" The Play done seriously...

Python did it with "The Holy Grail" as "Spamalot" Strictly humor with that treatment though.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Captain

Is there a Lido Deck on the Enterprise?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
The lack of "detail" in TOS was due to budget, but there weren't as many problems with what was where. Deck "five" looked like deck "6", but without "labels" it was just fine for TV.
I've always though that TOS was similar to Greek plays in that there were fewer details (props) to fret over. (Very minimalist) The actors and story were what the audience was there for. If your going to include props, it is better to get them right in the first place. I think that there were a few TOS episodes that could be done on a stage with minimal props. I just can't remember the episode names!

"Star Trek" The Play done seriously...

Python did it with "The Holy Grail" as "Spamalot" Strictly humor with that treatment though.
Indeed, when I referred to details I was meaning that it wasn't needed to have for example the little speech Picard has in FC about the dimensions and number of decks the ship has. Budgetary issues are quite separate from that and have their place discussing several aspects of the show.

(Maybe you're thinking of 'The Empath' at least? Very stage-like setting even in the aired episode and easly transferrable)

Anyway, although those lines would have been great for many it was not relevant to the story and in TOS not knowing from the start how many decks the ship had never killed anyone!

Unlike the later series and films - which became sometimes more interested in details like that over story content IMO

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Actually, it gained 2 decks just in FC. Picard tells Lily it has 24 and later a crewman tells Worf that "the Borg control decks 26 up to 11". Go figure.

But if Archer is going by window placement alone, it would seem that the Abramsprise has about as many decks as the TMP refit. Which would be around 22 or 23? Can't remember exactly. But we know that the Abramsprise is 7,852,659,568,548 miles long. So who knows how many decks the ginormous behemoth has
You're probably right about FC - go figure indeed!

But hey, the more decks the better - when you do as much running around the ship as they do, you want plenty of space to cover!

courtesy of Saquist