The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Star Trek VI: The Trio Loosens?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Rear Admiral

Question Star Trek VI: The Trio Loosens?

I don't really get a sense of friendship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy in this film as I did with the previous movie. As much as I dislike the fifth film, the best part was the togetherness of the trio on the Enterprise-A. I mean, I know there were some glib remarks on the bridge when the crew first entered the bridge in VI...

"The lieutenant graduated at the top of her class at the Academy."
"You must be very proud."
"I don't believe so, sir."
"She's a Vulcan alright!"

- Spock, Kirk, Valeris and Doctor McCoy

and then of course there is:

"Doctor, would you care to assist me in performing surgery on a torpedo?"
"Fascinating!"

- Spock and Doctor McCoy
...with those, plus probably a few more such as:

"Why, that cunning little Vulcan."

- Doctor McCoy

...but there just wasn't really a sense of the classic TOS trio. But for what it was worth, the film was well done! I just wish there could have been a little more interaction between the three.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 03-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Well, I think the fact that Kirk and Spock start off really at odds with each other means the film is going to lack that camaraderie. Heck, Kirk is positively livid at Spock.

And, face it, they are a trio, not two duos that occassionally intersect. When we get Spock and McCoy together minus Kirk, the biting comments tend to get out of control (think The Trouble With Tribbles) and Spock and Kirk, minus McCoy tends to dissolve into "okay, you lead the way Captain, I'll follow along and jump infront of any danger for you".

Once the two of them were fighting, the movie had a problem....they sort of start to get it together at the end, but it's really beyond the point where we can get any good "trio" scenes.

I'm not one who hates V. It's funny and fun and we get loads of great character interaction.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Rear Admiral

True, the tention at Starfleet Command in the beginning of the film really set things for the negative. I love it when Kirk would attempt to be the moderator and shake his head to stop them both from bickering, lol! Would have been nice to see that one last time in this film. However, you made a good point about the negativity between Kirk and Spock.

Fans Expendable
Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Admiral

it does seem like the trio is a bit more loose in Trek IV but alot of it I think is that Spock is reborn, he's getting to know Bones and Kirk all over again. Both try to help Spock, both try to help him regain himself throughout the movie. It may not be 'til six until he's fully back. I haven't seen V in quite awhile, I should watch it again, to tell you the truth I don't remember how the three interacted in that one as well.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
it does seem like the trio is a bit more loose in Trek IV but alot of it I think is that Spock is reborn, he's getting to know Bones and Kirk all over again. Both try to help Spock, both try to help him regain himself throughout the movie. It may not be 'til six until he's fully back. I haven't seen V in quite awhile, I should watch it again, to tell you the truth I don't remember how the three interacted in that one as well.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oL1srsEWDYM

Fans Expendable
Old 03-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Yeah, I remember the campfire scene, my point was it never seemed the same between the three characters after Spock died and was reborn, I think the trio transformed into something else, I don't think they were more distant, it was just a different dynamic.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Admiral

I agree...I think the dynamic shifted...I think Spock and McCoy had more shared experiences (sharing a brain) and Kirk seemed a bit left out.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Lieutenant

The fact they totally disagreed and remained friends shows the closeness they all held
Old 03-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

I always saw it that Spock had "vouched" for Kirk meant that he really didn't relate with McCoy any better than before.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Admiral

I liked the change in the trio, like Eliza said with Bones and Spock sharing their minds, it is a different dynamic. That trio of TOS will never be back. It is changed, but that's what Trek is about, it's about growth. I liked that story line of Spock's. It's what drove Trek's 3,4 and 5, especially 3 and 4, mostly 4 though I guess cause that's the one where the three are trying to reconnect, both Bones and Kirk want to reach out to Spock and get him back. The 3rd one was called The Search for Spock, maybe the real search for him was getting some semblance of that trio back and I think by Trek 6, they have it, it's not the same as it was in TOS but the old Spock is back, he's different, he's grown, but that's what Trek is about and it's also what good writing's about in my opinion. Besides Spock put best himself, "I've been dead once, I found it very liberating!"