The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Is Star Trek XI now part of ST Canon?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Vice Admiral

what that I like NuTrek no harm in liking it

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Ensign

Yes, officially it's canon. But canon is a myth. It came much later and was applied after the fact for TOS. As the Trek 'verse expanded and became more and more complex it became necessary to impose some order on the chaos. Results have been inconsistent.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I'll probably get chucked off the board for rabble rousing with this thread but we often talk of the Canonites, who generally dislike the new movie. But if ST XI was made by the people who own the rights to the Star Trek franchise, does that not now make it canonical?
ST09 is canon whereas novels, comics, games, etc. are "unoffical" and thus have a smaller impact upon the fictional history of Trek. One might add this is not the case with semi-offical productions like TAS which has influenced quite some Trek incarnations.

Yet ST09 creates in a certain way its own continuity or to express it differently, it partly overwrites the fictional history of the Prime Universe.

This has not been unseen as TNG a) virtually created its own cosmos and b) used/changed old elements like the Klingons as well, but over the course of the series, it has been closer tied to TOS (think about Relics or Unification). To stay with the Klingons, there have even been in-universe explanations for the makeup as well as behaviour changes in the race, an attempt to weave the different realms of Trek together.

So the main difference between NuTrek is that it a) overwrites fictional history and b) does not use this "retro-weaving" but uses the respective old ingredients from the very beginning on.

All this has nothing to do with preferences. But someone who likes tight continuity might very well dislike Trek like ENT or ST09 that messes to a certain degree with continuity.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
All this has nothing to do with preferences. But someone who likes tight continuity might very well dislike Trek like ENT or ST09 that messes to a certain degree with continuity.
Someone who is tight with continuity probably wouldn't like old Trek either, as it could be rather loose at times.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Unfortunately, STXI is canon. However, it is not part of the original canon. It is totally disconnected from the Star Trek that we all know and love. The alternate reality plot device has ensured that it creates its own canon compltetly separate from the original and should not be confused with the original. To me, it's a totally new franchise since it shares so little in common with its forbear.
It's not completely separate. Spock is there and he has a huge connection to the original Trekverse.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
It's not completely separate. Spock is there and he has a huge connection to the original Trekverse.
True. But is he "our" Spock or a Spock from another, similar alternate universe? That question has been raised on this board as well. I tend to favor the latter. But that's just my way of reconciling the differences that don't make sense or fit as they should with the TOS universe prior to Nero's arrival. As always, your mileage may vary.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Ensign

He is mirror Spock sans facial hair! It was a plot to destroy the TOS universe as we know it!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon ACE View Post
He is mirror Spock sans facial hair! It was a plot to destroy the TOS universe as we know it!
And it worked quite nicely.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Ensign

Quote:
And it worked quite nicely.
See: it's all a matter of perspective!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
True. But is he "our" Spock or a Spock from another, similar alternate universe? That question has been raised on this board as well. I tend to favor the latter. But that's just my way of reconciling the differences that don't make sense or fit as they should with the TOS universe prior to Nero's arrival. As always, your mileage may vary.
My mileage definitely varies...