The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > A bone for the Canonites...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
The problem with a reboot of plain reboot of TOS is that if you take away the fact we can't travel very fast yet and just look at the computers/ tech of the time, we have already surpassed most of what they saw as being futuristic. We have touch screen technology, voice recognition etc. So to make the Enterprise look futuristic it had to go many steps further than many of us were particularly happy with. Even TNG and Voyager nowadays look very dated.
Exactly - look at things like Spock's and the TOS data cards (i.e floppy discs). In todays tech they have long been consigned to the dustbin and having them in the new film in any way would be an anachronism.

They had to try and make it look like somthing that's futuristic from today's perspective, not the 1965 perspective and yet also make certain elements (tricorders, phasers) resemble their predecessors enough to be recognised for what they are.

As a contemporary take on a command centre the new Bridge works just fine, using the basic layout of the traditional bridge to build from.

And as we all know it's a common problem of trying to predict what things will look like in the future anyway. Real world tech moves far faster than set designers and production designers can depict, especially the farther ahead you want to set your TV show/film.

Some get it a bit closer than others but at some point it all gets overtaken by the real world.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I think it would have worked just fine. If they had a good story that is. And a good villain. As for the "brick for brick" part, I have never said I wanted that. A 100% faithful replication of the sets and ships from TOS would have looked silly on the big screen in a 21st century movie. What I have always maintained is that the Enterprise would have looked fantastic on the big screen if it were given more detail and realistic features. Such as those rendered by Deg3d and Vektor. The TOS bridge could easily have been updated with more modern materials, controls, and displays and looked just fine on the big screen. There was no need, in my opinion, for such a radical and sweeping redesign of the entire TOS universe as we knew it. There was also no need to resort to the time travel crutch. A straight origin story would have worked just fine. They could easily have remained true to the established continuity of the existing Star Trek universe without resorting to all the rediculous contrivances in the new movie. Unfortunately, I'm not a writer, nor am I creative enough to come up with a good enough story, or I'd write one. But there are writers in Hollywood who could have. I was very disapointed with the story direction. But that's just me. Anyway, I do believe a straight origin story would have worked just fine with the right writers/director at the helm.
Zim, for the first time, I think I can actually see what you are talking about. And scarier still, I really like it.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Vice Admiral

Do you really agree with I-Am-Zim?

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I think it would have worked just fine. If they had a good story that is. And a good villain. As for the "brick for brick" part, I have never said I wanted that. A 100% faithful replication of the sets and ships from TOS would have looked silly on the big screen in a 21st century movie. What I have always maintained is that the Enterprise would have looked fantastic on the big screen if it were given more detail and realistic features. Such as those rendered by Deg3d and Vektor. The TOS bridge could easily have been updated with more modern materials, controls, and displays and looked just fine on the big screen. There was no need, in my opinion, for such a radical and sweeping redesign of the entire TOS universe as we knew it. There was also no need to resort to the time travel crutch. A straight origin story would have worked just fine. They could easily have remained true to the established continuity of the existing Star Trek universe without resorting to all the rediculous contrivances in the new movie. Unfortunately, I'm not a writer, nor am I creative enough to come up with a good enough story, or I'd write one. But there are writers in Hollywood who could have. I was very disapointed with the story direction. But that's just me. Anyway, I do believe a straight origin story would have worked just fine with the right writers/director at the helm.
I could not have said it better, Zim!! This is how I feel, although I probably would have been much more forgiving of all the BS had I been given a version Trek that was more like Trek of past. Yes, I am speaking of the details that make me feel "at home".
Old 02-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
Zim, for the first time, I think I can actually see what you are talking about. And scarier still, I really like it.
Wow. Thanks. Really, that means a lot coming from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
Ya know, stranger things have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I could not have said it better, Zim!! This is how I feel, although I probably would have been much more forgiving of all the BS had I been given a version Trek that was more like Trek of past. Yes, I am speaking of the details that make me feel "at home".
There ya go. That's all I'm sayin. It could have been done. Paramount just decided to take the easy way out. IMO, of course.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Federation Councillor

I don't think there was anything 'easy' about relaunching a franchise and investing in it to the level they did when they had absolutely no guarantee that it would work in the way it was supposed to.

The entire project was a relative high gamble, and as with all gambles - there are winners and losers.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Vice Admiral

I don't care if your opinions differ I can live with that I have calmed down haven't I?

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
I neither agree nor disagree. Rather, I have decided to objectively observe that there were two ways this film could have gone: The way that it did, and the way that I previously mentioned. Zim prefers something much more familiar, without an alternate timeline. I suppose I would have loved whatever the hell they had given me, unless it was a DS9 movie.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Vice Admiral

Well I think it is good they are going down a different path would you have liked if it the reboot wasn't made just wondering.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

If they had made a real prequel that is set in the Prime timeline, it would be rather boring, because everyone knows that the bridge crew will survive all following movies simply because they are still there in TUC.
The writers' approach with a new timeline which is completely unpredictable makes STXI better than the SW prequels or ENT, where we already knew the end before we even saw the beginning. We knew the Xindi wouldn't destroy Earth - but now Vulcan has been destroyed, so everything can change! The future is new again and can be explored because it's really the new undiscovered country. Once more unto the breach, dear friends.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-