The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek gets snubbed by the Oscars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Up! was a much better movie than STXI, in my opinion.

As much as I looooved Star Trek (XI)--and you all know I do--"UP" was, storytelling-wise, pretty hard to beat. That's the magic of PIXAR. So many animated (and live-action, for that matter) films think the audience will say, "Golly gee! It's in 3-D!" or "Wowzers! Look at that animation!" John Lassieter of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation understands that a story that connects on multiple levels is what makes the difference.

Star Trek XI: Yes, great film. Deserved every great review it recieved, but "UP" deserved its nomination.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
Of course. And it actually was a good movie, a good popcorn movie, very entertaining.

But if the Academy doesn't want to embarass itself a best picture award musn't go to a merely entertaining movies, it has to offer something more, some artistic elements.

Actually as good as Avatar is, Avatar doesn't deserve the nomination, too.

(Say, this is actually a great thread!)

Avatar would not deserve its nomination if it weren't for this: It's historic film-making. It is the "Jazz Singer" to "Birth of a Nation". The technologies introduced in "Avatar" will change the way motion-pictures are made. Yes, it's that important. While it's noteworthy to point out that the last film made by James Cameron before "Avatar" was "Titanic", that fact (and that the man is a cinematic visionary) does not quantify the film for a Best Picture nod. Its importance to the art of the medium does, and therefore, it's nomination is (in my opinion) deserved.

Again, great thread!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

This all takes me back to the time when the movie TRON was snubbed for a VFX Oscar, because the Academy felt that the VFX team was "cheating" because they were using computers.

How shortsighted of the Academy?

Computers were only a PART of the VFX process. For many of the scenes just involving the actors and sets, a lot of that was painstakingly rotoscoped and chroma-keyed to achieve those actor effects.

Now, of course, the Academy's all about CGI.

Wow...how the mighty have fallen.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Captain

Great point, Martok! Hmm, do you think that the Acadamy may be over playing the importance of the tech introduced in the film? I admit I still haven't seen it.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Up! was a much better movie than STXI, in my opinion.
I didn't see that many movies this year but i thought Angels and Demons was better, it even outdid Trek in its representation of an antimatter device.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Trek underachieved and you can tell by how many...
Trek At All Cost Fan loved it.
In there eyes Trek can do no wrong as long as the fix is satisfied.
As one who very much loved the movie, and currently ranks it 3rd place on the list of Trek films (but would never presume to nominate it for Best Picture), I have to say I've yet to meet one of these Trek At All Cost fans you seem to be talking about. I have certainly not seen any comments on these forums that would seem to in any way 'brand' their respective users as being among said fans. Granted, I skip a lot of these threads. But to my knowledge, every fan has his share of Treks that he just didn't like.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
(Say, this is actually a great thread!)

Avatar would not deserve its nomination if it weren't for this: It's historic film-making. It is the "Jazz Singer" to "Birth of a Nation". The technologies introduced in "Avatar" will change the way motion-pictures are made. Yes, it's that important. While it's noteworthy to point out that the last film made by James Cameron before "Avatar" was "Titanic", that fact (and that the man is a cinematic visionary) does not quantify the film for a Best Picture nod. Its importance to the art of the medium does, and therefore, it's nomination is (in my opinion) deserved.

Again, great thread!
Pretty much agree here - it's a lavish epic and Hollywood loves those!

Although I find the nomination for BP for 'Up' to be completely redundant. It's also nominated as Best Animated Feature which it's probably a lock to win. That means it's main BP nomination is just part of the Academy attempt to generate interest by adding populist films into the equation.

'Star Trek' would have filled the same function, but the duplication seems pointless nontheless.

Of course, I still can't fathom Inglourious Basterds haul of nominations either.................so, go figure, I guess!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
Great point, Martok! Hmm, do you think that the Acadamy may be over playing the importance of the tech introduced in the film? I admit I still haven't seen it.
The academy at the time was accustomed to seeing physical models, matte effects, and that sort of stuff...so when it was announced that computers were going to have a hand in the FX of this film, and they saw it, they must've felt that it was maximum result with minimum effort.

If you ever manage to get it, get the TRON 20th anniversary DVD...it has a LOT of cool featurettes, and goes into the process of how the film was made...and even discusses the Oscar snubbery.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Lieutenant Commander

When it comes to award events.

I take a "stuff everyone else" and make up my own awards.

And Star Trek 2009 did pretty well on the music side in my awards.

Do-d-doooo-do-do-do-dooo-dooooooo

Stuff the Oscars+any other award show.

I present the Celticarchie's Awards for Soundtrack Excellence.

*opens gold envelope*

And the award for "Most emotionally evocative track" goes to...Michael Giacchino, for Star Trek: Labor of Love.

*opens gold envelope*

And the award for "Best spirited theme" goes to...Michael Giacchino, for Star Trek: Star Trek (the opening track).

*opens gold envelope*

And the award for "Most dramatic action moment" goes to...Michael Giacchino, for Star Trek: Nailin' the Kelvin. (Note: this also won for - "Cheesiest title of a track")

*opens gold envelope*

And the award for "Most introspective hero moment" goes to...Michael Giacchino, for Star Trek: Hella Bar Talk.

It also wins the "Soundtrack I can't stop listening to" award...but that is a silly trophy made out of balloons.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q

Last edited by celticarchie : 02-04-2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
This all takes me back to the time when the movie TRON was snubbed for a VFX Oscar, because the Academy felt that the VFX team was "cheating" because they were using computers.

How shortsighted of the Academy?

Computers were only a PART of the VFX process. For many of the scenes just involving the actors and sets, a lot of that was painstakingly rotoscoped and chroma-keyed to achieve those actor effects.

Now, of course, the Academy's all about CGI.

Wow...how the mighty have fallen.
Yet the irony is Tron is still very highly regarded while nobody gives a rat's *** about the academy or their opinion. Ain't life grand.