The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > don't redo a TOS episode what are your thoughts?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidFan View Post
As to the in-jokes, personally I thought they were very subtle and well done. I didnt think they were overdone at all. They were there as nods to the fans and they were nicely done imho. I think it would have been bad not to have them at all. I appreciate that you think it was overdone, I just cant agree with you. Im a big fan of doing things like that. I know not everyone is though.
I would agree, mostly I personally did not feel they were forced or inappropriate (Archer and the Beagle aside).

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I would favour a repetition of ideas which have been present in TOS but not fully realized over a repetition of scenes. For example it was implied that Koloth and Kirk know each other for quite some time, so why not introduce a Klingon opponent for Kirk in the next movie?
New Voyages / Phase II has played with the same idea and their reappearing Klingon character works pretty well in my opinion.

yes yes yes. That is what I want to see, Klingons. either as a whole or in the body of a reappearing opponent. I think at the core of TOS the main antagonists majority of the time were klingons. Same with the movies. I think they are a huge part of TOS and really need to be included in a major way.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I would favour a repetition of ideas which have been present in TOS but not fully realized over a repetition of scenes. For example it was implied that Koloth and Kirk know each other for quite some time, so why not introduce a Klingon opponent for Kirk in the next movie?
New Voyages / Phase II has played with the same idea and their reappearing Klingon character works pretty well in my opinion.
Koloth would be good. And the more I think of it (and as I've said before) a reimagining of Space Seed could work for me.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Vice Admiral

But would the new Khan have the same backstory and will a reimagining of Space Seed work?

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Captain

...No
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
But would the new Khan have the same backstory and will a reimagining of Space Seed work?

he would have to have the same back story as it took place prior to the events that altered the time line
Old 02-18-2010, 04:47 AM
Ensign

I would say that I do not want a rehash of a TOS episode, but I would like to see more characters show up... Harry Mudd, Cyrano Jones, Ben Finny, Finningan, Gary Mitchel, etc.

what is Harry up to in this new universe? is Cyrano trying to make a buck selling Vulcan relics? How is Ben Finny doing without Kirk messing up his early career? etc.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Lieutenant

Should they do a straight-up movie adaptation of a TOS episode? No, I don't think so.

Should they incorporate people, places, and events from certain TOS episodes? Yes, by all means. I wanna see Harry Mudd in the next film. Or some of our Klingon friends, ridge-less or not.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcrawford View Post
I would say that I do not want a rehash of a TOS episode, but I would like to see more characters show up... Harry Mudd, Cyrano Jones, Ben Finny, Finningan, Gary Mitchel, etc.

what is Harry up to in this new universe? is Cyrano trying to make a buck selling Vulcan relics? How is Ben Finny doing without Kirk messing up his early career? etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
Should they do a straight-up movie adaptation of a TOS episode? No, I don't think so.

Should they incorporate people, places, and events from certain TOS episodes? Yes, by all means. I wanna see Harry Mudd in the next film. Or some of our Klingon friends, ridge-less or not.
Agreed

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Vice Admiral

How would Pine's Kirk react to Finnegan sure they could throw Finnegan in and other TOS characters. What do you think?

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy