The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > don't redo a TOS episode what are your thoughts?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 AM
Vice Admiral

Default don't redo a TOS episode what are your thoughts?

Should they redo a TOS episode for the sequel or stick with something new post your thoughts here.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 01-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

they already said they won't

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
Should they redo a TOS episode for the sequel or stick with something new post your thoughts here.
no.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:22 AM
Ensign

redo a tos episode no. Take things from TOS episode? maybe. It could work if they took important elements from a few episodes. In another thread I am talking about the need for Klingon antagonists in the next two movies. There were tons of episodes with Klingons. They could take some of the better scenes from several episodes and include them. I would love to see the scene where they are at a starbase at the same time as the Klingons and one of the klingons is talking trash to Chekov about Kirk. Scotty tells him Checov ignore them its not worth it. Them they call the Enterprise a trash transport and Scotty decides to kick some butt =)

Im sure there are some other very good scenes that could be pulled from episodes to be included in the movie that would work well and give us all a smile knowing where it came from, without it being a remake of a TOS episode.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Ensign

here is the scene I am talking about. would love it in the next movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuE4W_iELqU

I can already picture Simon Pegg doing that scene lol

Last edited by RabidFan : 02-02-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Commander

I don't want anymore rehash. If we get that, i will stop watching Trek. The whole point of the reboot was to create opportunities for new storylines that weren't possible due to canon considerations. If we get more "best hits" Trek I'm going to puke!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I don't want anymore rehash. If we get that, i will stop watching Trek. The whole point of the reboot was to create opportunities for new storylines that weren't possible due to canon considerations. If we get more "best hits" Trek I'm going to puke!
what do you mean "anymore rehash"? What has been rehashed? If you are talking about the little easter eggs for fans, those are not rehash or best hits of trek. Those are little nods to the fans for their loyalty.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
What you suggested is a direct repetition of a scene from Troubble with Tribbles.

Nothing wrong with a few in-jokes though, but for my taste they were overdone in ST09.

Yes it is taking a scene from Trouble with Tribbles. Not saying I want them to do a remake of an episode, but it could work if they took scenes from episodes and included them in the next movie in a manner that they are not exact but you can see the similarity. If they wanted to take something from the episodes at all. I think it would be a nice link between the series and the reboot that they had a similar experience, but because of the time line change, the experience is slightly different, or vastly different.

As to the in-jokes, personally I thought they were very subtle and well done. I didnt think they were overdone at all. They were there as nods to the fans and they were nicely done imho. I think it would have been bad not to have them at all. I appreciate that you think it was overdone, I just cant agree with you. Im a big fan of doing things like that. I know not everyone is though.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

I would favour a repetition of ideas which have been present in TOS but not fully realized over a repetition of scenes. For example it was implied that Koloth and Kirk know each other for quite some time, so why not introduce a Klingon opponent for Kirk in the next movie?
New Voyages / Phase II has played with the same idea and their reappearing Klingon character works pretty well in my opinion.