The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Worf And Troi
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 AM
Ensign

Default Worf And Troi

So it seemed to me at the end on the TNG regular series that Worf and Troi were going to be together and all that jazz. But then in Nemesis Troi and Riker get married. Did i just miss something or what?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Federation Councillor

Not really, the embryonic romance (which wasn't entirely convincing anyway IMO) got dumped as soon as the films kicked off and Worf transferred to DS9.

Presummably, the relationship just fizzled out.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Admiral

And Worf ended up with Jadzia Dax anyway.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Commander

Watching earlier episodes of TNG, there was nothing going on between Troi and Worf, i have no idea why they tried to create a relationship between them, there was really no president for it. Whereas Riker and Troi did have some backstory. Also, Troi and Worf make an odd couple. Troi is the sensitive empath, Worf is the crude warrior/conqueror. I would think Troi would be turned off by Worf's crude, primitive impulses and would be able to see through his banal conqueror mentality. And Worf as a Klingon i don't think wouldn't be drawn to a weak woman who wouldn't offer him any serious challenge or opposition. Look at his relationship with Kalar. So the Troi/Worf thing never made sense to me. I think it was based on a misreading of the characters.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Commander

A few of the books delve a little deeper into the Worf-Troi relationship but yeah it never convinced me, not a good pairing, appearing out of nowhere and adding nothing to either character.

Season 7 concentrated too much on family stuff and relationships anyway in my opinion. It was good in Attached with Picard and Crusher, and was good for Data and his mother, but I don't think it worked well for Geordie in Interface or Picard and his 'son' in Bloodlines.

Ultimately I think the show moved away from it's main theme by doing those kind of stories. Worf and Troi's relationship felt forced and is one of the more bizarre things they did in the season.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 AM
Commander

Sometimes opposites attract. I didn't have a problem with Worf and Troi. I think the problem was the writers started the relationship to late in the series and didn't have enough time to do anything with it which made it kind of pointless.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Rear Admiral

It was an 'opposites attract' thing or better a 'Beauty and the Beast' thing. There was some foreshadowing of the relationship, if memory serves, in the ep where Worf asked Deanna to be Alexander's guardian and maybe elsewhere. They didn't bother me the way Chakotay/7 did. To me that came totally out of the blue. I dunno, I just always wanted Harry and 7 to wind up together.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Federation Councillor

Although it was hinted at I think it was only after 'Parallels' where Worf and Troi were married in one alternate that they decided to try and take it into the actual series and see where it went.

But it was probably too late to bring in that aspect that late in the final season. It was in hindsight quite similar to the later abrupt Seven/Chakotay romance as well.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Although it was hinted at I think it was only after 'Parallels' where Worf and Troi were married in one alternate that they decided to try and take it into the actual series and see where it went.
We have a winnah!

IIRC, Mirina Sirtis and Michael Dorn had been pushing for the Worf/Troi pairing too...
Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Watching earlier episodes of TNG, there was nothing going on between Troi and Worf, i have no idea why they tried to create a relationship between them, there was really no president for it. Whereas Riker and Troi did have some backstory. Also, Troi and Worf make an odd couple. Troi is the sensitive empath, Worf is the crude warrior/conqueror. I would think Troi would be turned off by Worf's crude, primitive impulses and would be able to see through his banal conqueror mentality. And Worf as a Klingon i don't think wouldn't be drawn to a weak woman who wouldn't offer him any serious challenge or opposition. Look at his relationship with Kalar. So the Troi/Worf thing never made sense to me. I think it was based on a misreading of the characters.
Yeah, Worf/Troi never worked for me - both because it was too late in the series, and because the pairing was a bit dull and I didn't think they would be drawn to each other that way. K'Ehleyr and Worf were a great pairing, and pairing with with Jadzia on DS9 was a good idea, too. They were both strong women who were a match for Worf, who shared some of his Klingon values but were a lot more critical or irreverent about it than Worf was, had a sense of humor, and were able to challenge him. That's what made those relationships exciting. There was none of that with Troi. They worked much better as friends than as lovers.

BTW why is this posted in the "Off Topic" section?