The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Do the Vulcans and Romulans believe in God?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
The Romulans are modeled on the Romans and the Romans were pagans, that is, they believed in many gods, national gods. But the polytheism angle was never really explored by Roddenberry, it is now being explored by Ron Moore in his new series Caprica, and was explored to a more limited degree in his earlier show, Battlestar Galactica. As for the Vulcans i think of their religion as more like Buddhism, to offer any human equivalent. It is more a philosophy, a worship of logic, mind, introspection, as opposed to any crude worship of anthropomorphic beings.
Bravo chator!

Well said!

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Federation Councillor

If we want to get serious for a second - there'e never been much exploration of that side of Romulan/Vulcan beliefs.

Whether Romulans worship any Gods period has never been explored and so it's really a very open question. There's little to suggest they do.

Vulcans, while we don't have their details appear polytheistic since they worshipped God(s) at one time.

Before Surak and the awakening they appear to have worshipped Gods (which might indicate Romulans should as well, since Romulans left around the time of Surak - but again, they may have turned their backs in the intervening 1,000 years it's only a theoretical possibility) and how they have treated them since is simply less well known.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Vulcans may not believe in God or gods, but they apparently acknowledge them to some degree.

Spock's line in ST: TMP...

"Each of us, at some time in our lives, turns to someone...a father, a brother, a god, and asks 'Is this all that I am? Is there nothing more?' "

And the only flame war this would start is that I'm sick and tired of folks acting like just because someone might believe in God (or whatever higher power) that said person must be mentally deficient, or backwards.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Lieutenant

Old 02-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Is this a lame attempt to start a flame war by insinuating that those who do not believe in god are all going to 'hell'? Yawn........ thank you for reminding me that this forum is dying.
I was going to reply something along those lines. Thank you for doing for me in a much more tactful manner than I would have. This really smells of Troll...

Old 02-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Vulcans may not believe in God or gods, but they apparently acknowledge them to some degree.

Spock's line in ST: TMP...

"Each of us, at some time in our lives, turns to someone...a father, a brother, a god, and asks 'Is this all that I am? Is there nothing more?' "

And the only flame war this would start is that I'm sick and tired of folks acting like just because someone might believe in God (or whatever higher power) that said person must be mentally deficient, or backwards.
Thanks martok. Very well said. Especially since 95% of the Earth's population believes in a supreme being in one form or another. For me personally, it's hard to believe that the other 5% seems to believe that the rest of us suffer from some sort of mass delusion. So the question of the OP is quite logical. However, whether Vulcans, Romulans, or Tatoomulans believe in a deity has never really been explored to any significant degree in Star Trek. I think that the Vulcans probably believe in some form of "creator". Simply due to their logical nature. Even if you go all the way back to the "big bang", the question still remains, "what was there before?". Another question is "where did the matter that fueled the big bang come from?" Since the laws of physics state that matter can neither be created nor destroyed, it is illogical to simply assume "it had always been there". The original matter had to have been "made" somehow. How? I have no idea. Neither does anyone else. So I prefer to believe that it was created by a supreme being. You may disagree. And that's fine. But that is what I believe. Sorry for the long post. Cary on.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

I faintly remember that the Tattoomulans used the word God or Gods in Countdown, but their religion or spirituality hasn't been explored. As others have already said, it would be fitting if they had a Romanesque polytheistic religion or if they believed that there is nothing in the universe above Romulans.
In this context I'd like to point out that one role of Q was to get Picard and Co. off their high pedestal, to remind them that there are things beyond human reach or imagination (the Borg!) or in short, teach to be humble.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
In this context I'd like to point out that one role of Q was to get Picard and Co. off their high pedestal, to remind them that there are things beyond human reach or imagination (the Borg!) or in short, teach to be humble.
It didn't really take, did it?

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
Who says he died? I don't remember the movie being that conclusive, I'm maybe wrong, but didn't he just get sucked into the black hole. Considering how mad blackholes work in this Star Trek...anything could have happened!!!

I learned in science class that when you get sucked into a black hole, you keep getting stretched out (I think it's called "sphagettification" or something) and you never exactly die. You just keep getting stretched and pulled for eternity

Poor Nero!!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR585 View Post
I learned in science class that when you get sucked into a black hole, you keep getting stretched out (I think it's called "sphagettification" or something) and you never exactly die. You just keep getting stretched and pulled for eternity

Poor Nero!!!!
Are you telling me that if you were pulled into a black hole you wouldn't die? Bet you would, show off

As for Vulcans, don't they live near the Orion's Bible Belt? Sorry