The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Mortality considered (?)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
I catch your meaning. While perhaps, a little morbid, it's not tasteless. It's pragmatic, and I'm "down" with pragmatism...That's young people talk for, "I'm definitely for being pragmatic."

I guess the very best thing we can do is pray for Mr. Nimoy's continued health and longevity. Not just for the story line, of course, but because he's such a nice guy!
Amen and amen.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
My apologies if this thread is too morbid, morose or tasteless. I'm sure you'll let me know if it is.

Not at all mate, you're expressing a genuine concern.

I feel that the next movie belongs entirely to the new cast. A new universe, a new crew...a new adventure.

And what Spock-Prime does next is left to the imagination of the fans...hey, he might try to get back to his own universe. Who knows!?

As for Mr. Leonard Nimoy, he'll continue doing the stuff he loves. I think that's good.

(*Trimmed only to highlight point responding to. btw, my apologies too, because I misread the title of this thread earlier.)

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post

Not at all mate, you're expressing a genuine concern.

I feel that the next movie belongs entirely to the new cast. A new universe, a new crew...a new adventure.

And what Spock-Prime does next is left to the imagination of the fans...hey, he might try to get back to his own universe. Who knows!?

As for Mr. Leonard Nimoy, he'll continue doing the stuff he loves. I think that's good.

(*Trimmed only to highlight point responding to. btw, my apologies too, because I misread the title of this thread earlier.)
And again the thing is, with a Vulcan as one of the lead characters the loss of that planet and the situation of the survivors has to be addressed. Which to me poses several questions- How much involvement of Spock Prime/Nimoy should there be? If they're not involved, will they be conspicuous in their absence?(I think so) And if Nimoy/Spock is involved, how much of a risk would that be for the film makers?(A fair amount, all things considered, IMO)

And Archie, apologies not necessary but accepted just the same, my friend.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
I catch your meaning. While perhaps, a little morbid, it's not tasteless. It's pragmatic, and I'm "down" with pragmatism...That's young people talk for, "I'm definitely for being pragmatic."

I guess the very best thing we can do is pray for Mr. Nimoy's continued health and longevity. Not just for the story line, of course, but because he's such a nice guy!
Never undersetimate a pragmatic approach!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
And again the thing is, with a Vulcan as one of the lead characters the loss of that planet and the situation of the survivors has to be addressed. Which to me poses several questions- How much involvement of Spock Prime/Nimoy should there be? If they're not involved, will they be conspicuous in their absence?(I think so) And if Nimoy/Spock is involved, how much of a risk would that be for the film makers?(A fair amount, all things considered, IMO)

And Archie, apologies not necessary but accepted just the same, my friend.
I seriously doubt the film makers will pay it (the situation of the Vulcan survivors) any attention other than maybe an off-hand line.

It's plot thread that, because of the various changed things this movie, has come about. Therefore, the next movies should address it, but how is that workable with a summer action blockbuster.

Either they are going to be very clever with it...or gloss it over.

Either way it's interesting. I felt the same "conspicuous in their absence" thing in Nemesis about Spock and Sela.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Admiral

I guess because he is nearly 79 there is a greater chance of something happening to Leonard Nimoy. But there are plenty of older actors holding down jobs and being signed up for movies. They would not take that much into consideration, I would think. If someone was to die mid filming, they would find a way round it in the same way they did when Heath Ledger died and they had no idea that that was going to happen. One of the main characters could get hit by a bus. They can't worry about whether someone might or might not die.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Federation Councillor

If the Vulcan story isn't to be a main point of the next film, then it may rear it's head in the third.

Inbetween, some dialgue can continue to update us without being a key part of the story. At this point, probably some early decisions about the sequel and story will likely have been made so we'll find out their plans in due course.

In fairness, with ALIAS Orci, Kurtzmann and Abrams were involved in a series that was heavily based on it's own continuity, as is Damon Lindelof with LOST. I'd be a little surprised if it went totally unreferenced, but then again......it could!

courtesy of Saquist