The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Mortality considered (?)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 04:51 AM
Rear Admiral

Default Mortality considered (?)

There's been some talk of Vulcan resettlement being a significant element of the next film, which I think is a great idea. It certainly can't be ignored. Or rather, it should not be. And naturally that would mean more Spock Prime-Mr. Leonard Nimoy, and I'd love that. But a concern for me, and I think for JJ & Co., is Mr. Nimoy's age. (Trying to be gentle here) it is probable in the extreme that he has more years behind him than ahead and he is of that age where, as much as his passing would hurt and shock us, ultimately it would not be a surprise.

Man! I hope I'm not showing too great of a lack of taste here and may regret starting this. But do you think it would be too much of a gamble to make Spock Prime a significant part of the next movie, all things considered? As you know they rolled the dice with the last one in hoping to get Mr. Nimoy's participation but that paid off in a big way.

My apologies if this thread is too morbid, morose or tasteless. I'm sure you'll let me know if it is.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 AM
Fleet Admiral

If Mr.Nimoy would like to Spock play once again and if they can write him fluently into the story like in ST09, why not? The latter part is probably the bigger problem, it might be confusing to have two Spocks in one movie and I kinda doubt that they'll really focus on the Vulcans.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:11 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
If Mr.Nimoy would like to Spock play once again and if they can write him fluently into the story like in ST09, why not? The latter part is probably the bigger problem, it might be confusing to have two Spocks in one movie and I kinda doubt that they'll really focus on the Vulcans.
Yeah, me too. But they blasted a hole in the Trek universe when they destroyed Vulcan. It can't be ignored.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Vulcan is a member world of the Federation and a they are a space faring race before joining/forming the Federation (assuming of course, we can take such ideas from previous Star Trek mythos).

And yet they don't have colony worlds with populations equaling (or surpassing) that of their home world?

Yeah right?!

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
Vulcan is a member world of the Federation and a they are a space faring race before joining/forming the Federation (assuming of course, we can take such ideas from previous Star Trek mythos).

And yet they don't have colony worlds with populations equaling (or surpassing) that of their home world?

Yeah right?!
I don't see why being space-faring and Federation members should imply they should have as many (or more) of their kind off-planet as on.

In any case it's for the writer's to decide. And it will be interesting to see how it's handled and if Spock Prime will be shown to be a part of it.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-29-2010, 06:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

Yeah right?!
The 22nd century Vulcans in ENT liked to stay close at home and did not explore deep space. Even if they became a bit more curious in the 23rd century, they definitely don't have the human desire to explore everything. Hand in hand with deep space exploration goes deep space colonization.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

I know exactly what you mean, I had the same thought.
They could use him for a cameo only, something that can be taken out in case he's not available anymore...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Because it's so logical to have all your eggs in one basket.

I understand now.

Nah, I just found it a "huh!?" moment...and another contributing factor that led to me not being able to engage... (shucks, that is really an unintentional pun there - honest!) ...with the movie.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Because it's so logical to have all your eggs in one basket.
So you're saying logic should've dictated the Vulcans have as many off-world settlements as possible just in case someone decided to blowup their planet!?! I guess that would've been thinking ahead but...come on. Really?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I know exactly what you mean, I had the same thought.
They could use him for a cameo only, something that can be taken out in case he's not available anymore...
Yeah. If I were the director or producer I'd be concerned. THAT would be wise thinking ahead.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
So you're saying logic should've dictated the Vulcans have as many off-world settlements as possible just in case someone decided to blowup their planet!?! I guess that would've been thinking ahead but...come on. Really?!?
Planetary disasters come in all shapes and sizes.

Just ask the dinosaurs.

That