The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What is your favourite things that was in NuTrek and post your honest thoughts here.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Part Two.

Winona Ryder as Spock's mother Amanda. Great choice of a guest actress...why didn't they use her more?! This feels like a spill-over effect from Nemesis, which also had a great under-used guest cast. It also "weirded me out" that Kirk's mother shares Ryder's first name, I don't know what prompted that decision...it just gave me a weird feeling.

I liked what Spock said here about the prejudice of the Vulcan people towards his Human heritage.

Bruce Greenwood to play Captain Pike was an inspired chioce...again, a shame he didn't have more to play than a token Obi-Wan moment and a reprise of Robau's bravery moment.

I've been a fan of Karl Urban since he's Xena & Hercules days...so no surprises I liked him as McCoy...but then he disappears for ages during the film.

To be continued in Part Three...

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q

Last edited by celticarchie : 01-29-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Put Vulcan instead of human...gee, you'd think I'd be able to tell them apart by now.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Part Three.

Completely different take on Chekov...but I loved it!

All the humour between Kirk, McCoy & Uhura. The whole movie should have been like this!!! I'll add here that the uniforms are almost perfect, insignia could have been lower, but thats okay.

Okay, remember the Cave Troll fight in Fellowship of the Ring. Well, I loved that scene, hand-held, all-over-place action...when I asked my friends about it, they said they didn't like it because the camera action made them feel ill. That was my reaction to this fight scene. I would have liked it a lot more, but I had to look away a number of times because I started feeling like McCoy on the shuttle -- So this is an almost like.

Spock & Uhura love stuff. I thought it was sweet and unique. I'm glad they didn't do Kirk/Uhura. Because in both the series and this film their relationship had more of a brother and sister feel...okay, Danger Will Robinson!!!

To be concluded...

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q

Last edited by celticarchie : 01-29-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Part Four.

This shot is not posted because I liked it. It's because this point is where I rapidly stopped enjoying the film, where Spock throws Kirk of the ship. From then on...me not happy.

I liked this shot. Homage to Star Wars maybe? The movement of Spock in what is essentially and alien, completely unknown craft, and yet he knows exactly which buttons to press...reminded me of the Classic Series, I guess.

"I've got your gun!" Was the most Kirk-like moment of Kirk...Chris Pine played him perfectly throughout, but the writers hadn't really gotten his character.

Oh, and last but not least! THE SOUNDTREK (hehe!) ROCKS!!! I can't stop listening to it. Yeah, it's overblown and repetative in places...but that's only due to being arranged to fit the action of the film...if the film had been edited/direct differently, the music would have been arranged to fit a different tone.

That
Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Federation Councillor

Except for the post Kirk off the ship stuff - Seems an agreeable list.

Especially on things like the shuttles being bashed - really liked those little details.

If it helps, Ryder did get nominated for Best Cameo at some awards thing somewhere, so someone else noticed her!

courtesy of Saquist