The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > No More Moon Program
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Admiral

I also agree with that Jer. Though there is going to have to be some financial reward in it. Maybe if we found gold on Mars it would be different.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The same guy that won the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Commander

Yeah it sucks but the moon isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Besides, in times like these, science and exploration tends to suffer though there are some exceptions. It's difficult in general to get funding for science and exploration unless you can argue that there is some kind of pay off for doing so, and even then it can still be difficult.

When the economy crumbles it just gets even worse. I'm a scientist in terms of my education, but right now there's no future in being one so I'm having to enlist in the reserves just to get some income. Not that I have a problem with doing so. In fact I've spent the past two years trying to get into the officer corps which is what I've always wanted to do, but things are really tight now. Lot's of people are trying to get in and less people are leaving. So for more practical reasons I'm having to just put what I wanted to do aside and take a path that's still related but not quite what I had wanted, plus I'll at least have my foot jammed in the door. I've thought about grad school, but there's the question of paying for it plus I'm not really sure what I want to study.

I have other classmates that have worked in the industry before going back to school to get their degrees. Now they can't even get work, or if they do it's only on and off as the company gets something (which sometimes takes several months), at least one of these individuals has a family with 2 kids, one of whom is now off to college but fortunately his spouse still has a steady job.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 01-27-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Commander

I think the global economy and global warming, as well as green energy are more important and pressing issues, the moon will have to wait. It's not going anywhere.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I think the global economy and global warming, as well as green energy are more important and pressing issues, the moon will have to wait. It's not going anywhere.
Though it might grow some mold here and there.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 01-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Besides, governments aren't going to get us into space. Corporations and private investors will.
As long as the government was footing the major bill for space exploration, why would corporations spend their own money on space related environmental research. If there is money to be made, maybe it is times like this that they bring a piece innovation into the game as several companies have already done or attempted.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Vice Admiral

Ha!! I like it Cuz Bush Created this, and Your Beloved Obama Is Axeing it.
:P How Do You guys like this??

Old 01-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Commander

Honestly, I think space travel is something that needs to leave the hands of the government and become something more suited to corporations. (Virgin Galactic, anyone?)

I just think that in order for us to end up going to the moon in a rocket as we would to another city in an airplane, we need to take the industry into other hands.

As for Obama's reasoning. NASA's budget is $18.7 billion. How much of that is devoted to "space exploration" is a matter of debate (approximately $5-$7 billion)

While the importance of exploring the galaxy is obvious, how can we allow it when there is so much suffering here? Think about it, we could spend billions to send another rocket to the moon... or we could take that money and spend it on something more useful (However, knowing how these things normally work out I'm betting it'll go to something like the war on terror or the war on drugs. Not really beneficial to anyone either way.)
Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Why should private companies wanna go up there unless to offer millionaires a nice view upon Earth? Let's face it, there is little to discover up there which has any benefits, that's why private people ain't gonna do it and that's why the public shouldn't waste resources on it.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Why should private companies wanna go up there unless to offer millionaires a nice view upon Earth? Let's face it, there is little to discover up there which has any benefits, that's why private people ain't gonna do it and that's why the public shouldn't waste resources on it.
I dunno, Horatio, I think you answered the question within the question. There's money to be made in space. If I could afford to, I'd go.

Your post reminds me of a conversation I had with some frtiends back in the early eighties. I mentioned to them that wanted to buy a computer. They were all incredulous, asking "What are you going to do with it?!?"

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'