The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How Big Is The iBridge Deck On The Abramsprise??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 AM
Rear Admiral

Zim, you're right about the freefalling. I've always thought it improbable that Chekov could save them in such a fashion even if the transporter room was on the same deck(which I still don't think is supposed to be the case). I probably would've been better written if Chekov could've operated the transporter by remote control from his bridge station. You'd think that would be possible on a twenty-third century space-faring wessel.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-26-2010, 05:31 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Zim, you're right about the freefalling. I've always thought it improbable that Chekov could save them in such a fashion even if the transporter room was on the same deck(which I still don't think is supposed to be the case). I probably would've been better written if Chekov could've operated the transporter by remote control from his bridge station. You'd think that would be possible on a twenty-third century space-faring wessel.
That is a good point. And I do agree. We saw in TOS on several occasions that certain controls could be "routed" to certain bridge stations. Seems like it could have been done here too.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
That is a good point. And I do agree. We saw in TOS on several occasions that certain controls could be "routed" to certain bridge stations. Seems like it could have been done here too.
Yeah, if not at Chekov's station then somewhere on the bridge.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:

You're right. I need to stop trying to put so much thought into this mindless drivel of a movie and just enjoy it for what it was meant to be: Brainless fun.
I couldn't enjoy it...I was too busy going: "Arrrgh! The lensflare got me in the eyes!!! Arrgh!!! I'm blind!!!

What's happening? -- Red matter!

Oh, I really should have got a larger box of popcorn...this is gonna be a long movie.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-26-2010, 05:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
I couldn't enjoy it...I was too busy going: "Arrrgh! The lensflare got me in the eyes!!! Arrgh!!! I'm blind!!!

What's happening? -- Red matter!

Oh, I really should have got a larger box of popcorn...this is gonna be a long movie.
You crack me up man!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Commander

Quote:
Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time last night to do a detailed analysis of the scenes that I have mentioned. However, I must concede that there are cuts and edits in those scenes that may...I repeat, MAY indicate that the crew involved could possibly (however improbably, given the urgency of the ssituation and the extremely fast pace of those scenes) have taken a turbolift. I seriously doubt it, however. I stand by my initial analysis. I am off work Friday. So I should have more time to do a more detailed examination. I will continue to stand by my initial assumption, based on what I saw in the movie, that the iBridge, transporter room, firmentation tank room, and medical area are on the same deck.
To move between two decks on a Starship, one has to take either a Turbolift or access tubes.

I'd say the Turbolift would be the faster option, and often the default one.

I should also point out that when Kirk and Scotty beam aboard from Delta Vega, where does the Camera go on the shot of the Enterprise at warp? Straight to the Secondary Hull.

This establishes Engineering to be there.

Also, during the boarding sequence (to the cue Enterprising Young Men), we see Kirk and Bones in Engineering (where Kirk feels like he's leaking), and we see Spock enter the Turbolift in Engineering, the doors close, then a couple of moments later, he emerges on the Bridge.

This tells me the Turbolifts are fast and smooth, that the Turbolift is necessary (indicating different decks), and that they are fast enough for Chekov to use to quickly move from the Bridge to the undetermined location of the Transporter Room.

It should also be noted that that scene occurs right after their arrival on board, which suggests that they had recently exited the shuttle bay.

Since the shot immediately preceding this establishes the location of the Shuttlebay, that indicates that Engineering is likely close, again suggesting the Secondary Hull.

Last edited by OneBuckFilms : 01-26-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I will continue to stand by my initial assumption, based on what I saw in the movie, that the iBridge, transporter room, firmentation tank room, and medical area are on the same deck.
Your determination and tenacity to find objections is most admirable but also officially hitting the utterly ludicrous at this point. However, knock yourself out!

I must assume then that from now on in watching Star Trek retrospectively anything not involving a clear and explicit transition between decks leads us to the conclusion everything takes place on the same deck as well?

Should likely lead to some interesting internal layout revisions for all the Enterprises we've seen up to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
To move between two decks on a Starship, one has to take either a Turbolift or access tubes.

I should also point out that when Kirk and Scotty beam aboard from Delta Vega, where does the Camera go on the shot of the Enterprise at warp? Straight to the Secondary Hull.

Also, during the boarding sequence (to the cue Enterprising Young Men), we see Kirk and Bones in Engineering (where Kirk feels like he's leaking), and we see Spock enter the Turbolift in Engineering, the doors close, then a couple of moments later, he emerges on the Bridge.

This tells me the Turbolifts are fast and smooth, that the Turbolift is necessary (indicating different decks), and that they are fast enough for Chekov to use to quickly move from the Bridge to the undetermined location of the Transporter Room.

It should also be noted that that scene occurs right after their arrival on board, which suggests that they had recently exited the shuttle bay.

Since the shot immediately preceding this establishes the location of the Shuttlebay, that indicates that Engineering is likely close, again suggesting the Secondary Hull.
One doesn't even really need to analyse it that much - basic common sense would tell the average viewer it's really not likely to be all on one deck.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 01-26-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Your determination and tenacity to find objections is most admirable but also officially hitting the utterly ludicrous at this point.

I must assume then that from now on in watching Star Trek retrospectively anything not involving a clear and explicit transition between decks leads us to the conclusion everything takes place on the same deck as well?

Should likely lead to some interesting internal layout revisions for all the Enterprises we've seen up to this point.

One doesn't even really need to analyse it that much - basic common sense would tell the average viewer it's really not likely to be all on one deck.
I am appealing to his literal thinking.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I am appealing to his literal thinking.
Fair enough!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
True enough. But from what I saw on screen, they didn't move between decks. Or if they did, it wasn't noticeable. In most, if not all other incarnations of Star Trek, including the movies, the characters always clearly used turbolifts or Jeffries tubes to move between decks. And in most cases, the character would verbally issue a command denoting what deck they were going to.

Quote:
I'd have to agree. Turbolifts are quick. If one is indeed going to a different deck.

Quote:

I'm not disputing the location of engineering. Of course it's in the secondary hull.

Quote:
I don't know that was engineering. All I saw was a big room with people walking everywhere and a bunch of tubular support structures apparently holding the roof up. Along with some random tubes and pipes going every which way. Could have been engineering. But then again, could have been a staging area near the shuttlebay. There's no way to be sure.

Quote:
True. Spock used the turbolift to get from what was apparently the rear of the secondary hull to the iBridge in just a couple of seconds. Which begs the question, why did it take him almost two minutes to get from the iBridge to the transporter room? As far as Chekov, after watching that scene, I can tell the difference between a camera angle change and a time jump cut. In this case, because Chekov's voice overlaps the cuts, it looks to me like a camera angle change rather than a time cut. But that's how I see it. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
See above.

Quote:
Once again, I'm not disputing the location of engineering. It is in the secondary hull. That's the only place large enough for it.