The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How Big Is The iBridge Deck On The Abramsprise??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
uglyprise wow that's harsh
That's what happens when you think you're being clever.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think regarding scaling - it seems agreed that it's bigger no matter what. How much bigger seems not to have been pinned down yet.
Actually, in the Blu-Ray extras, the size is actually pinned down. I think I catch your meaning, since the thread topic is about the size of the bridge, so I just misspoke! Based upon the picture posted by Macon ACE, and from what we saw in the movie, the bridge is ROUGHLY the same size as the one in TOS (maybe a tad bit more spacious), but the Command Deck (the Dome) is just that--a deck (there are windows to the sides of the main bridge's window/viewscreen/HUD) that may house the ready room, and perhaps conference rooms and other offices/labs. So the "Command Deck Dome" is huge, because it's a deck, but the actualy nerve center of command--the Bridge (or the CIC in BSG parlance) is roughly the same size. The shuttles approaching the Enterprise were in the distance. As they approach, they grow larger in size. They look too small for their personsonel because of perspective (something I learned in art class...That, and drawing nudes are not always as exotic as one may believe!)

Quote:
Personally I hope the industrial look isn't lost, but I imagine it will depend more on whether the script calls for these areas to be seen anyway rather than doing it for the sake of redressing issues that don't exist for all anyway.
Same here. I loved the industrial look of the main engineering deck. They may alter it, as you said, depending on the script, budget, or both. Whether they find a new massive location, or go "Avatar" to create a futuristic industrial look, or a mixture of both, as long as it looks like the bowels of the powerhouse, I'll be happy.

Quote:
Probably the ship will be tinkered with anyway - after TSFS it's become standard practice to revise interiors and sometimes exteriors without explanation anyway. It will likely continue here.
I hope not, buddy. That was a pet peeve of mine. Why, with every movie, did it look like there was a new and improved bridge? It struck me as a very Hollywood thing and took something away from the experience--even if just for a moment.

Last edited by Dominus of Megadeus : 02-08-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
uglyprise wow that's harsh why can't we all talk about the good in Star Trek other then the flaws and things like that.
There were a couple of good things in the movie. And I have talked about them. And yes, "uglyprise" is harsh. But I think it's ugly. And I can't bring myself to call that thing the Enterprise. Because it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
That's what happens when you think you're being clever.
Nope. That's what happens when one states his opinion. I think it's ugly. It's that simple.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:50 AM
Ensign

Zim,

I completely accept and understand that you don't like the new 'Prise. That's cool with me. I happen to like it. And I accept it -not as a re-imagined TOS 'Prise - but as a new and different design. It will never replace the original(s) in my mind.

But I hope that we've at least chipped away at the perception that the new ship is "wrong." I just don't see all the scale problems that others do. There may have been some initial confusion amongst the powers that be on this thing, but it looks to me like once they decided to go all "star destroyer" on our collective asses, that ILM got it right.

Also, we're obviously looking at completely new designs and improved tech throughout the new movie. In this regard, those same powers that be are sneaky tricksters. They claim to honor canon and continuity, but it's clear a lot of things are different - even before Nero pops up.

I think that whoever postulated that this entire movie takes place in an alternate universe got it right. 'Cuz to me: it's obvious from the first few seconds of the Kelvin's debut it has no place in the pre-TOS universe.

It's all still pretty cool, though - IMO.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon ACE View Post
Zim,

I completely accept and understand that you don't like the new 'Prise. That's cool with me. I happen to like it. And I accept it -not as a re-imagined TOS 'Prise - but as a new and different design. It will never replace the original(s) in my mind.
I can understand that. I don't accept the Abramsprise as a re-imagined TOS Enterprise either. Because it's not. It is indeed a totally different animal all together. I have no problem with those who like the Abramsprise. That's their prorogative. I just can't make myself like that ship. And I have tried. It's just too ungainly and wierd looking for my tastes.

Quote:
But I hope that we've at least chipped away at the perception that the new ship is "wrong." I just don't see all the scale problems that others do. There may have been some initial confusion amongst the powers that be on this thing, but it looks to me like once they decided to go all "star destroyer" on our collective asses, that ILM got it right.
I disagree. I'm sorry, but to me, the Abramsprise is definitely "wrong" in every sense of the word. The scaling issues are readily apparent in several shots within the movie and have been discussed at length in several other threads.

Quote:
Also, we're obviously looking at completely new designs and improved tech throughout the new movie. In this regard, those same powers that be are sneaky tricksters. They claim to honor canon and continuity, but it's clear a lot of things are different - even before Nero pops up.
Absolutely. I have been saying that for a long time. As have several others. I think there is a thread dedicated to that theory.

Quote:
I think that whoever postulated that this entire movie takes place in an alternate universe got it right. 'Cuz to me: it's obvious from the first few seconds of the Kelvin's debut it has no place in the pre-TOS universe.
Yep. I feel the same way. And to consider that possibility makes the whole movie easier to accept.

Quote:
It's all still pretty cool, though - IMO.
Yeah. Some of it is. I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy who is set in his ways and too deeply entrenched in the "old ways" to be enticed by all the flashy whiz-bang glitter of NuTrek. I like my Trek just as it was. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Vice Admiral

Ah well I have to agree to disagree with everything you say about NuTrek OK

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think the only real scaling issue is with the "ship being built" scene as opposed to all of the space scenes.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Commander

Zim, as to the scaling of the outside, note that in the previous posted shot, and this one from trekCaps.net, it is clear that the Bridge Deck is easily larger than the Bridge itself:

Remember, there is a famous publicity shot with Spock in front of the viewer that establishes it's height as around the height of a human male (somewhere around 2-2.5 meters). Screen shot from TrekCaps.net:

Now, the actual set is an Oval, NOT a circle as in past bridges.

Looking at this, it is clear that a good 65-70% of the frond of the Bridge is taken up by the viewer/window.

This would allow for the corridor to cover a 180 degree arc around the Bridge itself and still fit within the "Command Deck".

It also means that the Corridor surrounding the back half of the Bridge does not penetrate the walls of the Bridge Deck on screen, and this is consistent in that regard.

So going by the height of the window/viewer from the outside, and it's width, everything we have seen that has been proven to be on the Bridge deck will fit.

Last edited by OneBuckFilms : 02-08-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Embedding
Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Those are awesome pics

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 02-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Zim, as to the scaling of the outside, note that in the previous posted shot, and this one from trekCaps.net, it is clear that the Bridge Deck is easily larger than the Bridge itself:

Remember, there is a famous publicity shot with Spock in front of the viewer that establishes it's height as around the height of a human male (somewhere around 2-2.5 meters). Screen shot from TrekCaps.net:

Now, the actual set is an Oval, NOT a circle as in past bridges.

Looking at this, it is clear that a good 65-70% of the frond of the Bridge is taken up by the viewer/window.

This would allow for the corridor to cover a 180 degree arc around the Bridge itself and still fit within the "Command Deck".

It also means that the Corridor surrounding the back half of the Bridge does not penetrate the walls of the Bridge Deck on screen, and this is consistent in that regard.

So going by the height of the window/viewer from the outside, and it's width, everything we have seen that has been proven to be on the Bridge deck will fit.
I have to agree with this. This is basically what I have been saying all along. The iBridge deck is extremely large and accomodates many, many rooms other than just the iBridge. The images help to illustrate the point.