The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How Big Is The iBridge Deck On The Abramsprise??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Ensign

Yay! You've solved it: "...the ship is the size of a Star Destroyer..."
But seriously, could the "door to somewhere" be a turbo-lift?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon ACE View Post
Yay! You've solved it: "...the ship is the size of a Star Destroyer..."
But seriously, could the "door to somewhere" be a turbo-lift?
It could very well be. But it still appears to be attached to a corridor that appears to run in front of the iBridge. I still think that they have TARDIS tech in the Abramsverse. It makes the inside of the ship look bigger than the outside.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Here's a high res screen shot of Kirk and Uhura as they run down the corridor to the iBridge door. This is an uncut shot that shows them run around a corner, down a corridor, and onto the iBridge through the entrance door. You'll notice that there is a whole lotta room in that corridor. There is also another corridor or at least a door across from the iBridge door. As well as a corridor that apparently runs in front of the iBridge - which we know is not possible because of the pullout shot through the viewindow that clearly shown nothing in front of the iBridge. Apparently, the corridor Uhura and Kirk are running down also continues past the iBridge door as well. It appears that there is a large amount of space on the iBridge deck. Just from that shot you can see at least 3 corridors as well as more doors to more rooms. Yet the exterior of the ship would seem to show that there isn't that much room on that deck. Unless the ship is the size of a Star Destroyer, that is.
Attachment 1923
Yep, I mean it's pretty clear from the pullback shot that the deck the bridge is on is now very large - that's clear from the first viewing.

But that layout doesn't really imply an exterior/interior disconnect.

The far away door behind Kirk could be a storage locker for all we know, or a room or anything.

The corridor leading away would fit as it's heading back into the deck and the corridor they are running along may well continue along behind the bridge before going off elsewhere.

If you think of it like the Ent-D Bridge (bear with me here) -

The Bridge is at the very front where the centre command area is - Draw an imaginary line across the D bridge cutting off Conn and Ops - including Picard etc

That corridor behind the bridge runs a bit like the wooden horseshoe behind that bridge as part of the larger deck and then the rest of the deck unfolds out where things like the ready room etc are.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Yep, I mean it's pretty clear from the pullback shot that the deck the bridge is on is now very large - that's clear from the first viewing.

But that layout doesn't really imply an exterior/interior disconnect.

The far away door behind Kirk could be a storage locker for all we know, or a room or anything.
True. That's what I was thinking. Since that door looks just like every other door we see that leads into a room, it would be safe to assume that it, too leads into another room of some sort. However, that would mean that the room was situated beyond the front of the iBridge. When Kirk and Uhura enter the bridge through the door in the corridor, the viewindow is to their right. We get the pan shot that pretty much gives a good idea of the size of the iBridge as well. From where they came around the corner until they entered the iBridge door is, as far as I can tell, farther than from the door to the viewindow. So to me, there is a discrepency between the size as shown from the outside and the inside size as shown.

Quote:
The corridor leading away would fit as it's heading back into the deck and the corridor they are running along may well continue along behind the bridge before going off elsewhere.
'Tis possible.

Quote:
If you think of it like the Ent-D Bridge (bear with me here) -

The Bridge is at the very front where the centre command area is - Draw an imaginary line across the D bridge cutting off Conn and Ops - including Picard etc

That corridor behind the bridge runs a bit like the wooden horseshoe behind that bridge as part of the larger deck and then the rest of the deck unfolds out where things like the ready room etc are.
I don't know that much about the D's schematics. I'll take your word on that one. That analogy works fine for the corridor that seems to go behind the iBridge. But it still doesn't explain the corridor that Kirk and Uhura came from at the beginning of that scene that seems to run across in front of the iBridge.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
True. That's what I was thinking. Since that door looks just like every other door we see that leads into a room, it would be safe to assume that it, too leads into another room of some sort.
Yep, if we make that assumption - but then again, the majority of starship internal doors mostly look the same whether it's a big room/little room/broom closet they open into.

So it is possible it's something else. Until it gets opened - we're speculating.

Quote:
However, that would mean that the room was situated beyond the front of the iBridge. When Kirk and Uhura enter the bridge through the door in the corridor, the viewindow is to their right. We get the pan shot that pretty much gives a good idea of the size of the iBridge as well. From where they came around the corner until they entered the iBridge door is, as far as I can tell, farther than from the door to the viewindow. So to me, there is a discrepency between the size as shown from the outside and the inside size as shown.
Probably due to the ship changing from time to time anyways - as they've admitted to.

Quote:
'Tis possible.

I don't know that much about the D's schematics. I'll take your word on that one. That analogy works fine for the corridor that seems to go behind the iBridge. But it still doesn't explain the corridor that Kirk and Uhura came from at the beginning of that scene that seems to run across in front of the iBridge.
I would have to go back and rewatch the sequence some time and see.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
I would have to go back and rewatch the sequence some time and see.
Go back a couple of pages and check my frame-by-frame.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Go back a couple of pages and check my frame-by-frame.
I have tried to picture this in my head and I can get it to work (I think) - but it's theory so mileage will vary.

The corridor that Kirk/Uhura first appear round from may be a corridor running round the outer rim of the deck the bridge is on. This would fit if the door at the far rear were simply a storage locker or closet, but admittedly not if it was a proper room.

However as it is closed - we don't know so nothing is as yet invalid.

They come from the side edge of the deck on the left of the bridge (if we face the ship head on) and enter a curved corrider that runs like the horseshoe analagy I used before.

They come around to the door to enter the bridge on it's left (from a forward view, right from their approach) - the curvature of the corridor matches the curvature of the inside of the Bridge to their right as they enter. The other corridor seen moves away from the Bridge so is still fine and the Bridge is where it should be when we pan out from the window at the end of the scene.

That's what I determined.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Vice Admiral

Okay. Here's a rough, really rough, sketch of the iBridge deck as I see it from that Kirk/Uhura/Bones running down the corridor scene.

rough schematic.jpg

I know it'll be small. I hope you can read all the little writing. If anybody wants to see a full size version, PM me.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Federation Councillor

That's basically what I mean - now - change that to add the curvature of the hull and have the corridor they appear from curve with it instead of run in a straight line because I think you have the viewindow is too close to the line of the corridor.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Vice Admiral

does it matter just asking

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy