The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What would you like to happen in Trek XII
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

The problem is that Star Trek always potrayed the Earth cities as essentially untouched and pristine...preserved just like they are today.

But Earth went through a World War that killed 600,000 million people.
Today there is no where close to that many people in the major cities of the World.

That leads me to conclude that nearly every major city was hit by a nuclear weapon Or that a huge singular section of earth was hit. We've seen no evidence of either until now in this movie.

It shows an all new San Fransisco.
This actually fit canon.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Admiral

That's a fair point Saquist.

I like how the Golden Gate Bridge still exists even though they use transporter technology to move from one part of the earth to another. I appreciate that it's so that we know it's San Francisco but it still makes me laugh

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Commander

I'm with Saquist on this. It was good to see the city change over the next 300 years.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The problem is that Star Trek always potrayed the Earth cities as essentially untouched and pristine...preserved just like they are today.

Today there is no where close to that many people in the major cities of the World.

That leads me to conclude that nearly every major city was hit by a nuclear weapon Or that a huge singular section of earth was hit. We've seen no evidence of either until now in this movie.

This actually fit canon.

Here in Europe we have buildings older than 1000 years, they exist along with the modern buildings of today. I think the cities of the future will be a mix of future and historic buildings.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneiko Katratze View Post
Here in Europe we have buildings older than 1000 years, they exist along with the modern buildings of today. I think the cities of the future will be a mix of future and historic buildings.
We saw in an earlier shot from the Academy, right after McCoy says "study my ***", just before we cut to Kirk and Gaila in Uhura's Quarters, that there are some familiar buildings in San Francisco.

One of these was that tall pyramid building from downtown (though I can't name it for the life of me) that I remember from a trip there.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Admiral

I don't actually have a problem with the change in the look of the city. All cities move on and look different. But it was more of the fact it looked a but too false considering all the stuff in space looked very real. Maybe CGI just hasn't got that far. And it is not just Trek I find that with.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I don't actually have a problem with the change in the look of the city. All cities move on and look different. But it was more of the fact it looked a but too false considering all the stuff in space looked very real. Maybe CGI just hasn't got that far. And it is not just Trek I find that with.
It looked about right to me though, especially with the fog that SF has plenty of.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
You get it!
Ta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I must say that the CGI of San Francisco when the shuttle craft were heading off to join the fleet was a bit too reminiscent of the CGI of alien planets in the TNG era. I thought they could have done better given the advances in CGI over the years.
I actually have to say that I didn't actually like the San Francisco skyline in the film.

I thought it was too heavily built up and had too many mega-skyscrapers all over the place.

Having been to San Francisco a few years ago it's not a City that I 'feel' suits massive development like that - it's too picturesque and set on the coast for it.

It's just personal of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post

This actually fit canon.
I'm not sure they've ever actually 'thought' about the devastation the wars were meant to have caused and what cities were affected.

The continued existence of the TransAmerica Pyramid, The Golden Gate Bridge and places like tha Palace of Fine Arts suggests that they were either rebuilt exactly as they were before in the aftermath of that (I'd imagine if it was nuked etc they would never have survived alone) or that possibly San Francisco escaped heavy damage.

It might even explain why it's so important in Star Trek, to Starfleet etc as a Headquarters.

If it was one of the few major cities to go with it's infrastructure untouched it may have been a place where the politicaland social rebuild began.

Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
We saw in an earlier shot from the Academy, right after McCoy says "study my ***", just before we cut to Kirk and Gaila in Uhura's Quarters, that there are some familiar buildings in San Francisco.

One of these was that tall pyramid building from downtown (though I can't name it for the life of me) that I remember from a trip there.
I think it's still called the TransAmerica Pyramid.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
That's the one !!!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

I'm not sure they've ever actually 'thought' about the devastation the wars were meant to have caused and what cities were affected.

The continued existence of the TransAmerica Pyramid, The Golden Gate Bridge and places like tha Palace of Fine Arts suggests that they were either rebuilt exactly as they were before in the aftermath of that (I'd imagine if it was nuked etc they would never have survived alone) or that possibly San Francisco escaped heavy damage.

It might even explain why it's so important in Star Trek, to Starfleet etc as a Headquarters.

If it was one of the few major cities to go with it's infrastructure untouched it may have been a place where the politicaland social rebuild began.

Just a thought.

I'm sure some cities did escape but there was evidently an exchange between the ECON and the West. Trek always shows us either San Fran or Paris. We haven't seen anyother place on Earth except New Orleans.