The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What would you like to happen in Trek XII
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 03:34 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I've not seen Avatar but I agree with what you say about the usual alien environments. Often they all look the same. Or you see the same set on DS9 that you saw on Voyager.
It's what gave Star Wars' environment a leg up as well - you knew you were in a big Galaxy teaming with vastly different races and planets because you got shown them constantly.

Trek never really had the means to add to it's environment in the same way because of the costs of doing them.

If Paramount is serious about funding more films then I'd like to see the Star Trek Galaxy get fleshed out with all this background life and variety as well as keeping the focus on the stories at hand.

The glimpses of the Delta Vega refinery, the 'Devil in the Dark' mining complex, the starbases, other ships, spaceports and planet environments - I love those glimpses into the bigger picture of the Galaxy and how it works.

Let's see more of that as well!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

I am not too eager to see a "believable" CG planet (how about simply shooting outside like in INS?), especially in a movie which already needs all the CGI for scenes in space. I also fail to see why engineering has to be the super-duper set, just make something decent which is instantly recognizable.
Larger is not always better.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:56 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The only likelihood from that that can be foreseen is that then Avatar becomes what Abrams gets accused of ripping off from next time around - though it certainly would be nice to see a more truly complete alien world in Star Trek rather than the more common citiscapes and Earth-like environments that other budget conscious productions could not afford to produce - from certain quarters of opinion.

Then again, as long as perhaps he (and the writers) realizes that in certain areas he's going to from now on be damned anyway whatever he does - he could go on ahead and use the breakthroughs and effects that Avatar employed just like that without worrying about it too much!
Good point. That's the trouble of living in a world with a genius. I can't stand the movie, "Titanic" (mushy-mushy, kissy-kissy, goo-goo). But, as a lover of THE ART, I cannot help but admire James Cameron's vision and creative power. It was great movie making--spectacle that was not seen since the days of DeMille...until "Avatar". So every film post-Avatar will be seen as cribbing something from Cameron.

Then again, we've been cribbing from "the Bard" ever since his first sonnet!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Captain

Quote:
It's what gave Star Wars' environment a leg up as well - you knew you were in a big Galaxy teaming with vastly different races and planets because you got shown them constantly.

Trek never really had the means to add to it's environment in the same way because of the costs of doing them.

If Paramount is serious about funding more films then I'd like to see the Star Trek Galaxy get fleshed out with all this background life and variety as well as keeping the focus on the stories at hand.

The glimpses of the Delta Vega refinery, the 'Devil in the Dark' mining complex, the starbases, other ships, spaceports and planet environments - I love those glimpses into the bigger picture of the Galaxy and how it works.

You get it!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:

I must say that the CGI of San Francisco when the shuttle craft were heading off to join the fleet was a bit too reminiscent of the CGI of alien planets in the TNG era. I thought they could have done better given the advances in CGI over the years.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

I thought it was kewl.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:49 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I must say that the CGI of San Francisco when the shuttle craft were heading off to join the fleet was a bit too reminiscent of the CGI of alien planets in the TNG era. I thought they could have done better given the advances in CGI over the years.
Hmm...that shot didn't bother me except that I wish it could've been longer. San Francisco is known for it's fog and mist and I thought the look of the shot was hazy, depicting that. I dunno. My guess is there wasn't a lot in the film's look and effects that wasn't pretty much what the film makers wanted.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-26-2010, 03:51 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I thought it was kewl.
As well.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Admiral

I dunno. I thought it reminded me a bit of the voyager episode Workforce. Not sure why.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-26-2010, 04:03 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I dunno. I thought it reminded me a bit of the voyager episode Workforce. Not sure why.
That's funny. Maybe it was a bit of homage

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'