The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What would you like to happen in Trek XII
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Captain

I would like to see the legend of Kirk & crew grow by tying in the relocation of the Vulcan populous with something cataclysmic naturally. I'm watching "Krakatau: Volcano of Destruction" on the Science Channel and was moved to tears by the heroic actions of Captain Linderman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUlE4qO1veg
He was awarded the Cross of Gold by the Dutch government. To see Captain Kirk and crew (along with other Starfleet vessels) do something this heroic and selfless would not only strengthen the ties between Earth and Vulcan, but also the rest of Starfleet "nations" and build fear and awe in the eyes of her enemies.

Also has ties to what's going on in Haiti as well. Sometimes strength is shown through sacrifice and compassion.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Captain

Notice that the Captain asks his Number One to tie him to the helm, then his Number One refuses to go below, so the captain asks him to tie himself down.

The show is over on Science Channel, but I'm watching the clip again on You Tube. Man...I'm glad my wife isn't up here. Self-sacrifice always gets me...

(but that one ensign sure did run below with a quickness!)

Last edited by Dominus of Megadeus : 01-23-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I'd like to see a sci-fi-ish story instead of a budget-festival plus more of the cut-out Orion but with a more natural and healthy looking skin tone.
I can go with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Just to kinda do the 'exploring' part of the gig, rather than potter about Federation space and find another singular villain with plans to destroy something large.

If they want to add a control room to engineering it's not really a make or break thing design wise but I don't want them to abruptly lose the industrial look either - I rather prefer it myself.
You and Horatio think alike.

A major Villain has been in 8 film of Star Trek.
All of the last six

Time for a natural disaster or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
(double posting and jumping from the Enterprise model thread)

I'd like to see the Enterprise redesigned to more resemble the TMP E. And an absolute redesign of engineering!!!
Yes a new designer...I say destroy this one and reconstruct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
I thought the Augment explaination of the Klingon appearance umm... differential to be a rather elegant one. Especially how it tied in everything to Data's creator's ancestor (whew!) and Kahn.
YES...it was a bit contrived as most things in ENT were I would have left off the DATA connection. Or made that more of secret. ENT never did anything subtly. EVERYTHING was often done on the official record in front of a Star Fleet officer or recording device...

Old 01-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Commander

In terms of the new movie, I think they could take a leaf from Avatar regarding building an incredible, yet completely plausible alien world.

I'd also like to see some Refinement to Engineering, since though I like the basic approach, it really needed more definition both geographically within the ship, as well as in terms of Components being at least somewhat recognizable.

I'd create a large set, and augment it with Bluescreen, capturing some of the "style" of the first film's brewery, but making it more like an actual Engine Room.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Captain

In fact, OneBuck, that was the producers' intent, according to the Blu-Ray extras, but the budget didn't allow for them to make the truly amazing artist conception of what engineering would look like come to pass. So, in order to get the scale (because they REALLY wanted to show the massiveness and power of starships), they had to go the biggest industrial facility they could find (and the bean counters at Paramount would allow). Now, granted, Paramount was VERY generous with this production, compared to past Trek productions, but they really need to loosen up those purse strings more so they can make an awe-inspiring engineering deck. Heck, rent out that aircraft hanger they use on "Mythbusters", paint it chroma key green, and make movie magic!

Last edited by Dominus of Megadeus : 01-23-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Commander

Hopefully, they will have the budget to do it in the second feature.

There will probably be less of a development budget needed, since the Bridge, the Enterprise and other standard items alread exist, so they may be able to spare more for Engineering.

However, that would depend on what new elements need to be designed.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Federation Councillor

It depends on how much engineering will need to be seen in the next film.

If it only gets seen briefly there is really no justification for spending a large portion of budget redoing anything significantly, if it is then they may do something but the basis would likely be on the locations and appearance of it in the first film.

With possibly a control room being the main addition to appease some of the apparent upset.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-24-2010, 01:32 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
J.J. Abrams: So if your question is, would I change the engine room for future films? No, I don’t have any plans. But, I don’t have any plans to keep it the same either, we are not there yet. The Budweiser plant and the power stations served us really well.
http://trekmovie.com/2009/11/16/excl...r-trek-sequel/

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-24-2010, 03:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
In terms of the new movie, I think they could take a leaf from Avatar regarding building an incredible, yet completely plausible alien world.
The only likelihood from that that can be foreseen is that then Avatar becomes what Abrams gets accused of ripping off from next time around - though it certainly would be nice to see a more truly complete alien world in Star Trek rather than the more common citiscapes and Earth-like environments that other budget conscious productions could not afford to produce - from certain quarters of opinion.

Then again, as long as perhaps he (and the writers) realises that in certain areas he's going to from now on be damned anyway whatever he does - he could go on ahead and use the breakthroughs and effects that Avatar employed just like that without worrying about it too much!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The only likelihood from that that can be foreseen is that then Avatar becomes what Abrams gets accused of ripping off from next time around - though it certainly would be nice to see a more truly complete alien world in Star Trek rather than the more common citiscapes and Earth-like environments that other budget conscious productions could not afford to produce - from certain quarters of opinion.

Then again, as long as perhaps he (and the writers) realises that in certain areas he's going to from now on be damned anyway whatever he does - he could go on ahead and use the breakthroughs and effects that Avatar employed just like that without worrying about it too much!
I've not seen Avatar but I agree with what you say about the usual alien environments. Often they all look the same. Or you see the same set on DS9 that you saw on Voyager.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"