The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > The AVATAR depreciation thread!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
I'm not sure if rare is acurate Saq. Of the films I've seen in the last month I can think of two others that have those very values you cite- The Road and especially The Book of Eli. The values there were just wrapped in gritty and drab( and nearly monotoned) packages. And had better and more complicated stories than Avatar,IMO. And if you want values in another pretty package try Up.

Or Star Trek.
You can't wrap a good lesson in poor wrapping paper. Kinda diminishes the gift. Cameron offering something beautiful. Something to be appreciated.

I haven't seen Up. or the other movies.
But Trek had no good values.

Kirk war horny he wasn't looking for anything more than a one night stand.
Spock's story was secondary so any value in it is unfortunantly juxtaposed on the same path of Kirk. Nero made no sense.
The movie had not message but come and be entertained.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well, Kirk was just hid good old horny self and the movie was about the usual Trek stuff, protect the Federation from the bad guys ... be it a crazy Augment, a crazy Klingon, hawkish military guys, a crazy El-Aurian, the Borg, hawkish military guys again, a crazy human, a crazy Romulan.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

But at least...Chang wasn't crazy and amazing...I think the best Trek Movies were the ones with moral value The Undiscovered Country and The Voyage Home.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure it's completely worthy of a Best Picture Oscar myself...but it seems like the Hollywood types are really enamored with Cameron once again. If they look at it as a movie that will change movies forever, then Star Wars should have won in 1977. So, essentially I agree with the OP, the effects shouldn't be the reason for a Best Pic award.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Chang was better than Khan!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

Both are excellent, but I do like Chang a bit more.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Federation Councillor

It depends on how you define 'best'.

When it comes to the Academy Awards I could name a long list of 'wins' (and nominations) that I personally would not agree with but which ended up there anyway. In that respect it's as worth a nomination as anything else.

The Departed, Chicago and especially A Beautiful Mind. Heck, throw in Crash and Million Dollar Baby as well.

It depends why it gets nominated - sometime the Oscars are awarded for past glory (see The Departed and Scorcese), because it's an achievement (Return of the King was a proxy win for the whole trilogy) or a straightforward Hollywood epic out of the past (like Cameron's previous Titanic).

Avatar could be nominated (and win) because it's a very lavish and at it's core traditional epic piece. I've not seen all the potential nominees so far so I can't really judge it against it's main competition (The Hurt Locker) or some of the others. Some haven't been released in the UK so far I think.

As to Avatar itself, well I certainly connected to the N'avi and felt for them at key points when there way of life was being threatened so if other's didn't that's their business but, it wasn't an issue I had.

Thematically and storywise it's not new - I would note that Cameron has never pretended it was - but neither was it a new story when Dances With Wolves swept the Oscars in 1991 and so that argument really fails with me. Like most epics it has a relatively simple core theme.

How preachy it is might possibly depend on how conservative one is (since most of the complaints come from more conservative reviewers and publications) - I'm not - particularly so don't care about that particular gripe. That's up to the people who feel that way to deal with.

Basically, it will get a nomination and it stands a strong chance of winning, but I don't need it to win to validate it in any way.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

Confident and concise, Kevin.
That's why you're commander Star Fleet.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Personally, my feeling is that the Academy will split the two categories between Avatar and The Hurt Locker.

Either

Best Picture - The Hurt Locker and Best Director - James Cameron

or

Best Picture - Avatar and Best Director Kathryn Bigelow

Which should be fun for the former Mr and Mrs Cameron to win on the same night!

courtesy of Saquist