The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > The AVATAR depreciation thread!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Rear Admiral

Default The AVATAR depreciation thread!

I don't think AVATAR deserves to be named Best Picture. The truly astounding visuals of the film weren't enough to compensate for what I feel was a so-so story. Don't get me wrong. I saw it twice and will probably see it again and I'm sure I'll buy it when it's released on disk. But I never emotionally connected with the characters the way I have with so many other films I've seen over the years. Not the way I have with other Cameron films and certainly not the way I did with Star Trek '09 (with all its flaws).

Most innovative, most visually spectacular, most money-making, most talked about? Yes, yes, yes and yes. But best picture? I say no.

Am I the only one?

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Vice Admiral

I haven't seen it yet, but a coworker whose opinion I respect said about what you said. 3 hours of preachy eye-candy with plots you can figure out within 15 minutes isn't the recipe for 'best' movie.

If they just changed the name of the award from "BEST" to "MOST POPULAR" I wouldn't have any beef with the process.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

It was perhaps the most predictable movie I've ever seen, but also the most emotional one.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Admiral

I haven't see it, but from what I've read and heard, it reminds me of Dances With Wolves aside from all the scifi elements of course. I'll have to check it out sometime, mostly everything I've heard has been extremely positive.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 01-19-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

I liked a lot of things about Avatar.

For once a film actually was instilling good values, conservation, humility, nature and the defense of home. It so rare now films actually have any values that this movie is almost fresh. There is predilection for entertainment to merely be blood sport, sex and explosion. Cameron gives us all the daily requirements for a movie but with a visual spectacle and emotional connection that transcends the plot itself. I have to say Bravo.

If you couldn't predict where this movie was going from the outset and who was going to do what when where and why they you not accustomed to using your brain. Cameron makes it more than abundantly clear. The characters are simple (like many of us) Simple goals with simple reactions. Heart, hate, despair and sadness.

None of the characters step out of character.
None of the Plot Devices are contrived (except for a minor one) [Finding the Trailer near the soul of Trees without even trying]
No Deus Ex Machine

In every way this movie is Pocahontas, the Story of Columbus, Spanish Conquistadors, Amistad. This was nothing but an Invasion story from the beginning.

It does not surprise me that sum don't appreciate the movie. The movie industry has catered to the darker feral and debase desires of the movie goers and so no wonder the chaffing of a movie that has a moral. Most people don't want to be told morals so movies like this and the people like them are termed "preachy". They feel they're sensibilities are being attack.

Goodness isn't something you're born with it's something you're taught.
Most people (or at least I chose to believe) have a sense of Goodness. Avatar touches that part if you have it.

Look at all that you hold dear..
Look at all those you love...
Look at all that matters most.
They can be taken, they are perishable...they burn, they die, they expire.

Sympathy is the measure of how one feels about the plight of others.
There were those in the film and outside the film that had no sympathy...no emotional connection, just a goal just an attitude. It only matters if it happens to them.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:20 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I liked a lot of things about Avatar.

For once a film actually was instilling good values, conservation, humility, nature and the defense of home. It so rare now films actually have any values that this movie is almost fresh. There is predilection for entertainment to merely be blood sport, sex and explosion. Cameron gives us all the daily requirements for a movie but with a visual spectacle and emotional connection that transcends the plot itself. I have to say Bravo.

If you couldn't predict where this movie was going from the outset and who was going to do what when where and why they you not accustomed to using your brain. Cameron makes it more than abundantly clear. The characters are simple (like many of us) Simple goals with simple reactions. Heart, hate, despair and sadness.

None of the characters step out of character.
None of the Plot Devices are contrived (except for a minor one) [Finding the Trailer near the soul of Trees without even trying]
No Deus Ex Machine

In every way this movie is Pocahontas, the Story of Columbus, Spanish Conquistadors, Amistad. This was nothing but an Invasion story from the beginning.

It does not surprise me that sum don't appreciate the movie. The movie industry has catered to the darker feral and debase desires of the movie goers and so no wonder the chaffing of a movie that has a moral. Most people don't want to be told morals so movies like this and the people like them are termed "preachy". They feel they're sensibilities are being attack.

Goodness isn't something you're born with it's something you're taught.
Most people (or at least I chose to believe) have a sense of Goodness. Avatar touches that part if you have it.

Look at all that you hold dear..
Look at all those you love...
Look at all that matters most.
They can be taken, they are perishable...they burn, they die, they expire.

Sympathy is the measure of how one feels about the plight of others.
There were those in the film and outside the film that had no sympathy...no emotional connection, just a goal just an attitude. It only matters if it happens to them.
I'm not sure if rare is acurate Saq. Of the films I've seen in the last month I can think of two others that have those very values you cite- The Road and especially The Book of Eli. The values there were just wrapped in gritty and drab( and nearly monotoned) packages. And had better and more complicated stories than Avatar,IMO. And if you want values in another pretty package try Up.

Or Star Trek.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Rear Admiral

As a film buff and sci-fi fan I consider the film a must see, particularly in 3D IMAX! Don't wait to see it on the small screen. I just don't feel it was the best picture of '09.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-19-2010, 05:47 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Well, you won't find many small budget movies in the Hollywood incest award cycle.
No, not many. But this year a movie called Precious is receiving its due.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'