The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Favorite Goldsmith Score?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Favortie Goldsmith Trek Score
The Motion Picture 14 60.87%
The Final Frontier 6 26.09%
First Contact 6 26.09%
Insurrection 1 4.35%
Nemesis 2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default Favorite Goldsmith Score?

I did a Favorite One-Timer Poll a while back and figured I'd gauge the opinions of y'all on what your favorite Jerry Goldsmith Trek score is. I will allow multiple choice for those like me who can only narrow it down to two.

TMP & TFF are my faves and I can't pick one over the other.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

FC or INS, but "New Sight" from INS has to win.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 AM
Lieutenant

Default Goldsmith

I think that appreciation should be given to non-Trek Goldsmith scores as well. It's all subjective for sure, but some of my favorites include Rudy and The Edge. There are so many to choose from though across an incredible scoring career. When a great movie and a great soundtrack are both emotionally intertwined as to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts, that's special. Rudy in particular, especially if one is interested in college football, is very special and emotionally involving. In The Edge, Goldsmith captures the vastness and majesty and remoteness of the Alaskan wilderness. As for the Star Trek franchise, while I am an unabashed ''first generation'' (TOS) fan, I think Goldsmith's pinnacle score was First Contact. Not only did First Contact mark the height of Goldsmith's scoring for the franchise, but it also was the high water mark for the TNG-era movies...and of course it was emotionally involving.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:10 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Other non-Trek consideration should be given to The Omen's "Ava Satani." Goldsmith won an academy award for best score. Back on point, my vote TMP.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Rear Admiral

Iv'e never been one who actually considers scores as a whole. I tend to be more visually oriented. But certain themes do make strong impressions on me. The only one from the Trek films that I truly, truly love is Ilia's theme from TMP. So despite the fact that the TMP/TNG theme has never been a fave of mine, I give my vote to TMP. Oh yeah, I DO like the Klingon theme in that one as well, nicely percussive!

And to vector away a bit , my favorite Trek tv theme is Voyager, despite that being one of my least favorite Trek shows. Oh well.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Storm Pictures View Post
I think that appreciation should be given to non-Trek Goldsmith scores as well. It's all subjective for sure, but some of my favorites include Rudy and The Edge. There are so many to choose from though across an incredible scoring career. When a great movie and a great soundtrack are both emotionally intertwined as to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts, that's special. Rudy in particular, especially if one is interested in college football, is very special and emotionally involving. In The Edge, Goldsmith captures the vastness and majesty and remoteness of the Alaskan wilderness. As for the Star Trek franchise, while I am an unabashed ''first generation'' (TOS) fan, I think Goldsmith's pinnacle score was First Contact. Not only did First Contact mark the height of Goldsmith's scoring for the franchise, but it also was the high water mark for the TNG-era movies...and of course it was emotionally involving.
I love The Edge! Brilliant movie and score!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
And to vector away a bit , my favorite Trek tv theme is Voyager, despite that being one of my least favorite Trek shows. Oh well.
Truly, outstanding opening sequence as well.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Even though I think Goldsmith's most important "Trek" work was the phenomenal score for the first feature, I have a sentimental spot for his "Star Trek V"
work so I voted for that score.
When the credits role, after the opening scene with Sybok, the "Mountain" theme that opens up the Kirk/Spock/McCoy scene is truly exhilirating and one of the best Trek music moments of all time.
With very sub par special effects, Goldsmith's great score goes a long way to making you feel like this is still "Star Trek".
Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

WOW! 'Twas a tough choice, but ultimately, I had to go with Nemesis.

I loved the uptempo, mood setting introductory piece, as well as the rest of the score. The battle music was great.

Before this, I would have to say The Motion Picture. It has the best (and original) rendition of the Klingon theme...and the ambience of the music, the analog "chamber" feel of it (as opposed to the digital sterility that plagues orchestral soundtracks today) is just stunning.