The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > ST V - Not as bad as you think?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default ST V - Not as bad as you think?

Ive watched ST:V again today, it was on Sky this morning, now i remember it being a bit naff and its generally regarded as pretty poor, but aside from very ropey special effects and a couple of ropey scenes actually enjoyed watching it, why do folk think its so poor? Do you think that if Shatner could go back and do a directors cut and polish up the CGI, would it be a better movie?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Federation Councillor

I have often wondered if replacing the dire effects would at least make it more presentable as a viewing experience.

(When you can virtually see the strings on the models it can take you out of the film a bit).

And certainly parts of the basic story are grounded in the kinds of things that TOS used to do.

Travelling with total ease to the very centre of the Galaxy and finding a big powerful entity there etc, etc

But most of the dialogue is poor and the action elements still fall flat, Sybock is a mistake of execution if not conception on a basic level and at the end of the day I find the bad outweighs the good on it mostly.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

Personally, I love The Final Frontier and I agree that updating the effects would help the film quite a bit. Overall, it's no sillier than a TOS season 3 episode.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Here's a different take on it. Had there been no "Star Trek I-IV" and "Star Trek V" had been the 1st film in the series, I think people would have liked it more.
In my opinion, each Star Trek movie from the first one on kinda sorta improved
on the one before it.
The weakness of "The Final Frontier" is that the smorgasboard of ideas on display had already been delivered in a superior way in one of the previous films.
(The Klingons had been used better in Trek III, Humor had been used better in IV,
the special effects of the 1st 4 films were far superior than what Bran Farran's group
could pull together for Shatner).
On the plus side, you have an underrated wonderful guest star in Lawrence Luckinbill and a remarkable score by Jerry Goldsmith. Those 2 elements add a lot to the mix, but overall the film is generally regarded on the lower end of "Star Trek" moviedom and rightly so, IMO.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

SW colony with SW bar... desert unicorn horses... and Bill Kaulitz in space.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I don't think that the movie would be much better in a CG-ified version. I'd say that it's main weaknesses are plot issues whereas it's strength the character moments.
I agree, the strongest parts of the film to me are the camping scenes.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Federation Councillor

I would agree about the camping scene and the general early character moments, but they become less compelling as the film goes on I find.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

It isn't any less compelling than Insurrection. That whole movie isn't compelling...

Had to get a shot in there! Just had to!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Commander

I wouldn't deny that Insurrection is still the least cinematic of all the ST films. But it at least manages to avoid being embarassing like so much of STV and Nemesis were.

Even seeing V in theaters at age 15 -and actually thinking at the time that the 'humor' in it was somehow funny- I remember being aware of how cringingly on-the-nose much of the dialogue was, right from the time Sybok opened with "Your pain runs deep." Even the much-beloved campfire scene doesn't get a free pass. Kirk and friends are like family? You don't actually come out and say that after twenty-plus years... you just don't do that (although in Shatner's defense, didn't Janeway actually come right out and refer to her crew as a family on several occasions? Way too on-the-nose.)

I also wouldn't deny that STV was better than most of TOS's 3rd season (it had better be, with all the money involved). It doesn't change the fact that I pretty much write off all of S3, save for the pilot episodes that tend to get clumped in with it like demo tracks at the tail end of a CD anthology collection.

I dare say, I think most of us would forgive the poor special effects (save for maybe the confrontation with 'God' having no line-of-sight spatial continuity), if the rest of the movie had compensated in any significant way. But I'm with the general consensus which says that it didn't.