The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Earth/Romulan War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Midshipman

Exclamation Earth/Romulan War

I'm a little surprised they gave this film to Abrams. I heard that months before his project came around, that Berman approached Paramount about doing a film about the Earth/Romulan War and got a favorable response. There may have been logistical problems and it may have gotten mired down in timeline/continuity issues. In Balance of Terror Spock indicated that the Earth/Romulan War had ended around 90 years before and there was no ship-to-ship visual at that time. That would place it well after the NX-01 Enterprise timeline but it doesn't seem to match up. Archer encountered the Romulans (unknowingly) in the episode where they get a mine attached to their hull, and nothing was mentioned about the Romulans. Ship-to-ship was certainly feasible and used in the time of the NX class.

Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

Would you like to see some Log entries from the begining and the end or the Romulan War as well as the Log of the destruction of Star Base 1 to the romulans?

The Log appears in the Star Trek Space Flight chronology book. It's not canon but it paints a picture of what the writers and producers of Star Trek originaly thought the war would be like.

I could type it in about Ten minutes.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Spock may have just been refering to no ship to ship visual with the Romulans. Such as the Roumlans not allowing it.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Oh and welcome aboard gaurdianofforever and aef6259.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Referring to the map on your screens, you will note beyond our vessel a line of Earth outpost stations. Constructed on asteroids, they monitor the Neutral Zone established by treaty after the Earth-Romulan conflict a century ago. As you may recall, this conflict was fought, by standards today, with primitive atomic weapons and in primitive space vessels which allowed no quarter, no captives, nor was there even ship-to-ship visual communication.
To me, it sounds like the ships were incapable of ship to ship visual communications, however, I'll make the suggestion that NX Enterprise was not the sort of ship sent into organized battle. You don't throw your biggest, best, most expensive ships onto the front line. The fighting was likely done by older, more expendable ships as much as possible.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

I doubt that. the technology was sufficient for ever other culture to make visual contact. I propose that it was merely isolationist behavior not to give away there's identity to an race that would soon be an enemy.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aef6259 View Post
Spock may have just been refering to no ship to ship visual with the Romulans. Such as the Roumlans not allowing it.
The Ferengi were wary of visual contact in their first TNG appearance.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

That is true...
however I think the romulans reasons were far more sinister...i think they knew of the Earth Vulcan alliance and they sought to captialize on their romulan vulcan similarities.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Well, that's certainly an interesting idea and I admit, Spock's words could be read as "they didn't let us see!".

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

quite simply with the romulan prejudice as a variable their supicions would likely lead to infiltration and thus the need for spies.