The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Info on tech book for new movie anyone?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
A technical manual would be nearly impossible to write for the movie since none of the equipment in the movie runs on real energy types unlike TOS and TNG which use real world energies. I can only imagine touring the engine room of the new ship, here lies the empty beer tanks that use for warp drive. Have a look.......a whole lot of nothing. Then someone from the tour asks the guide how do they power the ship. The guide answers that nobody knows since the writers kept pulling ideas out of their asses with no real science or explanation behind anything. It's like the dyson vaccum commercial, "it's just supposed to work". Maybe someone should poor a big bottle of jack daniels in the intermix chamberand see what happens.

Pathetic.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Commander

Quote:
A technical manual would be nearly impossible to write for the movie since none of the equipment in the movie runs on real energy types unlike TOS and TNG which use real world energies. I can only imagine touring the engine room of the new ship, here lies the empty beer tanks that use for warp drive. Have a look.......a whole lot of nothing. Then someone from the tour asks the guide how do they power the ship. The guide answers that nobody knows since the writers kept pulling ideas out of their asses with no real science or explanation behind anything. It's like the dyson vaccum commercial, "it's just supposed to work". Maybe someone should poor a big bottle of jack daniels in the intermix chamberand see what happens.
Without dialogue or explanation on screen, we don't know what it runs on.

How it appears can be explained functionally with imagination.

As for the Warp Core: The Enterprise didn't have one visible in TOS.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

Of course we don't. They write reactor coolant on it and then there is water in it. How are we supposed to know how the ship runs when they can't get it right.
Of course water can be the coolant, the reactor can work like a contemporary one ... but why don't they do a friggin' movie on a contemporary ship with contemporary characters and stay out of a sci-fi franchise?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Of course we don't. They write reactor coolant on it and then there is water in it. How are we supposed to know how the ship runs when they can't get it right.
Of course water can be the coolant, the reactor can work like a contemporary one ... but why don't they do a friggin' movie on a contemporary ship with contemporary characters and stay out of a sci-fi franchise?
They are going for one thing: realism.

The fact that we don't know gives them dramatic license.

Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't meen they should stay out of it, just that you don't like it.

To have things too out there, too clinical, too futuristic or fantastic, would mean taking it out of believability.

Dramatically, the intent is that they are essentially us. That WE, HUMANS are going to do this.

So I say, let it look like humans might actually be able to build and design these things within the next 300 years.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm pretty sure there is reference in TOS to the ship having 'reactors' as well as the Warp Drive so one would have to assume the TOS ship had something to cool them as well.

Can anyone prove there was no such coolant system on the TOS ship?

Possibly as part of other power systems or operations?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Rear Admiral

Then again, maybe water is used to make coolant in a similar way you have to mix water and antifreeeze in your car.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The coolant in first contact was green and highly corrosive so TOS Enterprise's coolant is probably that sh-t or closely related. And yes the originally ship DID have a reactor, we saw the dilithium chamber and the intermix chamber so a reactor is definitely nearby.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Pathetic.
If you have a better idea speak up.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Commander

Quote:
The coolant in first contact was green and highly corrosive so TOS Enterprise's coolant is probably that sh-t or closely related. And yes the originally ship DID have a reactor, we saw the dilithium chamber and the intermix chamber so a reactor is definitely nearby.
The Movie has reactors, the "Warp Core", with around 8 different cores ejected.

My thinking is that these are the individual "Dilithium Chambers" that constitute collectively the "Warp Core".

In TNG, we know that Matter and Antimatter are channeled into the Dilithium Crystals that then control the anihilation into an energy stream, that is then siphened off into the warp nacelles to power the coils that create the Warp Field, sending the ship into Warp.

From what we've seen in the movie, the Warp Core appears to be multiple identical objects that are the individual reactor chambers, or "Dilithium Chambers" perhaps, that do the same thing.

If some are damaged or taken out, say by that missile that hit the neck of the ship, it would make sense that the Enterprise would be severely limited in terms of speed, necessitating the radiation cleanup of the lower decks mentioned by spock, or the proposed increase of the warp yield to Warp 4 capabilities necessary to catch up with the Narada in the same argument, or later in the movie.