The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Holograms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Commander

Default Holograms

Projections of photons and forcefields to create everything from inanimate objects to moving talking to people. I was wondering if they have a 'resolution', what I mean by that is how close you have to get before you begin to see individual pixels in them and they lose their realism, as I have a hard time believing that they look absolutely perfect even to close scrutiny, though several episodes suggest they're as perfect as real life. What do folk think?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

If you take the plan in Insurrection as evidence, I would think it would have to be perfect if you are going to use a holodeck as a way to fool people into thinking they are still in their homes. Worf's stepbrother also used a similar plan on TNG.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Commander

Yeah Homeward and Insurrection along with Ship in a Bottle and several others had characters believe they were in the real world when they were in the holodeck suggesting that the projections can fool the eye. Just makes me wonder how far it goes, does the detail go down to holographic cells or further...
Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Admiral

So real that the Holodoc had a child. They must be tight packed pixels

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

What about touching something, simulating the texture of an object, what about smell? What if you do a bit of gardening on the holodeck, you should get dirty and smell the soil on you, yet when you exit it should all be gone. Interaction with simulated objects should have its limits.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
What about touching something, simulating the texture of an object, what about smell? What if you do a bit of gardening on the holodeck, you should get dirty and smell the soil on you, yet when you exit it should all be gone. Interaction with simulated objects should have its limits.
Like when that snowball that Wesley through in the holodeck hit Picard who was standing outside the holodeck, but then Picard throws that book out the door and it disappears.

Like when Tom Paris is working on his Camaro in the holodeck in coveralls, but when he's on the bridge in said coveralls, he's still covered in grease. Shouldn't the grease disappear?

Always wondered, if you go for a swim in a holodeck in holodeck water and you're soaking wet, do you instantly dry up when you end the simulation? The water was holographic.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Lipstick on Picard's cheek/lips didn't disappear, because it was in contact with him and therefore was replicated. Same is true for Wesley's snowball
The book was a mistake.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Some of the stuff created on the holodeck is also replicated, so perhaps all kind of stuff you interact with like water, snow, grease is replicated?
There certainly is a lot of inconsistencies with holodeck objects, early TNG supports the idea that real objects are often replicated for use in simulations, like the snow, lipstick, and the drawing of the Enterprise that Moriarty makes which Data takes off the holodeck.

Later TNG and everything else since suggests that any object that goes beyond the door threshold ceases to exist. I guess to be fair, like many things in each incarnation of Star Trek, items like holograms serve as plot devices to be used in any way that weeks writer sees fit.

Just to be pedantic and nitpicky though... Lets say that someone has a drink of earl grey, raktajino or whatever takes their fancy on the day, if it is a replicated drink and therefore real matter, it will be drunk then be digested by the drinker. When the holodeck is turned off everything disappears, scenery, characters AND the drink inside the drinkers stomach. If the drinker had spent several hours on the holodeck, would the nutrients in the consumed holographic drink disappear from the drinkers cells? Or would the holodeck no longer consider it part of the simulation once it had changed form and so not remove it with the rest of the simulation? Begs the question, if someone spent say weeks eating holographic food... might the holodeck start to recognise part of the drinkers body as items to be removed at the end of the similution?

Say the drink isn't matter and is just photons and forcefields, people can obviously taste the stuff their consuming, this suggests that the 'resolution' of the holodeck is at least on the atomic scale as otherwise none of the holographic food/drink could be recognised by the mouths receptors.

... Sorry for all that, reading back is probably making many people roll their eyes, just thought I'd write where my thoughts took me.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

In my opinion, that would be utter nonsense. When you drink or eat something, digestion starts in the mouth. Holographic projections shouldn't be able to chemically interact with normal matter. For example the VOY episode in which Neelix gets a temporary holographic lung after the Vidiians stole his real one falls into this pattern.

On a lighter side, this line of thought also shows the limits of holobrothels.