The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek: Absolution--if the next movie were mine to make
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Commander

Exciting stuff, was disappointed there wasn't another post with the next part of the story, will be keeping an eye on this thread!

What class of ship you got the Vasquez being? Am curious to imagine more Abrams-esque versions of familiar designs.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Rear Admiral

I'm curious to find out exactly who will be absolved, and of what!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

Here's the next segment of the story:
-----------------------------

SPACE EXT-- U.S.S. ENTERPRISE

"Captain's Log: Stardate 2260.11-- Admittedly, my mind is a whirl. It's been a couple of years since I was given command of this ship, and it is still the most unreal sensation. I went into StarFleet Academy on a dare by a man whom I have come to regard as a good friend, and I went in as an aimless, cocky little bastard. StarFleet Academy, and the events which have led up to this point have certainly redirected me in ways I never would've imagined. I wish my father would've lived to see the day I became master of this vessel."

Kirk represses a mild grin, trying to figure out how to convey an unspeakable truth he has been made all to well aware of.

"Perhaps, in another time, that would actually have happened.

"Granted I've only served with one crew in my short time as a stowaway, a crewman, an X.O., and now a captain, but I must say, I could not ask for better than those serving with me now. Many of us were placed together by fate, and I, by urgent necessity, imposed myself into the fold. I couldn't imagine a more bumpy ride to the finality of assembling this superb crew.

"Right now, the Enterprise is in a holding pattern, simply patrolling the edge of Federation space, awaiting our next assignment. With our fleet still engaged in the Laurentian system in our ongoing conflict with the Klingons, I admit I'll not be if we eventually get sent to the front lines. But I would much rather see how this crew fares in less dire missions. Diplomacy? Exploration?

"It is, after all, a big freakin' galaxy."

As Kirk records his captain's log, we see the following:

Spock sits on his knees, with his hands together, all fingers folded over the other, save for his two index fingers which are pointed up and forward. Alone in his quarters, he meditates. He contemplates the future, reviews the past, evaluates the present.

Unfortunately, the events he has been forced to live through do not entirely vanish from his mind. He has lost his homeworld, and his human mother to the machinations of a mad-man from the future. He is among the last of his species. It is something he focuses on only when in solitude. He does not reveal any further thought of it openly.

Dr, Leonard "Bones" McCoy tends to a young female officer who appears to have broken a leg, probably during a rigorous exercise session. Beside McCoy, Nurse Christine Chapel assists, looking at a few readouts while McCoy converses with and assesses the patient, and then proceeds to use a protoplaser to mend the broken bone. The sensation of recovery seems almost instantaneous to the reckless young woman, and she sits up quickly. McCoy puts a gentle hand on her shoulder, apparently advising her to take it easy for the next few days while her break mends.

Lt. Nyota Uhura supervises a group of younger officers and crew who are stationed at the network center of the Enterprise. She oversees one officer who seems to have trouble with a particular communication, and who seems to be mildly frustrated. With a gentle smile, Uhura goes to his side, points at a couple of possibilities on his readout, and pats him on the shoulder encouragingly. He smiles back, apparently refreshed in purpose, and tends back to his task.

Lt. Hikaru Sulu and Ensign Pavel Andreiovich Chekov are at the helm console, discussing course corrections. At one point they almost seem to be in spirited yet friendly debate, but it quickly resolves.

Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott tends to his wee bairns, the pipes, latticeworks, containment systems, and warp core that adorn main engineering. He too checks along with his subordinates. One ensign turns to apparently report a problem somewhere in the upper levels of the engineering section. Scotty claps him on the shoulder, assuring him it's but a wee problem, and then shows that it takes a wee solution. He calls to Keenser, who scrambles deftly to the upper area where the problem: a pressure valve that has somehow started to release without command. Keenser fixes the problem with a spanner, and calls down to Scotty. The young ensign notes the pressure stabilization, and nods appreciatively at the chief engineer, who gives a wink and a thumbs up to Keenser in the upper levels. Keenser seems content where he's at, although he's no longer needed there, so Scotty admonishes the diminuitive alien to "get down!"

Kirk is conversing with the chief of security, the man whom he only calls "cupcake" in jest now, and only rarely. Before, once antagonists with each other, now there is a respect and easy demeanor between the two. Kirk claps him on the arm, and tells him and his detail to carry on. Kirk is then joined by Spock. They exchange greetings as they proceed to the bridge.

"Captain, something puzzles me," Spock begins. "This morning, you said I had a 'mean streak'. I fail to understand the reference."

"Don't let it trouble you, Spock," Jim smiles, "it was indeed a compliment. And besides, I'm slightly silly when I'm still half-awake."

"Then I suppose thanks are in order."

"Well," Kirk smirks, "only if you really wanna."

As they continue, Kirk slows to a halt. Spock turns to face his captain and friend, raising an eyebrow. Jim asks Spock how the Vulcan colonization efforts are proceeding. Spock replies that things seem to be proceeding much more apace than even he had anticipated. Several thousand surviving Vulcans have already been conducting extensive research into the new world, and it appears promising as minor townships have started to replace the pre-fabricated shelters that were placed there initially.

"I do confess, however, that such a new world will be rather empty without the presence of my mother." Spock says with some understatedness.

Kirk looks apologetically at his friend: "I'm sorry, Spock. I didn't mean to take you to a painful subject."

"Pain is a working of the mind, Jim." Spock replies with his usual disaffection. "Pain can be controlled. However, I do find I still have much to learn about reconciling my human and Vulcan halves."

Kirk takes a step toward his friend, and grins: "It seems to me you're doing just fine, my friend. Understand this too. I know you like to hold a lot of stuff in. For a human, that can often be a dangerous thing, depending on the circumstances. Should you feel the need to talk about those things...."

"Vulcans generally do not share such personal matters, especially with-- non-Vulcans."

"I know that, Spock. But....just know that the invitation to do so is always there. That's what friends do." Kirk says, his reassuring grin never wavering.

"I will take that under advisement....my friend." Spock replies.

"By the way, a moment ago you were about to say 'outsiders' weren't you?" Kirk asks with a knowing chuckle.

"I was not." Spock replies.

"Were to." Kirk eggs on.

"I was--considering the measure of my words." Spock counters matter of factly.

The two step through the bridge doors. Uhura announces: "Captain on the bridge."

Kirk stays the crew's response with an "as you were" and proceeds to his seat. He asks for a position report, to which Chekov answers that they have covered five sectors through sector 11534 in the last two hours with nothiing unusual to report. Sulu reports that they are proceeding at warp one, and will arrive in sector 11535 within the next twenty minutes. Kirk nods and orders continued quadrant bi-scans. Spock acknowledges.
-------------------------------------------

more to follow---

Old 01-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

------------------------
McCoy then steps onto the bridge. Kirk nods at his friend, who steps down to the command seat.

"Quiet day at the office, Bones?"

"For a change," McCoy replies. "Nice to be able to treat a simple broken bone, or a sprained ankle, or a case of fever instead of having to set up triages, treat decompression and burn injuries, and write out death certificates."

"Or cure num tug." Kirk says back.

"What?"

"Num tug."

McCoy then rolls his eyes: "Knock it off, Jim. That was an accident and you know it." He then gives a resigned grin.

Kirk hears Uhura quietly call to him from the back of the bridge. He goes to her communications console. She reports that he has an incoming message from Admiral Pike. It's receive only, so it won't be a conversation. He acknowledges and has her enter the decryption codes. As she does so, he takes time to speak with her more personally.

"So, for all my begging and pleading, I never got your first name," he begins quietly, "yet Spock manages to find out?"

Uhura looks up at Kirk with mystery and wide eyes, whispering with an ominous undertone: "He used a mind-meld on me. I couldn't resist."

"He what?!" Kirk says in a rather loud whisper, resisting the urge to look in Spock's direction.

Uhura stifles a laugh: "Relax. I'm just kidding."

"Sooooooo, then.....how did he do it?" Kirk persists. "I thought I was being damned charming back there in Iowa when I begged you for your name."

Uhura's expression goes cold as a Vulcan poker face as she turns back to her console: "I have no comment on the matter."

"Spock's rubbing off on you, Uhura." Kirk assesses, to which Uhura breaks her cold demeanor with an unrepressable laugh, which catches the attention of everyone on the bridge momentarily, including Spock, who, as usual, merely raises an eyebrow. Uhura reports that the transmission is ready for viewing. Kirk taps Uhura's assistant commo officer on the shoulder, telling her to go get a cup of coffee for herself. The assistant acknowledges and clears her seat. Kirk sits down beside Uhura and watches a monitor where the face of Admiral Christopher Pike appears.

"Hello, Jim," Pike begins. "Sorry I couldn't make this a more personable communication, but the Laurentian situation has been occupying a lot of my time. So I'll make this quick and clean. Your mission is two-fold, and almost directed by 'dart-board' mapping. First, the Enterprise is ordered to Starbase Five to pick up an ambassador who will meet with a Romulan delegation at the diplomatic station in the Federation/Romulan neutral zone. No problems are anticipated. One Romulan warship will be posted as counterpoint to the Enterprise's presence...makes sense, to keep the Romulans from getting antsy. This is more an information exchange, not negotiations, so it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. The second part of your mission, after you've returned the ambassador to Starbase Five, is to proceed the Mutara sector. They've recently reported, via encrypted communicae, that the Klingons seem to have been making short probes into that area. Regula I, the space station in that region, is defenseless, and have no combat troops in their company. Basically, the Enterprise will be standing guard duty. I realize this seems like a lot of jumping around, Captain, but--well--the Enterprise is the closest available ship to accomodate this. The ambassador will be expecting you within the next few hours. Send a receipt and acknowledgement of these orders along same encryption protocol. Good luck, Jim. Pike, out."

"Well," Kirk grins, "I did find myself wishing for a diplomatic mission of sorts. Looks like we've got one. Uhura, please send receipt and acknowledgement of orders on that encryption."

"Aye, sir," Uhura replies, and sets to her work.

Kirk then orders Sulu to plot course to Starbase Five. "Engineering....Scotty?"

"Aye, sir?"

"We're goin' to warp four."

After a couple seconds of silence, Scott replies: "Engines are ready, Cap'n."

"Punch it, Mr. Sulu." Kirk orders.

The Enterprise comes about in a wide arc, and then blinks off into the vast distance.

----------------------------------------------
more to follow.....

Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Exciting stuff, was disappointed there wasn't another post with the next part of the story, will be keeping an eye on this thread!

What class of ship you got the Vasquez being? Am curious to imagine more Abrams-esque versions of familiar designs.
Most kind, thank you.

I hadn't really considered ship classes, just yet. They weren't exactly a big deal, even in the first six Star Trek films. We never knew til waaaayyyy later in years that the Reliant was a Miranda-class vessel, or that the Grissom was an Oberth-class ship. Right now, I'm just sticking with ship types... heavy cruisers, battleships, scouts, science vessels, etc.

The only certainty is that that Enterprise is a Constitution-class cruiser.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Commander

Good stuff, can almost see it playing out in my head.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Ensign

I always thought Enterprise was classed as a Heavy battle cruiser at least thats what i remember from Mr Scotts guide to the Enterprise....The script is good and i`m enjoying reading it will their be any more added to it??
Old 01-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbx550bertie View Post
I always thought Enterprise was classed as a Heavy battle cruiser at least thats what i remember from Mr Scotts guide to the Enterprise....The script is good and i`m enjoying reading it will their be any more added to it??
Klingons identified it as a battlecrusier in III. So that makes sense.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Rear Admiral

Warp 4 seems kind of slow to me, unless Starbase 5 is really close.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC_1701A View Post
Klingons identified it as a battlecrusier in III. So that makes sense.
The Enterprise was intitially a "Starship Class" vessel, then this changed to an "Enterprise Class" vessel according to the dedication plague.

The idea of the Enterprise being a "Federation Battle Cruiser" is a colloquial term Klingons would use to describing an armed opposing vessel.