The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > The infamous TOS promotional pamphlet.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2010, 06:29 PM
FanWriter45's Avatar
FanWriter45 FanWriter45 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Posts: 3,051
Default The infamous TOS promotional pamphlet.

We've all heard this story a hundred times: back before NBC first aired "The Man Trap", they sent out a promotional pamphlet detailing the show, except... the execs at the network looked at Mr. Spock and freaked out. So they had someone in the art department do a retouch of the photo, taking out the alien looking ears and eyebrows. A fit is pitched by Harlan Ellison, saying that the execs are cowards. Blah, blah, blah...

My question is this: Has anyone on this board ever actually seen a copy of this peice of promotional lit? Or can we chaulk this one up to one of those "Star Trek Myths" that seem to permeate the Whitfeild book, and just keep getting passed down to the fans?

I'd really, really, like to see a scan of this, just to know it actually existed.
__________________
Number Two: Conform, Number Six! Conform!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM
That Metal Beastie's Avatar
That Metal Beastie That Metal Beastie is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Overhere
Posts: 2,527
Default

Not a myth at all Fanwriter. I've seen this airbrushed photo many times over the years. Including in the book Inside Star Trek by TOS producers Herbert F. Solow and Robert H. Justman, an excellent and informative read and a must for any TOS fan!
__________________
'A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.'

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2010, 10:02 AM
That Metal Beastie's Avatar
That Metal Beastie That Metal Beastie is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Overhere
Posts: 2,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
We've all heard this story a hundred times: back before NBC first aired "The Man Trap", they sent out a promotional pamphlet detailing the show, except... the execs at the network looked at Mr. Spock and freaked out. So they had someone in the art department do a retouch of the photo, taking out the alien looking ears and eyebrows. A fit is pitched by Harlan Ellison, saying that the execs are cowards. Blah, blah, blah...

My question is this: Has anyone on this board ever actually seen a copy of this peice of promotional lit? Or can we chaulk this one up to one of those "Star Trek Myths" that seem to permeate the Whitfeild book, and just keep getting passed down to the fans?

I'd really, really, like to see a scan of this, just to know it actually existed.
Here you go FW http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/tos_4.php seventh photo down.
__________________
'A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.'

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2010, 11:21 AM
shpock's Avatar
shpock shpock is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Here you go FW http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/tos_4.php seventh photo down.

wow!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Roysten's Avatar
Roysten Roysten is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 901
Default

Nice pic, darn them wussy folk at NBC scared to show pointy ears.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
That Metal Beastie's Avatar
That Metal Beastie That Metal Beastie is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Overhere
Posts: 2,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Nice pic, darn them wussy folk at NBC scared to show pointy ears.
Yeah, not as bold and daring as the networks are these days.





Yes, that was sarcasm.
__________________
'A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.'

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Roysten's Avatar
Roysten Roysten is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Yeah, not as bold and daring as the networks are these days.

Yes, that was sarcasm.
lol gathered as much, shame there's not a type of formatting you could apply to text like italics to show sarcasm when it isn't immediately obvious.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 PM
That Metal Beastie's Avatar
That Metal Beastie That Metal Beastie is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Overhere
Posts: 2,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
lol gathered as much, shame there's not a type of formatting you could apply to text like italics to show sarcasm when it isn't immediately obvious.
Hey! Are you being sarcastic? There's no place on this board for that!
__________________
'A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.'

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.