The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Is Star Trek Dead?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

That is so true...the trek we knew is dead.
There is no reason to go back to what it was. This movie made a small fortune. There is no exec that is going to backpedal to the mess Trek was at before no matter how nostalgic we are....

Maybe one day there will be a resurrection...10 15 years from now.

Last edited by Saquist : 01-08-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Ensign

To put Trek up on such a high pedestal only destines it to failure. No one can ever live up to other peoples standards that they set for them and neither can something like Trek.

heck lets all be honest here. Everyone always says this was Genes vision or that was Genes vision. Yet honestly his number one goal always was to make money. The only time he criticized Trek was when he was not directly involved.

If you dont believe that take a look at the feud between him and Nimoy over the blooper reals.

Trek has had some very morally high moments and some very comedic moments and some very high action moments. It is all of those things...not just one of them and they all are not present at all times.

People complained about the Enterprise in TMP people complained about NG People complained about DS9 Voyager and Enterprise. People will always complain because Trek fans are the biggest bunch of unsatisfied holier than thou no it alls of all fandom.
I say this as a huge fan myself. I did my fair share of complaining and what have you with DS9.

Heck get a TOS fan and a NG fan in the same room debating the merits of the two series and they wont agree on anything. (BTW Kirk would kick Picards *** every time )

Like Horatio said. People have called it dead many times yet we always get more Trek so far. Lets hope it keeps it up. If it takes changing some things to bring in more fans to make it profitable for the studios I say good. Because as soon as it is not profitable to the studios it really will be dead.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Commander

Lets see how much Avatar and District-9 will influence STXII.

And eventhough you have a new alternate reality and Paramount will favor Blockbuster movies, you won't be able to deny what Star Trek once stood for absolutely, at the latest when Star Trek returns to television. Fans will make sure that no producer will ever be able to forget Star Trek's roots. I hope as long as Star Trek continues there once will be any producer who will react on these fans.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

You may have a point there.
At least I hope so.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

The movie is closer in tone to TOS than anything that has come since TOS. Trek is very much alive.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Rear Admiral

I think the next Star Trek series will be set in the Prime Universe, but likely a good period of time after VOY. Then again, as the true owner of all things Trek, CBS can dismiss both the Prime and Alternate Universes and start completely over from scratch too.

Star Trek is dead my

One franchise. Multiple incarnations. It happens.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidFan View Post
I still find it funny that so many people cant look pass the glitter to see the underlying story lines that are very much inline with the way Trek movies have always been. So many people look passed the coming of age finding your place and learning your weaknesses and strengths and how new family reduces the one and increases the other.

Anything that does not change is destined to stagnate and die. So the look and flash of Star Trek has changed but the underlying theme has not. Their friendships and how alone they are so much less than they are together.

Well said, RabidFan! The look of the ship may have changed (a little). The SFX may have depected warp speed differently. The movie introduced an alternate time line, but the ESSENCE OF TREK (optimisim, hope, character, self-sacrifice, duty, honor; human weaknessess, human strengths; family...friendship; brain-power over tech-power) is still very much alive and intact in this movie.

We're trying to kill another thread (Why NuTrek Sucks) because it's just a circular argument between the pros and cons, so I won't try to disuade you from your opinion of the movie. In fact, I totally respect it! This reviewer also shares your viewpoint (http://www.homemediamagazine.com/age...became-popular). I just shared my opinion of the State of the Federation because, well, you asked!

Think of it this way: When Paramount Studios approaced Mr. Abrams, it all basically boiled down to this: "We're giving this franchise one last shot, and it's on your shoulders, 'Mr. Felicity.' Either it sinks or swims with you at the helm."

We've got a whole lot of new space-faring adventures headed our way!
(Producers Guild Award: http://blog.taragana.com/e/2010/01/0...ortlist-77199/)

http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/05/08/movies/08trek.html
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
The movie is closer in tone to TOS than anything that has come since TOS. Trek is very much alive.

You said just what I did...Just in a more tidy package!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
So Say We Al----ooops...wrong franchise.

RIGHT ON, Martok!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Commander

Star Trek is not dead. There are many who see this movie, then discover/rediscover TOS.

It's not being further developed, since the new Movie series started, but it isn't dead.

In terms of the original Movies/TV series, the stories have all been told. I look at Old Trek (for the lack of a better term) as Complete.