The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Is Star Trek Dead?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM
JamesTKirk1701's Avatar
JamesTKirk1701 JamesTKirk1701 is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I tell ya - I'm watching the Generations one right now (not kidding) and I'm in stitches!!

But on a more serious note - it's exactly why I just cant let myself get more upset over ST09 than these others.

We've been dealing with this kinda Star Trek movie stupidity for years and years! And I would love to see him do one for the new film - it would probably be awesome!

When I saw Generations for the first time, I saw soran blow up the Enterprise basically and I was like "holy sh-t, I can't f-cking believe they destroyed the Enterprise and the bad guys won". Movies have gone down hill in the last ten years now they'll make anything.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
At least it wasn't as bad as they were expecting....

But returning to seriousness, I wonder if any of this assists in understanding some of the reluctance to single out the new film for particularly special consideration in light of how easy it is to pull apart a Star Trek film? If one really wants to go down such a road.

There are issues (Man, there are lots of them!) when it comes to the way the Trek movies have been put together in recent years and it doesn't excuse them, and it doesn't justify them but there's no reason to pretend they haven't been around for a very long time.

And at the end of the day, there remains something within each of them that somewhere, some Fans can take away a part of and get something out of. Even in the new film - though as ever, mileage varys on that.

It all depends on how someone wants to see them.

I feel sick.
There was stupidity in that movie that I didn't even want to know about and completely missed in the first two viewings.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 01-13-2010, 08:56 AM
I-Am-Zim I-Am-Zim is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA, Earth
Posts: 3,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I feel sick.
There was stupidity in that movie that I didn't even want to know about and completely missed in the first two viewings.
I know what you mean. I'm in the process of dissecting the movie scene by scene (no, I didn't buy it. I actually recieved the single-disc DVD for Christmas) in order to nitpick the ever-lovin' hell out of it. I know Kevin will ask why I don't do that with the other Trek films. My answer to that is that I like the other Trek films. They were "my" Star Trek. I know they all had plot holes and contrivances. But they were enjoyable to me (well...with the possible exception of TFF) because they were, once again, "My" Star Trek. STXI is decidedly not "my" Star Trek. The ad campaign told me so. Seeing the movie proved it. Therefore, since STXI isn't "my" star Trek, I have every right to rip it apart. I could easily do the same to the other 10 movies, but I choose not to. My prerogative. But with STXI it's so damn easy! The plot holes and contrivances are so blatant and obvious, it's a nitpicker's field day! So I intend to have fun with it. When I'm done, maybe I'll start a thread about it. I know that's just asking for trouble, but what the heck? Right?
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 AM
chator's Avatar
chator chator is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I know what you mean. I'm in the process of dissecting the movie scene by scene (no, I didn't buy it. I actually recieved the single-disc DVD for Christmas) in order to nitpick the ever-lovin' hell out of it. I know Kevin will ask why I don't do that with the other Trek films. My answer to that is that I like the other Trek films. They were "my" Star Trek. I know they all had plot holes and contrivances. But they were enjoyable to me (well...with the possible exception of TFF) because they were, once again, "My" Star Trek. STXI is decidedly not "my" Star Trek. The ad campaign told me so. Seeing the movie proved it. Therefore, since STXI isn't "my" star Trek, I have every right to rip it apart. I could easily do the same to the other 10 movies, but I choose not to. My prerogative. But with STXI it's so damn easy! The plot holes and contrivances are so blatant and obvious, it's a nitpicker's field day! So I intend to have fun with it. When I'm done, maybe I'll start a thread about it. I know that's just asking for trouble, but what the heck? Right?
I got a Borders giftcard for Xmas. I went in browsed around for a bit, maybe an hour and the only thing i wanted was Star TrekXI and the G.I. Joe Movie, so i got STXI, so i could see it again, and pick it apart. If i had to buy it, i probably wouldn't have. So i watched it again and had to pause every five minutes to write something down in my notebook, if something struck me as odd, or noteworthy, so i completely know what you are talking about Zim when you say nitpicker's field day.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
That Metal Beastie's Avatar
That Metal Beastie That Metal Beastie is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Overhere
Posts: 2,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I know what you mean. I'm in the process of dissecting the movie scene by scene (no, I didn't buy it. I actually recieved the single-disc DVD for Christmas) in order to nitpick the ever-lovin' hell out of it. I know Kevin will ask why I don't do that with the other Trek films. My answer to that is that I like the other Trek films. They were "my" Star Trek. I know they all had plot holes and contrivances. But they were enjoyable to me (well...with the possible exception of TFF) because they were, once again, "My" Star Trek. STXI is decidedly not "my" Star Trek. The ad campaign told me so. Seeing the movie proved it. Therefore, since STXI isn't "my" star Trek, I have every right to rip it apart. I could easily do the same to the other 10 movies, but I choose not to. My prerogative. But with STXI it's so damn easy! The plot holes and contrivances are so blatant and obvious, it's a nitpicker's field day! So I intend to have fun with it. When I'm done, maybe I'll start a thread about it. I know that's just asking for trouble, but what the heck? Right?
Well at least you admit it. I can appreciate that. There are others on this board who seem to have less insight into their own motivations than you do.
__________________
'A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.'

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I know what you mean. I'm in the process of dissecting the movie scene by scene (no, I didn't buy it. I actually recieved the single-disc DVD for Christmas) in order to nitpick the ever-lovin' hell out of it. I know Kevin will ask why I don't do that with the other Trek films. My answer to that is that I like the other Trek films. They were "my" Star Trek. I know they all had plot holes and contrivances. But they were enjoyable to me (well...with the possible exception of TFF) because they were, once again, "My" Star Trek. STXI is decidedly not "my" Star Trek. The ad campaign told me so. Seeing the movie proved it. Therefore, since STXI isn't "my" star Trek, I have every right to rip it apart. I could easily do the same to the other 10 movies, but I choose not to. My prerogative. But with STXI it's so damn easy! The plot holes and contrivances are so blatant and obvious, it's a nitpicker's field day! So I intend to have fun with it. When I'm done, maybe I'll start a thread about it. I know that's just asking for trouble, but what the heck? Right?
Well, since you brought me specifically into it I would really genuinely say have all the fun you want to taking it apart.

I imagine it won't be that hard to accomplish. I'm sure I could find some of them myself in fact.

However, I think we've established the last few flicks are as abundant when it comes to the joys of nitpicking but at the end of the say I really ultimately have the same basic POV you have. Just from the opposite side of the spectrum.

I enjoy ST09 anyway despite everything those that don't like it say about it. The fact that half the time TOS itself was as shaky when placed under scrutiny is no small part of that. I enjoy all the other films as well the same as you do. Except Nemesis - I shall never apologise for detesting that film - despite the changes brought to the reboot by Abrams and Orci and I'm fine with it as Star Trek.

You're not. Chator's not. Other's are not.

That's fine. That's life.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 01-13-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM
samwiseb samwiseb is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I enjoy all the other films as well the same as you do. Except Nemesis - I shall never apologise for detesting that film.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.