The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Jay Leno moving back?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default Jay Leno moving back?

I find this rather interesting. It hasn't been 100% confirmed, but NBC will not deny it.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/07/jay-le...-tonight-show/
Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Captain

Wow. I have to say that while I enjoyed Jay's monologues in the past, I never really watched him at his 10:00 slot. Conan... I never got into him. I think he's an intelligent comic but I really liked Jay better on the Tonight Show. I do miss Johnny Carson intensely.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Conan is getting screwed big time!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Conan is getting screwed big time!!!
It is weird. His numbers are solid with less than a year on the job and Letterman's only been hanging in there by getting a boost from his stinky finger scandal.

via NBC press release:
CONAN O’BRIEN TIES ‘LATE SHOW’ IN 18-49 RATING AND JIMMY FALLON MATCHES ‘LATE LATE SHOW’ FOR THE WEEK OF DEC. 21-25
CONAN AND JIMMY ALSO TIE FOR #1 FOR THE FOURTH QUARTER OF 2009 IN 18-49 RATING AND CONAN TOPS LETTERMAN FOR THE QUARTER IN 18-49 VIEWERS
IN 18-49 RATING, CONAN HAS FINISHED #1 OR TIED FOR #1 AMONG THE BROADCAST COMPETITION FOR EIGHT OF THE LAST NINE WEEKS, WHILE JIMMY HAS BEEN #1 OR TIED FOR #1 FOR SIX OF SEVEN WEEKS
UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – January 4, 2010 – NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien” and “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” have both tied for #1 among the broadcast networks for the week of December 21-25 in the key late-night demographic of adults 18-49. For the fourth quarter of 2009, “Tonight” has also tied for #1 in its hour with CBS’s “Late Show with David Letterman” in adult 18-49 rating and out-delivered “Late Show” in 18-49 viewers. Jimmy Fallon tied CBS’s “Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson” for the fourth quarter in both 18-49 rating and 18-49 viewers.
In adults 18-34, Conan led convincingly over Letterman and the ABC team of “Nightline” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live” for the quarter, posting a 1.0 rating in 18-34 versus “Late Show’s” 0.7, “Nightline’s” 0.7 and “Kimmel’s” 0.4. Jimmy Fallon also prevailed for the quarter in the valuable 18-34 demo, averaging a 0.6 rating to “Late Late Show’s” 0.4 and “Kimmel’s” 0.4.
For the quarter, “The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien” topped Comedy Central’s 11 p.m. ET series “The Daily Show” in adult 18-49 viewers by a 35 percent margin (1.369 million adults 18-49 vs. 1.017 million) and beat Comedy Central’s 11:30 series “The Colbert Report” by 80 percent (1.369 million vs. 761,000). In total viewers, Conan topped “Daily” for the quarter by 46 percent (2.546 million vs. 1.742 million) and “Colbert” by 112 percent (2.546 million vs. 1.202 million). “Tonight” and “Late Night” also out-delivered Adult Swim and all other cable entertainment networks in their 11:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. hours respectively in 18-49 for the quarter.
Conan finished the quarter having ranked #1 or tied for #1 among broadcast networks in adult 18-49 rating for eight of the last nine weeks, while Jimmy has been #1 or tied for #1 in 18-49 rating for six of the last seven weeks.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm hearing that NBC is offering Conan an 11:05 start or he can walk. According to TMZ, they are actually giving him a choice.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

And that's that, Conan's last show. I hope he comes back with a vengeance on Fox! He really got the shaft on this one.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Federation Councillor

I've been reading about this a little but US shows like that are things we don't really have here.

It seems like Leno goes, has a new show that tanks, wants to come back as a result and so his replacement has to go, even though it's not his fault Leno failed in his move to a different time?

I assume it's more involved than that, of course, but just seems like Leno wants things his way and he's getting it.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Rear Admiral

The real deal:

1. Leno is told by NBC that they're going to give The Tonight Show to O'Brien. This essentially means that Leno is being fired/put out to pasture by the network. Leno accepts NBC's decision and agrees to step aside.

2. Just prior to O'Brien taking over The Tonight Show, NBC suddenly offers Leno a new primetime show. Leno accepts.

3. Ratings plummet for both The Jay Leno Show and The Tonight Show. Local NBC affiliates are ticked off because it means bad ratings for them as well.

4. NBC panicks. They make the decision to push back The Tonight Show by a half-hour and move The Jay Leno show ahead of it.

5. Leno accepts NBC's decision. O'Brien tells NBC to go to hell.

6. O'Brien leaves The Tonight Show with a big multi-million settlement. Leno gets his old gig back.

When all is said and done, it was purely a business and programming decision on NBC's part. O'Brien fans, however, immediately elevated Leno above Osama Bin Laden and launched a vicious internet war against him, attacking him at every opportunity while placing O'Brien just shy of sainthood.

The whole thing is silly, IMO.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:19 AM
Admiral

Oh come on. 'real deal' my a$$.

Basically, Leno was #1. NBC execs want to have Obrien take over the Tonight Show. They push Leno out and give Obrien the show.

He takes it and NBC offer Leno another primetime show. He takes it and ratings suck. The Tonight Show's rating sink, as they did when Leno took over after Carson. It took Leno a full two years to get the Tonight Show back to a shadow of what it was before. Once Leno did so he held that status 'til this day. Then NBC kick him off and bring in Obrien and history repeats itself. 7 months and that's enough. Tonight Show is in the tank so axe Obrien and bring back in Leno.

It's not Leno or Obrien that are the problem. It's NBC, they're frakin' idiots but that's just my opinion. They ruin two great shows.

But you're right Commodore, the whole thing is silly.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 01-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Commander

Very silly it is but I rather watch Coco