The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Next Star Trek movie in 3D, what do you think?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Vice Admiral

Wonder what Trek would be like in 3d

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I would love to see it in 3-D! I seen this movie in the IMAX and just loved it loved it. So I think this next time not only they should do 3-D, but do it on the IMAX screen. I would love to see that.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Rear Admiral

Cameron feels 3D is to 2D what color is to black and white or what the 'talkies' were to silent films. In other words 3D will become the norm, in his considerable opinion.

For me I'd like to see a good Trek film in 3D, sure. But I most want to see a Trek film with a story that's as good as some of the best science fiction I read. 3D or 2D, a great sci-fi story set in the Star Trek universe is something we've not seen on the big screen. The closest we've come is Wrath of Kahn.

The perfect Trek film, for me, would something like a combination of TWOK, 2001, Blade Runner and Avatar! Is that asking too much? Yeah, it seems it is.

And friends, for all its wonders, Avatar's story IS its weakest facet. Nothing new there and the script WAS dumded down from earlier versions to make it more accessable to a broader audience. Sheesh! Some people will do anything to get their films to make a billion dollars!

But, again, I'll take a 3D Trek as long as it doesn't mean any less of a story and doesn't push the release date back any further.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Cameron feels 3D is to 2D what color is to black and white or what the 'talkies' were to silent films. In other words 3D will become the norm, in his considerable opinion.

For me I'd like to see a good Trek film in 3D, sure. But I most want to see a Trek film with a story that's as good as some of the best science fiction I read. 3D or 2D, a great sci-fi story set in the Star Trek universe is something we've not seen on the big screen. The closest we've come is Wrath of Kahn.

The perfect Trek film, for me, would something like a combination of TWOK, 2001, Blade Runner and Avatar! Is that asking too much? Yeah, it seems it is.

And friends, for all its wonders, Avatar's story IS its weakest facet. Nothing new there and the script WAS dumded down from earlier versions to make it more accessable to a broader audience. Sheesh! Some people will do anything to get their films to make a billion dollars!

But, again, I'll take a 3D Trek as long as it doesn't mean any less of a story and doesn't push the release date back any further.
Yes, it's been around 12 years since I've seen as good of a Trek Movie as I have read. With Film you're using someone else's imagination while with a book you are using much of your own to visualize the events...

But it's the story that takes you there.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
With Film you're using someone else's imagination while with a book you are using much of your own to visualize the events...

But it's the story that takes you there.
Agreeing wholeheartedly!

I pray one day we'll get a Trek film that's a fully blooming plant (great story, great sci-fi concepts, great visuals and great Trek) and I believe that's going to happen eventually, as Star Trek has proven to be an endearing and resonating concept. I just hope it happens in my lifetime. I want it for my son and his kids but I selfishly want it even more for me. Been waiting since the sixties.
Till then I'm glad the new film has breathed new life into the franchise. I think I'll watch it again tonight.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Oh, no argument - it was actually a pretty familiar story.

My own slight aspect on that is in a sense Cameron was aiming for an 'Epic' - and if we look at Hollywood Epics as a genre they usually have a simple story to allow for the magnitude of the events around that to come to the fore.

Gone With the Wind, Dr Zhivago, Titanic, Australia and many others have an - well, I'll say easy central story - that the rest of the spectacle is built around.

In that sense Cameron's Epic is just following it's predecessors.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Lieutenant

Avatar succeeded with the 3D because they didn't get gimicky with the effects. I have seen some horrible horror films in 3D where eyeballs fly out of heads and axes and arrows fly at your face, which are very flimsy and cheap ways to entertain. Avatar's 3D effects were very tasteful and realistic, even though the story was Dances with Wolves on another planet. I thought the story was ok even though it has been done before. Having it set on another world buffered the used story problem somewhat. It was definitely a feast for the eyes.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

The 3D made it a true experience but I was astonished at the rawness of the story...It seemed primal.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The 3D made it a true experience but I was astonished at the rawness of the story...It seemed primal.
Good point--in some ways that really appealed to me.

Last edited by Digginonrand : 01-08-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Commander

It was also about as one-dimentional in character as it gets, and about as subtle as a brick with the "allegories" it had in terms of politics.