The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Next Star Trek movie in 3D, what do you think?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 AM
starwarsrcks's Avatar
starwarsrcks starwarsrcks is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,062
Default

Wonder what Trek would be like in 3d
__________________



Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Kirk And Spock #1 Fan's Avatar
Kirk And Spock #1 Fan Kirk And Spock #1 Fan is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 115
Default

I would love to see it in 3-D! I seen this movie in the IMAX and just loved it loved it. So I think this next time not only they should do 3-D, but do it on the IMAX screen. I would love to see that.
__________________
"Out of the chair"-Spock
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 AM
That Metal Beastie's Avatar
That Metal Beastie That Metal Beastie is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Overhere
Posts: 2,527
Default

Cameron feels 3D is to 2D what color is to black and white or what the 'talkies' were to silent films. In other words 3D will become the norm, in his considerable opinion.

For me I'd like to see a good Trek film in 3D, sure. But I most want to see a Trek film with a story that's as good as some of the best science fiction I read. 3D or 2D, a great sci-fi story set in the Star Trek universe is something we've not seen on the big screen. The closest we've come is Wrath of Kahn.

The perfect Trek film, for me, would something like a combination of TWOK, 2001, Blade Runner and Avatar! Is that asking too much? Yeah, it seems it is.

And friends, for all its wonders, Avatar's story IS its weakest facet. Nothing new there and the script WAS dumded down from earlier versions to make it more accessable to a broader audience. Sheesh! Some people will do anything to get their films to make a billion dollars!

But, again, I'll take a 3D Trek as long as it doesn't mean any less of a story and doesn't push the release date back any further.
__________________
'A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.'

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Cameron feels 3D is to 2D what color is to black and white or what the 'talkies' were to silent films. In other words 3D will become the norm, in his considerable opinion.

For me I'd like to see a good Trek film in 3D, sure. But I most want to see a Trek film with a story that's as good as some of the best science fiction I read. 3D or 2D, a great sci-fi story set in the Star Trek universe is something we've not seen on the big screen. The closest we've come is Wrath of Kahn.

The perfect Trek film, for me, would something like a combination of TWOK, 2001, Blade Runner and Avatar! Is that asking too much? Yeah, it seems it is.

And friends, for all its wonders, Avatar's story IS its weakest facet. Nothing new there and the script WAS dumded down from earlier versions to make it more accessable to a broader audience. Sheesh! Some people will do anything to get their films to make a billion dollars!

But, again, I'll take a 3D Trek as long as it doesn't mean any less of a story and doesn't push the release date back any further.
Yes, it's been around 12 years since I've seen as good of a Trek Movie as I have read. With Film you're using someone else's imagination while with a book you are using much of your own to visualize the events...

But it's the story that takes you there.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 AM
That Metal Beastie's Avatar
That Metal Beastie That Metal Beastie is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Overhere
Posts: 2,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
With Film you're using someone else's imagination while with a book you are using much of your own to visualize the events...

But it's the story that takes you there.
Agreeing wholeheartedly!

I pray one day we'll get a Trek film that's a fully blooming plant (great story, great sci-fi concepts, great visuals and great Trek) and I believe that's going to happen eventually, as Star Trek has proven to be an endearing and resonating concept. I just hope it happens in my lifetime. I want it for my son and his kids but I selfishly want it even more for me. Been waiting since the sixties.
Till then I'm glad the new film has breathed new life into the franchise. I think I'll watch it again tonight.
__________________
'A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.'

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
And friends, for all its wonders, Avatar's story IS its weakest facet. Nothing new there and the script WAS dumded down from earlier versions to make it more accessable to a broader audience. Sheesh! Some people will do anything to get their films to make a billion dollars!
Oh, no argument - it was actually a pretty familiar story.

My own slight aspect on that is in a sense Cameron was aiming for an 'Epic' - and if we look at Hollywood Epics as a genre they usually have a simple story to allow for the magnitude of the events around that to come to the fore.

Gone With the Wind, Dr Zhivago, Titanic, Australia and many others have an - well, I'll say easy central story - that the rest of the spectacle is built around.

In that sense Cameron's Epic is just following it's predecessors.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Digginonrand's Avatar
Digginonrand Digginonrand is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 257
Default

Avatar succeeded with the 3D because they didn't get gimicky with the effects. I have seen some horrible horror films in 3D where eyeballs fly out of heads and axes and arrows fly at your face, which are very flimsy and cheap ways to entertain. Avatar's 3D effects were very tasteful and realistic, even though the story was Dances with Wolves on another planet. I thought the story was ok even though it has been done before. Having it set on another world buffered the used story problem somewhat. It was definitely a feast for the eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

The 3D made it a true experience but I was astonished at the rawness of the story...It seemed primal.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Digginonrand's Avatar
Digginonrand Digginonrand is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The 3D made it a true experience but I was astonished at the rawness of the story...It seemed primal.
Good point--in some ways that really appealed to me.

Last edited by Digginonrand : 01-08-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
OneBuckFilms OneBuckFilms is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 909
Default

It was also about as one-dimentional in character as it gets, and about as subtle as a brick with the "allegories" it had in terms of politics.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.