The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Next Star Trek movie in 3D, what do you think?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Ensign

Default Next Star Trek movie in 3D, what do you think?

Yeah, just throwing it out there. I saw Avatar 3D today and it got me thinking, "Hey, what if they did Star Trek in 3D?".

It seems movies like Alice in Wonderland are going 3D as well. (and I'm sure many movies will follow suit)
Personally, I think it would be awesome IF it was in 3D.

Spock in 3D would be <3.

sorry if there are other threads like this...i looked but none came up? oh well!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:49 AM
Federation Councillor

There might be a very old rattling about IIRC but don't worry!

I think if was Avatar style then I would be fine with the idea of 3D in Trek, it seems to be gathering pace with studios so if they wanted to try it out to add to the visuals then let them try it.

I'm not totally sold on 3D completely, but Avatar did make me reconsider it in terms of Star Trek.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Captain

I agree, Kevin. I'd even go further and say "Avatar" (am I the only dope in the world that has not seen the movie?) and it's subject matter and production values, is a very nice fit in Trekdom. It just needs a studio (ahem, Paramount?) to have faith in the producer, writer(s), and director and invesst in the production/tech to make it a reality! I'm hearing many who have seen it in 3D describe it as "visiting a brand new world." How Trek is that!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah Avatar was everything Trek Should have been.

I've always imagine Star Trek Worlds to be wondrous places with plants and animals of kinds we've never seen before. On TV they' are just Earth's everytime you land on them. Star Wars has done a better job visualizing them.

While Trek has the background to make this film incredible in 3D...Abrams has ruined my trust in Trek after 5 film of crap, they just keep shoveling it at us and Fans keep gobbling it down.

I would never pay 16.75 to see what he put on film. NEVER.
Avatar was complete delight and I'm now a believer in James Cameron

Old 01-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post

I've always imagine Star Trek Worlds to be wondrous places with plants and animals of kinds we've never seen before. On TV they' are just Earth's everytime you land on them. Star Wars has done a better job visualizing them.

While Trek has the background to make this film incredible in 3D...Abrams has ruined my trust in Trek after 5 film of crap, they just keep shoveling it at us and Fans keep gobbling it down.

I would never pay 16.75 to see what he put on film. NEVER.
Avatar was complete delight and I'm now a believer in James Cameron
5 films of crap? Generations...so-so First Contact...nope. Insurrection...yep. Nemesis...yep. STXI....nope.

3 films of crap!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Have mixed feelings on this

Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Lieutenant

It'd be great if they did it right.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:32 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post

That's a good point actually, Star Trek worlds have always been quite a disappointment when seen. The best effort I thought was Vulcan as portrayed in ENT, it wasn't as visually striking in Trek09 as I thought it was going to be, and for once budget wasn't an issue.

As for doing a film in 3D, done well I think it could add a lot to it getting an audience really enveloped in the action. If I try to imagine it I can see space debris say from the battle over Vulcan streaming past or seeing the transporter effect all around you when it's happening from the characters perspective.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Commander

I have to say, I think for the next movie, Avatar shows how an alien world can be developed where the Science works, and the world is "strange and new".

I would LOVE to see a story where Kirk and crew encounter a world that is as well realized.

Star Trek could be 3D, or it could be standard. But it really should take world-building lessons from James Cameron.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Federation Councillor

I think that a lot of films will ultimately use what Cameron has created with his technology to this kind of effect in films and franchises where a director wants to create a similar effect.

But then it's worth bearing in mind (and I should preface this by saying I am both an Avatar and Cameron fan) that the story of the film itself is one that has been done before and there is nothing innovative about's it's story or it's characters and the dialgue has it's iffy moments.

None of this remotely ruins the overall effect of the film, 'tried and tested' is an oft-quoted phrase for a reason - but the innovation of Avatar comes more from it's technological advancements than it's storytelling ones.

Whatever the story of a future film may be, certainly this tech could be used to take us to a truly never before realised in Star Trek style world.

courtesy of Saquist