The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > ST:XI warp drive FX
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

I 'm not familar with phaszinating.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I'd go with the ship stretching like in TNG.

It makes some sense physically. If the ship goes from sublight to superlight velocity the light moving from the ship to an observer would yield an elongated image.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

but it may not make sense with the TOS accerlation.
The Galaxy was much quicker.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
. . . I have an effect in my head that is almost impossible to explain, but I will try. . . . :

When the warp field gets activated it would start to warp arround the ship. Lets say it starts at its front and builds a sphere all around towards the ships aft-side until the warpfield is a bowl. During this process the light gets bended and we would see how the ships front sides become visible, then starboard and port and upper side and lower side, but all together. It would look really weird and strange. Finally the ship would be gone. . . .
What you're describing sounds exactly like the FTL jump effect from the new Battlestar Galactica.

Here is a clip of a battle sequence that begins with an enemy ship jumping in and ends with the hero ship jumping out.

Here is a clip, the first half of which shows several ships jumping out, followed by a (failed) attempt by a fan to duplicate the effect with a simple lens flare.

For the sake of storytelling, however, I like to think of breaking the light barrier (warp drive) in terms of breaking the sound barrier.

Watching an airplane depart, one would just hear the engines recede into the distance, and perhaps a very faint pop, if it breached the sound barrier quickly enough. As the plane travels faster than the speed of sound, sound waves pack up against the plane itself and when it passes a stationary observer, first a sonic boom is heard, followed by the sound of the plane receding in both directions. Likewise, when the plane decelerates and lands, an observer would hear the boom, followed by the plane's faint approach prior to crossing the sound barrier at the same time as the sound of the plane from its current location.

I would think a warp effect would be very similar. . . .

When a ship departs and goes to warp, the ship would disappear in a streak of residual light (a-la Trek 6, without the stretching), and the observer would see a "photic boom" (to coin a phrase) similar to the one at the end of the TNG or Enterprise credits.

When a ship passes at warp by a stationery observer, the observer would see a near-blinding photic boom, accompanied by the ship zoom away from the closest point where it passes, followed by streaks receding back to where the ship originated.

Upon approach and deceleration, one would see the same as the previous effect, however the photic boom would occur at the point where the ship dropped from warp, followed by the streaks receding backwards to the ship's point of origin.

Whaddya' think?

Last edited by AJBlue98 : 03-12-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Rear Admiral

Maybe they'll go for something simple.

Perhaps the nacelles only glow when the ship is at warp, and when it does so, it simply zips forward really fast in a blur like it did during TOS...
Old 03-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Personally I like the "stretching" effect and the "streaking stars" from TNG.

Very simple, yet effective.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

I got really tired of the TNG warp effect and think the look was done to death over several series.

I wasn't much of a fan with the color stripes in TMP either, but that was fairly consistent with that decade's effects work.

Something similar to TOS would be fine, or something new too. I'd prefer it not be some spectacular "light show" just for effects' sake. Also, I'd rather see the effect from inside the ship, not as a bystander floating in space, because that's the most convincing way to depict the speed/warping being achieved. Well, unless the camera follows along. Watching a starship blink away in a flash just leaves the audience behind.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Lieutenant

I vote for the ST VI warp effects - the TMP-style rainbow effect from a fixed camera, and a combination rainbow-and-streaked-stars when the camera's moving at warp speed with the ship. I thought it looked really good.

Second would be the ENT-style sort of blurry jump to warp, 3rd the TNG-DS9-VOY rubber-band, tied for last place are TOS and Nemesis'.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Maybe they'll go for something simple.

Perhaps the nacelles only glow when the ship is at warp, and when it does so, it simply zips forward really fast in a blur like it did during TOS...
I like that....
good call.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Ensign

Default Like all of the responses...

Now that I think about it, I'd kinda like to see a warp jump similiar to something I saw on Youtube,(I think it was ST: New Frontiers/New Voyages or something), where you see a constitution class starship leave space/drydock slowly, then you see the ship breaking orbit,(at "impulse" I'm assuming), then, suddenly, in a split seconds time you see the Earth and moon RECEDE away into nothingness in your rearview- now THAT'S what I'd like to see!!