The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Captain Pike: Divert Auxillery Power from Port Nacelle to forward Shields.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I'm glad somebody agrees with me. It's tough being the "odd man out", so to speak. But the "polarization" of the viewindow was probably a little different from the hull plating in ENT. In this case, the Kelvin was near a star, so they polarized the viewindow in a similar way to the way sunglasses are polarized today. That was my interpretation anyway.
You'll never hear J.J. order, "polarize the camera lens!"
Old 12-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin
You can do that to any of the movies, why in Wrath of Khan does Kirk allow the Reliant to get that close to Enterprise considering the vastness of space? Why would you allow any ship to get that close?
Because "we're one big, happy fleet."
Exactly. Reliant had already identified itself via its transponder as being a friendly, and one doesn't automatically fire a warning shot over the bow of your fellow Federation starship without just cause. But when Reliant wasn't responding to Enterprise's hails, Kirk realized right away something wasn't right.

Who woulda thought the ship had been hijacked by a 20th-Century genetically-engineered superman Kirk hadn't seen or heard from in 15 years bent on seeking revenge?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Right. It's J.J. Trek. Pick and choose what you like at random and hope the fan base agrees. No regard for consistency or continuity.
Which is in best Star Trek tradition I have to add.
There is no other show that pissed so much on continuity from the get go.
Seems Roddenberry had some fun contradicting something established at every opportunity just for the sake of it.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Exactly. Reliant had already identified itself via its transponder as being a friendly, and one doesn't automatically fire a warning shot over the bow of your fellow Federation starship without just cause. But when Reliant wasn't responding to Enterprise's hails, Kirk realized right away something wasn't right.

Who woulda thought the ship had been hijacked by a 20th-Century genetically-engineered superman Kirk hadn't seen or heard from in 15 years bent on seeking revenge?
For safety reasons, you wouldn't let a ship controlled by a friendly commander get that close without a specific reason. They would have seen that ship coming from standoff distance. You'd never let it just come off your bow like that. There is no reason to do so. You accept it because it's in a film that you like.

It has nothing to do with them not knowing it's actually an enemy in control of the ship. It makes no sense regardless who is in command of the ship.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek
Which is in best Star Trek tradition I have to add.
There is no other show that pissed so much on continuity from the get go.
Seems Roddenberry had some fun contradicting something established at every opportunity just for the sake of it.
That's actually a myth. In early episodes of TOS, they were still figuring things out so a few things were changed as they went along--both Starfleet and the Federation didn't become finalized as organizations until several episodes in--but things stayed fairly consistent afterwards.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
That's actually a myth. In early episodes of TOS, they were still figuring things out so a few things were changed as they went along--both Starfleet and the Federation didn't become finalized as organizations until several episodes in--but things stayed fairly consistent afterwards.
TNG contradicted nearly everything that happend in TOS.
TMP contradicted TOS. TWOK contradicted TMP etc.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Right. It's J.J. Trek. Pick and choose what you like at random and hope the fan base agrees. No regard for consistency or continuity.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
That is what a reboot is.
And it is still beyond my ability to understand why so many so-called "Star Trek Fans" are perfectly okay with this.

Quote:
You'll never hear J.J. order, "polarize the camera lens!"

Quote:
That is my understanding as well.

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 12-29-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
TNG contradicted nearly everything that happend in TOS.
How? When? What? Sure, there were a few contradictions. But that is to be expected with a franchise that had been around that long. But for the most part, TNG reinforced TOS. Especially with episodes like "Relics".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
TMP contradicted TOS. TWOK contradicted TMP etc.
How? It took place several years after TOS. Things had changed. Kirk was an Admiral. What, specifically did it contradict?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Going back to the instance where we saw weapons crew loading something into the "gatling" styled weapons banks, one could almost assume that they were loading a "close-in" defense system, similar to what the Kelvin had....although I don't think we saw the Enterprise firing CIWS. She pretty much just used her phasers.

If those were photon torpedoes, man, were they tiny.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

The franchise needed a reboot. This movie only got made because it was a reboot. Star Trek would be dead now if it wasn't made.