The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Captain Pike: Divert Auxillery Power from Port Nacelle to forward Shields.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Lieutenant

Default Captain Pike: Divert Auxillery Power from Port Nacelle to forward Shields.

When they approach the Narada for the first time Spock says "Captain their locking weapons" and then Pike says "Divert Auxillery Power from Port Nacelle to Foward Shields" and then we see the Enterprise turn its broadside to the torpedoes causing a torpedo strike the neck killing the staff in sickbay. Then after Sulu says they cant take another hit Pike says "Prepare to fire all weapons.......All Power to Forward Shields" then we see the redshirts shoving what I presume is torpedoes into shafts opposite of each other (that didn't make sense, Where were these ports located on the ship?) and then shutting the doors. Then Pike finally turns to face the Narada head on. Why didn't he just order shields to the port side of the ship if he was going to turn his broadside to the incoming torpedoes so they could protect the side of the ship. I think he made a mistake. Do you? Also why were those torpedo tubes opposite of one another? Its like the tubes were pointed east and west.

Last edited by Captain Pike : 12-29-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

I watched it the other day and remember thinking that it was odd that he ordered Power to forward shields and then the ship got hit in the neck. I'll have to watch that scene again. It may have been more a flaw in editing than in story.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Vice Admiral

The whole movie doesn't make sense. McCoy told Spock that Dr. Purri (sp?) was dead because he was on deck 6. I assume that he meant he was killed when the torpedo hit. That would mean that deck 6 was in the neck of the ship. That make no sense. The "six shooter" torpedo launcher thingies??? I have no frakkin idea what that was supposed to mean. Were the torpedoes that small?? I have completely given up trying to make any sense out of anything in this movie. Compared to TOS and the rest of Star Trek, it's completely out in left field somewhere.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

You can do that to any of the movies, why in Wrath of Khan does Kirk allow the Reliant to get that close to Enterprise considering the vastness of space? Why would you allow any ship to get that close?

Old 12-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Commander

What about in the introductory scene when Captain Robau orders the viewscreen polarized? That made me think of ENTERPRISE when Captain Archer regularly ordered the hull plating polarized, their version of shields. Why does the viewscreen need polarization? What about the biomedical imaging of Captain Robau on the KELVIN's bridge, while he is on the Narada? What device on him is transmitting that data? The transporter lock? I don't even think transporters are mentioned in that opening scene, presumably, they have yet to be invented. Has some technology been invented in Robau's time that supersceeds the use of tricorders? I agree with Zim, the whole movie doesn't make sense, from the plot to the minor details. Roberto Orci may have been a Trekker, but his grasp of Trek tech is rather flimsy, IMO.

Last edited by chator : 12-29-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

The polarazation has something to do with the fact that the viewscreen is also the window, which is just a different interpretation of the technology. These changes are because the film is a re-imaging of what has come before. They changed a lot of how the technolgy functions, for instance a greater emphasis on the skill of the person using the transporters. It's a reboot, it's not meant to be a duplicate of what has come before.

Basically, these things are not "flaws", they are changes. It's up to the individual to decide whether or not they like the changes.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
You can do that to any of the movies, why in Wrath of Khan does Kirk allow the Reliant to get that close to Enterprise considering the vastness of space? Why would you allow any ship to get that close?
Because "we're one big, happy fleet."
Old 12-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
What about in the introductory scene when Captain Robau orders the viewscreen polarized? That made me think of ENTERPRISE when Captain Archer regularly ordered the hull plating polarized, their version of shields. Why does the viewscreen need polarization? What about the biomedical imaging of Captain Robau on the KELVIN's bridge, while he is on the Narada? What device on him is transmitting that data? The transporter lock? I don't even think transporters are mentioned in that opening scene, presumably, they have yet to be invented. Has some technology been invented in Robau's time that supersceeds the use of tricorders? I agree with Zim, the whole movie doesn't make sense, from the plot to the minor details. Roberto Orci may have been a Trekker, but his grasp of Trek tech is rather flimsy, IMO.
I'm glad somebody agrees with me. It's tough being the "odd man out", so to speak. But the "polarization" of the viewindow was probably a little different from the hull plating in ENT. In this case, the Kelvin was near a star, so they polarized the viewindow in a similar way to the way sunglasses are polarized today. That was my interpretation anyway. But there are many, many other instances in this film that simply don't make any sense and completely defy logic. If I had time, I would go into more detail. And I agree that the writers, trekkers or no, had a very poor grasp of Star Trek in general. The re-interpretation went waaaaaaay too far in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
The polarazation has something to do with the fact that the viewscreen is also the window, which is just a different interpretation of the technology. These changes are because the film is a re-imaging of what has come before. They changed a lot of how the technolgy functions, for instance a greater emphasis on the skill of the person using the transporters. It's a reboot, it's not meant to be a duplicate of what has come before.

Basically, these things are not "flaws", they are changes. It's up to the individual to decide whether or not they like the changes.
Right. It's J.J. Trek. Pick and choose what you like at random and hope the fan base agrees. No regard for consistency or continuity.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

That is what a reboot is.