The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Most Annoying Person of 2009
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Not necessarily. But he shouldn't set himself up as an expert on religion. I don't write books on quantum physics and pass myself off as an expert on that.
Please show me where Dawkins states he is an expert on religion.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Admiral

On the front cover of his book. His book is entitled The God Delusion.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Commander

Quote:
On the front cover of his book. His book is entitled The God Delusion.
That only states that he believes God is a delusion not that he is an expert on religion. Please show me where Dawkins claims to be an expert of religion.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Admiral

I didn't say he claims to be an expert on religion. I said he sets himself up as an expert. It is inferred by the title of his book. He uses science to make philosophical arguments and by using science he may confuse people into thinking he is right.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Commander

Quote:
I didn't say he claims to be an expert on religion. I said he sets himself up as an expert. It is inferred by the title of his book. He uses science to make philosophical arguments and by using science he may confuse people into thinking he is right.
So what you are saying is only experts on religion can debate if God exists or not? Who are these qualified experts? I thought you either believe in God or you don't. What qualifications do you need then to believe in God? Believing in God and being religious are two separate things are they not?
Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Vice Admiral

Now now everyone. Cant we all just get along?

Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
So what you are saying is only experts on religion can debate if God exists or not? Who are these qualified experts? I thought you either believe in God or you don't. What qualifications do you need then to believe in God? Believing in God and being religious are two separate things are they not?
I'd better start writing that book on quantum physics since it seems that anyone can write a book on anything and be believed. You are deliberately twisting my words as nowhere have I said you have to be an expert to believe in God nor to debate his existence. I am saying that Dawkins is NOT a theologian or a philosopher and therefore his book is as useful in the debate over God's existence as my book on Quantum physics will be for science students.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:29 AM
Commander

Quote:
I'd better start writing that book on quantum physics since it seems that anyone can write a book on anything and be believed.
You're right anyone can write a book on anything whether it gets published or not is another story but if it does it is up to the reader to decide if he or she believes the authors claims or not. You go right ahead and write your book on quantum physics but I encourage you to do your research because a group of quantum physicists will be able to provide evidence for the claims you make in that book and that evidence will either prove or disprove your claims. There are many people out there despite all the books that have been written and evidence presented for evolution that refuse to believe it. No one can make those individuals believe or not but the evidence is there for all to see.

Quote:
You are deliberately twisting my words as nowhere have I said you have to be an expert to believe in God nor to debate his existence.
I'm not twisting your words. You just stated you have to be a theologian or a philosopher to debate if God exists or not right here:

Quote:
I am saying that Dawkins is NOT a theologian or a philosopher and therefore his book is as useful in the debate over God's existence as my book on Quantum physics will be for science students.
Dawkins doesn't claim to be a theologian or a philosopher. Dawkins book "The God Delusion" states why Dawkins believes God most likely doesn't exist. Can a theologian or philosopher prove or disprove Dawkins claim? Because no one can prove if God exists or not anyone can debate whether he/she/it exists and it is up to each individual to decide what they believe.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
You're right anyone can write a book on anything whether it gets published or not is another story but if it does it is up to the reader to decide if he or she believes the authors claims or not. You go right ahead and write your book on quantum physics but I encourage to do your research because a group of quantum physicists will be able to provide evidence for the claims you make in that book and that evidence will either prove or disprove your claims. There are many people out there despite all the books that have been written and evidence presented for evolution that refuse to believe it. No one can make those individuals believe or not but the evidence is there for all to see.
I'm just doing the same thing with Dawkins books. I have shown you how his position is illogical. A fundamental skill in arguing philosophical topics is logic and Dawkins has poor logic. I'm just stating that philosophically, his argument doesn't make sense. In the same way a scientist could disprove any theory I come up with in quantum physics

Quote:
not twisting your words. You just stated you have to be a theologian or a philosopher to debate if God exists or not right here:
I didn't say that. I said in order to be taken seriously you have to be a philosopher or a theologian to write a book about theology/ philosophy or else expect to be criticised. The same goes for Science, Arts, technology or really anything that someone wants to write a book about.

Quote:
Dawkins doesn't claim to be a theologian or a philosopher. Dawkins book "The God Delusion" states why Dawkins believes God most likely doesn't exist. Can a theologian or philosopher prove or disprove Dawkins claim? Because no one can prove if God exists or not anyone can debate whether he/she/it exists and it is up to each individual to decide what they believe.
No, a theologian can't prove that God exists but he can't PROVE that God doesn't exist. He is merely hypothesising and wrapping it up in science to make it more believable. He is doing the same thing that Creationists do with the Bible and sometimes do with Science too. Neither is a logical position. It comes down to faith and faith is illogical. Dawkins has faith and therefore he is as illogical in that respect as I am. The only difference is that I am willing to admit my belief in God has no grounding in science.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post

Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem.
And we must bash ourselves on the head every time we sing this line.