The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Most Annoying Person of 2009
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Indeed. The simple question "why is something and not nothing?" cannot be answered. Physics doesn't tell us anything about the before-time and religions don't tell us much about the motives of God to create a world.
Exactly, these are all things that are beyond us right now. And it's not a bad thing, the beginning of all discovery begins with "I don't know".

Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Talking of religious nuts.... My first nomination for most annoying person of 2010 is Stephen Baldwin who is currently residing in the Celebrity Big Brother house in the UK. He's doing my head in by constantly going on about his religion. And he didn't know who Stephanie Beacham was

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Exactly, these are all things that are beyond us right now. And it's not a bad thing, the beginning of all discovery begins with "I don't know".
Yeah, like waking up in the morning and realizing "I don't know anything about the last night anymore".
Old 01-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

Dude, where's my car?!

Old 01-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Captain

"What's your name?"
Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

"It's a fine line between clever and stupid."

Old 01-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Captain

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Einstein
Old 01-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I believe it is people that cause the problems, not the religions . Not one of the 6 main religions of the world advocate violence towards other human beings. Yes there may be rules about capital punishment but that's a moral dilemma that more than just people of faith have to grapple with. If these religious nuts did not have a religion to latch onto they would find some other philosophy/ ideology/ political viewpoint to grab hold of and find an outlet for their nuttiness. In the same way that addicts often replace one addiction with another. Religious nuts are just obsessive about something - it could just as easily be Star Trek that they were obsessive about

You can live a good life without religion. This is true but you can also live a good life with religion. Dawkins arguments don;t stack up. Because there are some people who do not understand their own religion or tweak it to suit their own sick agenda, doesn't negate the existence of God. Until Dawkins can show me proof that God doesn't exist through a telescope, under a microscope or in a Petrie dish, I'll carry on believing in God. And I am much better qualified than he is to make come to that conclusion as I have a degree in Theology. I'll bow to his superior knowledge in the department of genetics.
Obviously people cause the problems but they also created religion and they also teach it. It's hard to question things when you're told either you have faith or you don't. The Bible is filled with contradictions to start out with. If we look to science for the origins of the universe then Genesis appears to be fiction. Beyond that I never understood how people can believe the Pope has some sort of link to God. He is some dude that gets voted in to power by a bunch of other dudes in the Vatican not unlike any other politician except it would be like the Senate voting for the President not the people so why is he special? The guy has a lot of influence over the followers of the Catholic faith. His church takes the stance that condoms should not be used that abstinence is the best solution. This is the same church that doesn't allow their preachers to get married and then we keep hearing about another Catholic priest molesting another child. I'm no scientist but perhaps forcing someone in to abstinence and these children being molested maybe linked? I'm a soccer fan and I remember during Ramadan two of the Muslim players on my home team that I support Toronto FC would not drink water until after sun down because they were fasting. Now I'm sorry but no doctor would tell those two "It's a good idea for you to go out and play a game of soccer for 90 minutes and not hydrate" but if the coach would not allow them to play in the game and forced them to sit on the bench he would be the asshole. So he let them play but limited their playing time. I personally think to many religious people blindly follow what they are taught and don't question it because it's a matter of faith, you either believe or you don't and if you don't you're going to hell. I personally think their are a lot of problems with religion and the God described in the Bible has many flaws. If there is a God I hope he/she/it is a lot more reasonable then the one in the book. I also wish more religious people would listen to what Father Coyne's has to say because I think the guy has the right balance of faith and reason.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Einstein
Touche'!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeway72
I believe it is people that cause the problems, not the religions . Not one of the 6 main religions of the world advocate violence towards other human beings. Yes there may be rules about capital punishment but that's a moral dilemma that more than just people of faith have to grapple with. If these religious nuts did not have a religion to latch onto they would find some other philosophy/ ideology/ political viewpoint to grab hold of and find an outlet for their nuttiness. In the same way that addicts often replace one addiction with another. Religious nuts are just obsessive about something - it could just as easily be Star Trek that they were obsessive about

You can live a good life without religion. This is true but you can also live a good life with religion. Dawkins arguments don;t stack up. Because there are some people who do not understand their own religion or tweak it to suit their own sick agenda, doesn't negate the existence of God. Until Dawkins can show me proof that God doesn't exist through a telescope, under a microscope or in a Petrie dish, I'll carry on believing in God. And I am much better qualified than he is to make come to that conclusion as I have a degree in Theology. I'll bow to his superior knowledge in the department of genetics.
Well told!!!!