The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Characters you really DO NOT want to see, but fear you will....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

I actually never thought about it...but it sounds like you don't want the movie to happen...secretly I feel similarly.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Ensign

Its a backwards step
Old 03-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

YEAH!!I feel the very same way. I rally want trek to move forward. I'm all for nostalgia but I just think this is the time to do something that will excite trek fans about it's future.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Admiral

Trek is about moving forward, but it's not, it's going back to fill in this gap, so to speak so we have to stomach it. I try to be an optimistic sort with this, but my main worry is that we will see two or three movies out of this crew where they will be replacing the original crew, which is what is hinted at by what I've heard. Many of the leads have signed a 3 picture deal. I sincerely hope they don't try to make TOS era movies with this cast that are supposed to occur alongside the original series. If this movie ends with Kirk taking command of the Enterprise I don't see how else it could happen.

I held on through Enterprise which was tough to do, I don't know if I can hold on through Pine as Kirk if he is to replace Shatner through the original series. Does that make any sense?

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-12-2008, 01:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

I've had to put those feeling away just to participate on the forum but I still feel that way. I hate that they want to care this on for 3 movies...It would be a big wast of time. That's like SIX years of having to do the whole TOS thing ...can't we get something new? It's hard enough seen some other face as Kirk. You totally make sense.It's just that CBS is buying into the "Desprate for Trek" virus that takes hold a Trek fans when they haven't had it in a long time.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yeoman Rand. I REALLY disliked that simpering character, especially in the episode Miri where she whined to Kirk about him not looking at her. I love TOS but the series really came up short in the strong female Starfleet officer department it seems. There's a possible exception with Uhura, but they had her say the stupid, "Captain, I'm so scared" line in the "City on the Edge of Forever" which really annoyed me. Fortunately they made up for it though in the "Mirror, Mirror" episode where I thought she really held her own.

I was tempted to say Shatner in any form especially Kirk, but I really don't think there's any chance of that at this point, so it's not something I really fear. Sorry, but I've never been a huge fan of Shatner, and I don't really want him shoehorned in a movie that's been written and designed in mind without him.

I don't care for Chapel, but I think it was Majel's less than stellar acting that made me loathe the character more than anything else. If a new, better actress took over the role, I could see her come across as more sympathetic and tragic character.

Last edited by Starshelle : 03-12-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Federation Councillor

Star-

I tend to agree with what you said. Rand and Chapel were allways "walk ons" to me (ok, everyone don't start thrwon your Chapel action figures at me!! LOL).

Chapel because Majel was fooling around with GR (Who was still married to his first wife at this time, he was a notirious womanizer.)

Grace Lee was originally planned to be an off/on almost love intrerst for Kirk, but her alcohol abuse at the time caused her departure from the show.

If I had to pick one NOT to come back, it would be the Tribbles, for charters who only got 3 episodes total (TOS, TAS, DS9). They are lame, overly cute, and not worthy of Trek.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

Wow I didn't know she had alcohol abuse issues. That's too bad. substance abuse is always killer...

Old 03-12-2008, 02:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Grace talks about it freely in her autobiography. She has been sober for decades now, but in the 60's and 70's she was an abuser.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

It was the time of the hippies...Hendrix and many other found themselves in the bottle rather than real life...that' why I stay out of it.

I have a completely virgin liver.