The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Gay character in ST XI?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
Well, I guess the easiest way, and blunt way would to just have a gay couple saying good bye to one another before a mission.

Do not shine a spotlight on it, but still just show it. I doubt anyone would get made when they saw it.

see thats not soo bad, your not adding the token gay person to the show... just showing the diversity
Old 03-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Star Trek has never left sexuality "out of it"...Kirk always bagged the babe...heck, Spock bagged a babe and McCoy married a babe (can we assume bagging?).

It's so fun when people who support a show which is unabashedly supporting of heterosexual indulgence say "can't we just be neutral?"...

Star Trek has never been neutral on sexuality, it's been very aggressively in favor of sex, lots of it, regardless of species...so, it's about time it owned up the issue of same gender sex.

I will take a moment to say I recall a DS9 episode that did address the issue very nicely. Of course, it was girl on girl so that's always easier for the dudes, huh?

However, I think the franchise does deserve to have it acknowledged that they've dealt with the issue (to the point of having the characters kiss on screen and express their love...pretty good!).

But, until they tackle men engaged in a homosexual relationship, they will be cowards.
A fair point, but still, they were two people who fell in love as an opposite sex couple. So apparently it's ok so long as it's in reminiscence of heterosexual love...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Rear Admiral

Question... How are you posting while showing offline?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew86 View Post
Well there already is plenty of sex in Star Trek, Elizadolots already pointed out, Kirk was always after the girl. And in most cultures, men don't kiss women unless there is something else going on there either.

But I'm not talking about including sex. Why not just a reference to a loving committed relationship?
you know when I watched those scenes i had no idea what happened.
Kirk was merely in the bed with a women.

Today...it's much different. We really need to stop relating that hands off approach in the bed with the near X rated scenes that we're now seeing on the Films and the TV shows.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Read it all Andrew...I'm one of your biggest fans here (and, so far, the only one to step up to the plate) so don't miss the important parts...as I said, until they address a relationship in which two men love each other and are committed to each other and will feel utter grief at the lose of the other... the makers of Star Trek are being cowards.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew86 View Post
Well there already is plenty of sex in Star Trek, Elizadolots already pointed out, Kirk was always after the girl. And in most cultures, men don't kiss women unless there is something else going on there either.

But I'm not talking about including sex. Why not just a reference to a loving committed relationship?
Mostly because it would then, instead of driving a story (in the show's case a love interest angle), be interfering with the story for the sole purpose of making a clumsy and transparent attempt to please a small target demographic.

Hell, some within that demographic will undoubtedly be offended at such an obvious toss of the bone. No pun intended.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 PM

Threads like this make me wish that human procreation was accomplished by splitting in two like an amoeba or something. We've all been friendly with one another up until this point, and i really hate us being all divisive and what-not. It's not fun. Can we all please kiss and make up? I want to love and get along with all you guys, not argue. It feels all negative and stuff. Uh...the ship can't take it.......it's comin' apart and all that. Just f.y.i..
Old 03-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

"Toss of the bone" OMG.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Admiral

I'm so not sure what Saquist is saying...he sees Kirk in bed with women but doesn't think they've had sex???

As noted over and over and over again...there is no need to envoke visions of gay sex...all that is necessary is to acknowledge a man loving another man...make it grief, it's easy for everyone to understand.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
Threads like this make me wish that human procreation was accomplished by splitting in two like an amoeba or something. We've all been friendly with one another up until this point, and i really hate us being all divisive and what-not. It's not fun. Can we all please kiss and make up? I want to love and get along with all you guys, not argue. It feels all negative and stuff. Uh...the ship can't take it.......it's comin' apart and all that. Just f.y.i..

REALLY?! Do the differences in perspecitve really cause that much unconfortableness? I mean really...Why can't we have difference? Why does everyone have to look alike.
I think that's the question of the new century.

Closed Thread